Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sharang
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,462
Message 1 of 18

T430U Ram upgrade

I have a 4GB (4x1) system that I would like to upgrade. Is it possible for me to put in an 8GB chip into the other slot to get a total of 12GB RAM? I am thinking of getting a crucial chip or something.

Also, if that is not possible, can I get a 4GB ram chip from crucial and put it in to get a total of 8GB? Will it work if one chip is from Samsung and the other is from Crucial?

How does this pairing work guys? Thanks a lot in advance for your help and suggestions!

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 5,460
Message 2 of 18

Re: T430U Ram upgrade

You can put another 8 gigs in the second empty ram slot. Also remember that you should update to the latest bios firmware to ensure that the T430u working properly with the new ram.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Sharang
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,455
Message 3 of 18

Thank you very much for this, Jin. What is BIOS? How do I update to the latest BIOS?
Views: 5,421
Message 4 of 18

what OS are you using on your T430u?
Regards,

Jin Li

Sharang
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,383
Message 5 of 18

I am using Windows 8. 64 bit. Will it work if I just put in an 8GB chip in the other slot? I have the original Samsung 4GB that comes with the computer in the first slot.

BTW, I read your detailed review on this computer and it has truly helped me a lot. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

Sharang
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,371
Message 6 of 18

Hi Jin, So I checked and I had an older BIOS. So I updated it. I now have the BIOS version 2.06. Will it be ok now for me to get the 8GB crucial chip? Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Views: 5,346
Message 7 of 18

Yes you whould be fine now.
Regards,

Jin Li

JulienB
Paper Tape
Views: 5,069
Message 8 of 18

Hi Jin,
I was planning to do the same upgrade Sharang described on a T430u with windows 7, though. I ran the BIOS upgrade utility and am now in version 2.02 (from 1.05). My computer will not boot with the additional RAM installed but works just fine if I remove it. Also, I am a bit surprised that the utility installed 2.02 since I thought this was for windows 8 only.
Best regards,
Julien
Views: 5,056
Message 9 of 18

@JulienB,

That is pretty weird. I have tried a wide range of RAM brand in the ThinkPad T430u with the new BIOS update, and it works fine.

Are you by chance using Corsair branded ram?
Regards,

Jin Li

JulienB
Paper Tape
Views: 5,005
Message 10 of 18

Hi Jin,
I am using a tp3C/8G module from Kingston, it has a Lenovo P/N as well (0A65724) so i thought it would go smoothly. Anyway, when I try to boot my computer with the ram in, it beeps a few times right away and won't proceed.
Maybe there is something with the BIOS update: running the windows 7 utility (h6uj01ww.exe) I get a warning "BIOS image file is older than BIOS rom" . When I proceed, I get a second warning "MFGDONE is set to this system. In order to clear a MFGDONE bit, this system is restarted". When I proceed, the computer restarts and that is how 2.02 installed instead of 1.05
What I don't understand is that Lenovo website states 2.02/ 2.06 is only for windows 8. Is it really so? You have a T430u with 7, right? Are you running 2.06 on it?
Thanks a lot, hope this makes sense.
Julien

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors