cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zmdagworm
Fanfold Paper
Views: 69,021
Message 1 of 31

T430s - 2100: Detection error on HDD0 (Main HDD)

Hello everybody,

I know that there are some other posts with this error message. But they all appear on other devices and none of them has a solution which is working for me.

I got a T430s back from one of our users which showed this error (mentioned in subject) when booting. I had no no chance to enter BIOS too.

1. I copied all partitions to another SSD and replaced it => the error came up again after few days

=> so I thought it must be an hardware issue concerning the internal SATA-connector

2. I put the SSD in a completely new device and ordered a replacement of the mainboard because there was waranty left on the older device.

3. Yesterday they came and replaced the mainboard of the older device.

4. Today the user came back with the same error on the new device with the new SSD

In every case it helps to remove the SSD one time and insert it again - then the SSD is detected correctly - until the error appears again after few days of usage.

The only thing I did not try until now is to insert the SSD in the old device with the new mainboard.

Before I forget this: BIOS is Ver. 2.52 (I see there is 2.54 available since few days, but change log does not say something important - gonna check that later and post it)

Any ideas?

Thx Martin

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 68,878
Message 2 of 31

Re: T430s - 2100: Detection error on HDD0 (Main HDD)

check with the OEM of the SSD drive. You did not mention the Make/model of the SSD. Maybe there is a firmware update for the SSD drive. Especially since the 430 has SATA3 interface.

If its not hardware you'd need to assess what you're doing software wise in the "copied all partitions ot another SSD..." I have found out cloning can cause problems and partitions become misaligned. When I went ahead to fix the misalignment with Mini partition Manager it corrupted the registry and so other files. Various applications cannot be updated or uninstalled. I have to reimage it and not clone from the source to get it right.

A quick test is to just to a base install on one of the SSD's (EG Windows 7) after purging all the partitions. Letting the OS configure, partition & format the NTFS drive. If it works after that then its not the hardware and a software issue.

My thoughts anyway.
T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

zmdagworm
Fanfold Paper
Views: 68,865
Message 3 of 31

hi tripplec,

thx for your reply.

Don't have the model of the SSD in my mind but guess it's an Intel drive from one of the latest series (will check this tomorrow). We order a lot of this devices pre-configured with SSD in a systemhouse with much expert knowledge. We dont buy parts separately to minimize the risk of hardwareincompatibility. That's why I don't believe this is a general problem with the SSD model, but sure you are right - I have to check that.

The explanation with the software you mentioned does not explain for me why the complete device cannot be detected. The hardware detection and initialization should happen in a very early state of booting - long before all this partition stuff has any impact on the bootprocess (a completely unpartinioned drive would appear with modelname and serialnumber in Bios and the list of available boot devices). If this was a software issue you should get an error in the way that there is something wrong with the partitions or that no OS could be found or something like this - but no Hardware detection error. 

But of course you are right, if it does not work to replace the SSD into the device with the new mainboard I will have to make a completely new OS installation on the device. I will post the results.

regards Martin

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 68,857
Message 4 of 31

check the firmware level on the SSD and upgrade if there is a newer release. I have to agreed with you that it should not be the software if its a handshaking issue in detection. If its trying to read the MBR or something at that time who knows. You could just blow away everything (no OS, not partitions and see if it still does it) If it does then I guess its firmware & BIOS talking issues in the SATA buss.

Weird things happen when troubleshooting. Like the old saying went. If you check everything possible you think it could be and its not that then whatever is left must be the problem.

You may have received a different model, version and/or model/firmwware combo which is causing all this grief. Look at any that are working and see what combinations are working and look for the irregularity.

PS The beauty of wokring with this on an SSD is it very quick to rebuild a drive if connected to the SATA buss where the transfer speed is so fast.

T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

syknight
What's DOS?
Views: 68,776
Message 5 of 31

Hello, Martin,

I own a T430s and have a similar problem.

I see a message saying "HDD detection error" or similar and computer reboots. It fails to find the main HDD until I power off and power on again. Then it finds the HDD and boots up.

This is annoying and potentially dangerous to lose my data and also HDD itself.

I use Samsung 830 SSD 256GB model.

I googled a bit and found this link:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-72837

I don't know if this is related or not, but I installed it today.

I got the error message just now when I was waking up my computer from sleep.

I will see if this fixes the issue.
ndeavour
What's DOS?
Views: 68,730
Message 6 of 31

It is possible to defeat the error and get back to Windows by invoking the built-in diagnostics on the ThinkPad.

Hold down F10 as you power up; that brings up Lenovo Diagnostics.  Run any diagnostics that are available (likely only the quick memory test and no hard disk test); reboot and you will see Windows start running again.  You can then shut down, repeat the boot holding down F10, and run the disk diagnostics and grab the results for a call to support.   The drive doesn't need replacing - but you have to get the firmware updated.  

I manage 200+ Thinkpads and over 40 are T430S machines.  I had a sudden episode of two machines with the same error and went back to my vendor - who went to Lenovo where we managed to determine the common denominator to be Micron C300 SSD's that needed firmware updates.   Support can walk you through determining the manufacturer of the drive.   Firmware updates are available for a number of them, although this problem seems confined to the Microns.

The firmware fix for Micron drives I was given is here:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=HT062331

Download it, burn the ISO file to a cd, and boot from it.  You may need to grab something to burn ISO files first, but once you have it, it's a blessing.  

skicoach30
What's DOS?
Views: 67,373
Message 7 of 31

I tried this, but no luck.  I am using a Lenovo T430s with Samsung MZ7TD256HAFV-000L7 OPAL drives and firmware version DXT04L6Q.  My drives are encrypted with WinMagic SecureDoc Enterprise v6.1.  Lenovo has said that they will release a new firmware on 9 Aug 2013, but I have 102 of these encrypted OPAL drives out in the field and in the last two weeks I've had 6 fail with this 2100 error.  WinMagic is telling me to not deploy any more computers and Lenovo isn't saying anything other than a fix will be available next week.

GreenEnvy
Paper Tape
Views: 65,351
Message 8 of 31

I'm getting this on a new Lenovo T430 wish a normal HDD.
Laptop boots and works for a day or two sometimes, sometimes only a few minutes. Then we hear some beeps come from the laptop (while in Windows, or sometimes while windows is loading), and the computer freezes.
It eventually reboots on it's own, and we get the 2100 error mentioned in this thread.
Powering off for a bit and rebooting works for a while.

I'm going to bring it in for repair, and assume it's the HDD since everyone else here seems to be having this issue with SSD's only.
ghanz84
Paper Tape
Views: 65,158
Message 9 of 31

I encounter this on a T430s with a hard drive. When the error 2100: Detection error happens, both HDD0 & the DVD drive cannot be detected in the Lenovo Boot menu or Diagnostic tool. 

When the hard drive is detected, it works fine, SMART values are good but the laptop gets a BSOD ocassionally.

Hard drive works fine in another T430S.

Seems like a faulty mobo to me.

I noticed that the silver metallic frame above the hard drive on the laptop is warped. 

That may have cause flexing in the mobo PCB above it.

mattudub
Fanfold Paper
Views: 64,568
Message 10 of 31

hey guys - do we have an ultimate solution to the problem? i am getting the same 2100 error messages from out of the bue... then upon reseting it all works fine for a while. i am using samsung ssd 840 series 256GB, the driver is up to date. 

EDIT: i updated the BIOS (from 2.53 to 2.57), did a diagnostics before booting - the first 2 tests went ok, but the 3rd, the drive self test didn't work, it stopped at 00%, and after one hr i just canceled it... reckon that could be an issue? i did download the lenovo solution centre and ran a storage device diagnostics in windows and every test passed.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors