Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
GodHand
Fanfold Paper
Views: 245
Message 1 of 3

T430s HD1/HD2 passwords work in BIOS, but not during boot-up.

I decided to put 2 new SSDs into one of my ThinkPads (T430s).  After setting the User+Master HD passwords in the BIOS, it seems as though the boot-up process only regonizes the passwords after the 1st restart after setting a password on the drives but return the 'X' after that.  Oddly, both passwords are recognized within the BIOS UEFI settings themselves.  So I've set, reset, returned to default, etc. the BIOS settings but it will not regonize either the User nor Master passwords during boot-up despite regonizing both just fine in the BIOS settings.

I've had many different hard drives in the T430s over the years, and have never had any issue, but I'm not quite understanding how the BIOS itself can regonize the passwords just fine - allowing me to remove them and set them again - but when entering them during the actual boot processes, I get the 'X', and it does not matter whether I use the User password or the Master password after hitting the F1 key.

Mind you this is for BOTH drives, not just the primary drive.  Both passwords are entered correctly, too.  I even changed them to the lowest character limit available and like before, the passwords are accepted only after the 1st reboot after initially setting them, but they are not recognized any time after.

There have been no changes to the device other than the swap to the X300s, and the latest UEFI BIOS flash a few weeks ago (no problems there).

Anyone encounter this before?

*EDIT* Forgot to mention - I am using NO special characters in the passwords.

GodHand
Fanfold Paper
Views: 179
Message 2 of 3

Re: T430s HD1/HD2 passwords work in BIOS, but not during boot-up.

I ended up correcting this issue by removing all passwords, clearing the fingerprint reader then the TPM.  I then rebooted back into the BIOS and reset the passwords and now boot-up recognizes the passwords as it should.  It appears as if there was some conflict between the fingerprint reader and the manual entering of the passwords where it would only recognize passwords if a fingerprint was used to unlock the device.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 176
Message 3 of 3

Re: T430s HD1/HD2 passwords work in BIOS, but not during boot-up.

Glad you got it sorted.

Thanks for returning to post your update.

Cheers.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors