Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jkm
Blue Screen Again
Views: 726
Message 1 of 7

T430s - Misaligned function keys?

Hi folks,

I have a quick question for T430/T430s owners. I recently received a new T430s, and it all looks great so far, except that the top row of function keys seem to be misaligned.

I've seen other posts say that light leaks out from under the function keys, and that the function keys seem raised a little bit from the other keys on the keyboard. Both of those things are true of my keyboard, but that wouldn't particularly bother me.

What's strange about mine is that that the row of function keys is actually angled backwards---so that the front lip of the keys is higher than the back. If I hold the keyboard at eye level and look across from the side it's very noticeable.

Are other people's keyboards like this too, or does mine have some extra special function key weirdness?! If that's just how they are, I'm sure I'll get used to it, but I thought I should check and make sure it isn't a fault.

Thanks,

James

brian10852
Token Ring
Views: 676
Message 2 of 7

Re: T430s - Misaligned function keys?

Hi jkm,

Doesn't sound very normal. Can you post pictures of your keyboard? This would better help us visualize what the keys look like.

My Thinkpads: T42 (GPU failure), T60, W530
W530: Windows 7 Pro | i7-3720qm | FHD screen | 256gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD | 500GB Ultrabay HDD | 16gb Crucial RAM | Nvidia K1000m
lakegeezer
Fanfold Paper
Views: 651
Message 3 of 7

Just checked my T431s keyboard down the side as you suggested and indeed, they slope towards the back.  It looks as if it was designed that way though.  It doesn't bother me.  In fact, I kinda like it for finger navigation.  

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 632
Message 4 of 7

it happens on my T430s, or any ThinkPad that has the same backlit keyboard (i.e. X230t, X230, T430, T530, W530).
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
jkm
Blue Screen Again
Views: 609
Message 5 of 7

Thanks for the replies everyone. I would post a photo, but I don't have a camera at the moment.

It sounds like my key alignment might be standard, which is reassuring---it'll save me the hassle of getting it replaced. I'm sure I'll get used it, though it still seems like a rather odd design to me. Any ideas what the thinking was?

Cheers,

James

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 583
Message 6 of 7

there are quite lot of variables that may cause the function row to bend backwards, it is probably not an intrinsic design but rather something that happened as the result of production process they used to produce the keyboard.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Burz
Punch Card
Views: 535
Message 7 of 7

@lead_org wrote:
there are quite lot of variables that may cause the function row to bend backwards, it is probably not an intrinsic design but rather something that happened as the result of production process they used to produce the keyboard.

You're probably right. My T430s has Fkeys that are aligned flat with the body. However my keyboard also has fit/finish issues such as a 2mm gap behind the power/audio button strip, and some areas are a bit loose and flex while typing. Maybe Lenovo are now using some quick and dirty methods (like bending or offsetting) to make keyboards fit better.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors