cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Trioke
Not applicable
Views: 1,479
Message 1 of 10

T430i and MC7700 in DIP mode will not boot (System is Halted). Was working fine when module was QMI

I have a MC7700, which shipped in QMI mode. However, even after installing the drivers, the WWAN module will not startup. Looking at the logs, there are errors like:

ERROR AcSvc. SYSTEM(Prvlg).2988.5768[7/8]19:05:37:204 ACWanQualcomAdapter::OpenQualcomModemWrapperPort - pfn_WwanConnect failed with return code 6

In order to actually get my WWAN module to start up and connect to T-mobile, I had to switch it from QMI to DIP (using the DIP_QMI_ModeSwitch tool), and then install the DIP drivers. Viola, everything worked fine and all is good!

However, upon reboot, I get the message that I am using an unauthorized miniPCIe device... **bleep**? It was working literally 30 seconds ago, but now it's blocked?

I'm guessing when I switched the mode from QMI to DIP, the USB ID of the device changed (why...?), and now it's a device ID that's not on the white list (1199/68A3).

Since the system just freezes when I insert the WWAN module into the miniPCIe slot, is there anyway I can spoof the USB ID? If I get a miniPCIe to USB adapter and plug the module in, is there some way I can change the USB ID so that when I plug it back into the miniPCIe slot, the system will actually boot?

Even doing the trick of putting the system to sleep, swapping out the mPCIe module doesn't do the trick, as the system freezes up as soon as I insert the "unauthorized" WWAN module.

Any help is appreciated :/.

x220forme
Not applicable
Views: 1,437
Message 2 of 10

Re: T430i and MC7700 in DIP mode will not boot (System is Halted). Was working fine when module was

Hello, Trioke

Your case is very interesting.

1. You are right, ThinkPads x30 generation don't pass mc77xx cards with IDs 1199/68A3 due to the whitelist

2. Different IDs for different network modes (DIP, QMI) are implemented by Sierra's design.

3. Whitelist conformity are being tested during laptop cold start and soft reboot. That's a cause you've faced 1802 error and laptop hang with ID changed.

4. There isn't legal way to change USB IDs in the BIOS wl. Any other IDs in the wwan card except of the Lenovo authorized will cause the same issue. You might use external mini PCEe to USB adapter for any card, wl covers IDs for whireless cards in the internal PCIe slots only.

5. Regarding this test you've performed...
> Even doing the trick of putting the system to sleep, swapping out the mPCIe module doesn't do the trick, as the system freezes up as soon as I insert the "unauthorized" WWAN module.

...I'm a bit surprised. Are you sure laptop was in the sleep mode, not hibernation or hybrid sleep?

6. Firstly, I'd advice to rollback ID for QMI mode, uninstall Access Connection and test wwan card. Then we'll decide how to use AC. BTW, what the OS version is running?

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Trioke
Not applicable
Views: 1,429
Message 3 of 10

Re: T430i and MC7700 in DIP mode will not boot (System is Halted). Was working fine when module was

@x220forme wrote:

5. Regarding this test you've performed...
> Even doing the trick of putting the system to sleep, swapping out the mPCIe module doesn't do the trick, as the system freezes up as soon as I insert the "unauthorized" WWAN module.

...I'm a bit surprised. Are you sure laptop was in the sleep mode, not hibernation or hybrid sleep?

Yes, I confirmed this a few times. If a mPCIe chip is not inserted in the mPCIe slot at boot time, then putting it to sleep and waking it will not enable the mPCIe lane, so the hardware will not be detected. Fortunately for me, I have an extra MC7750 (but I do not use Verizon, so it is currently useless to me), which is part of the white list.

I've tested 3 different ways:

Method 1:

1) Boot with NO mPCIe card.

2) Put machine to sleep.

3) Insert MC7700

4) Wake up from sleep

5) Nothing happens. No halt. No new hardware detected.

Method 2:

1) Boot with MC7750 in the mPCIe slot.

2) Put machine to sleep.

3) Remove MC7750 and insert MC7700.

4) Wake up from sleep.

5) The system will seemingly "hard reboot" and error 1802.

Method 3:

1) Boot with MC7750 in the mPCIe slot.

2) Do NOT put machine to sleep, simply hot-remove MC7750 with machine still on.

3) Insert MC7700.

4) The machine will instantly freeze up (does not even BSOD, the machine just halts).

Clearly with the new BIOS updates, Lenovo wised up and likely perform Whitelist detection everytime a mPCIe device is plugged/unplugged, and not merely at boot time. This is very unfortunate...

@x220forme wrote:

6. Firstly, I'd advice to rollback ID for QMI mode, uninstall Access Connection and test wwan card. Then we'll decide how to use AC. BTW, what the OS version is running?

My OS is Windows 7 Pro 64bit. BIOS version 2.63.

I have already uninstalled Access Connection. I cannot roll back from DIP to QMI since I can't actually boot the machine with the MC7700 in DIP mode to use the ModeSwitch tool to switch it back...

Will getting an external mPCIe to USB adapter allow the mode switch to take place? Something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-PCI-e-Wireless-WWAN-to-USB-Adapter-card-With-SIM-Card-Slot-Module-testi...

I do not want to use it permanently with a USB adapter (that defeats the purpose of a mPCIe module!). I want to use the adapter to switch back from DIP to QMI (and attempt to get the drivers to work under QMI mode... *sighs*).

x220forme
Not applicable
Views: 1,417
Message 4 of 10

Trioke wrote:

> Yes, I confirmed this a few times.

I know tens cases, with ThinkPads x30 generation and this or similar modems. There isn't a problem to change IDs if laptop is/was in the real sleep mode. Of course, with user's own risks and accuracy.

> If a mPCIe chip is not inserted in the mPCIe slot at boot time, then putting it to sleep and waking it will not enable the mPCIe lane, so the hardware will not be detected.

You can tape the modem's pins #20 and #51 to prevent the EC/BIOS to lock it for the ID changing purpose.

> 2) Do NOT put machine to sleep, simply hot-remove MC7750 with machine still on.

That was the biggest mistake, you had giant chances to damage the laptop and/or wwan card.

> 4) The machine will freeze up.

I thinks this is due to some PCIe management lanes

> Lenovo ... likely perform Whitelist detection everytime a mPCIe device is plugged/unplugged, and not merely at boot time.

No, only cold start and soft reboot are the stages for the the wl control.

> Will getting an external mPCIe to USB adapter allow the mode switch to take place?

That adapter might help.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Trioke
Not applicable
Views: 1,406
Message 5 of 10

@x220forme wrote:

I know tens cases, with ThinkPads x30 generation and this or similar modems. There isn't a problem to change IDs if laptop is/was in the real sleep mode. Of course, with user's own risks and accuracy.

Okay, I'm inclined to believe your experience, but for some reason, this didn't work for my particular machine Smiley Sad

Either way, I resolved this issue by spending my entire day taking apart laptops looking for a mPCIe port that wasn't white listed (I literally went through 6+ laptops!). To save everyone some time, the laptop I finally got working was Dell latitude E4300 (I tried with Latitude D630, but it will not recognize the hardware at all). HP's have whitelists, so they are a no-go.

What I did was:

1) Insert MC7700 into Dell E4300's mPCIe slot (accessible via a simple hatch on the bottom of the laptop).

2) Boot up, and install Generic DIP drivers (http://hptouchpad4g.com/Support/sierra/windows/DirectIP/SWI_UMTS_Drivers_v3066_Generic.zip).

3) After installing the Generic DIP drivers, MC7700 should be properly detected by the OS, at this point you can use the DIP_QMI_ModeSwitch.exe app to revert from DIP to QMI mode: http://hptouchpad4g.com/Support/sierra/windows/ModeSwitch/BZ31018_DIP_QMI_ModeSwitch.zip.

4) Once you see that the Mode Switch was Correct, you can shut down the machine and remove the MC7700 card.

At this point, install it into your T430 and this QMI driver finally worked for me (installing the Lenovo QMI drivers did NOT work--which is what got me to switch my mode into DIP in the first place. Save yourself some headache and install the driver directly from Sierra Wireless):

http://source.sierrawireless.com/resources/airprime/software/usb-drivers-build-4277/

You can install the Skylight Watcher app to manage your MC7700 card (I don't think it's necessary, as you can connect using the Windows Wireless management utility):

http://source.sierrawireless.com/resources/airprime/development_kits/skylight-connection-manager-bui...

Once everything is working and properly configured, you should be able to connect via the Windows Wireless management utility (Don't forget to actually TURN ON your WWAN Radio! Fn + F5):

MC7700.pngMC7700 connected to T-mobile

SUCCESS!

x220forme
Not applicable
Views: 1,392
Message 6 of 10

Glad to see your success, Trioke.

yalgiz
Not applicable
Views: 1,106
Message 7 of 10

hi

what is idicated error ?is it 1199/68a3?

x220forme
Not applicable
Views: 1,100
Message 8 of 10

yalgiz,

mc7710 in the DirectIP mode has 1199/68a3 USB IDs not whitelisted.

carlos1984
Not applicable
Views: 886
Message 9 of 10

Thanks man I had the same problem on my t430,

I will try this when I get home.

Here is my experience.

I believe it was 2 years ago that I bought a Sierra Wireless WWAN card for my Lenovo T430, the person I bought it from said it was unlocked , I got it and installed it and everything worked fine with my original provider.

Just resently I switch and the WWAN card would not connect so I read somewhere that you had to do a Switch modes from QMI to DIP which I did.

After doing a restart the Lenov T430 will not boot and gives me a message saying that “Unautorizedd network Card” This is weird as I did not have this problem prior to switching from QMI to DIP. The laptop booted up just fine.

I tried looking for the seller I bought it from to ask him what he did to the card to make it work in unsupported laptops but I cannot find him since I bought it so long ago.

I hope your fix works.

x220forme
Not applicable
Views: 882
Message 10 of 10

Hello, carlos1984

As I explained above, mc77xx in DIP and QMI modes have different USB IDs. Those ones for DIP mode aren't whitelisted in the T430i' BIOS, so, you have faced an error 1802.

Why did you switch the modem mode to DIP?
You might switch it back, to the QMI mode:
- remove modem from the laptop
- send the laptop to the sleep mode, carefully insert the modem to the slot, resume it and switch the mode.

ps. Please, do not duplicate the same post in different threads as you've done. It contradicts to the forum' Guidelines. Thanks.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors