Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Guru
Message 1 of 19 (6,803 Views)

T430s on AC -- Shutdown restarts, not shut down/power off

I have a T430s running Win7 Home Pro.

On battery power, when I click Start, Shutdown the system shuts down completely.

On AC power, with or without the battery installed, when I click Start, Shutdown the system goes through the usual shut down stuff but then the backlit keyboard, ThinkLight and speaker/mic mute buttons momentarily light up and the system restarts itself. This is different from a standard Restart in that the lights come on during the start sequence.

I've checked the obvious (at least to me) stuff, e.g.

1. Power Button Action in Taskbar Properties, Start Menu is set to Shutdown.

2. Control Panel, Power options, Change plan settings, Change Advanced settings, Power buttons and lid,...

3. Control Panel, Power options, Choose what the power buttons do...

4. I even found a registry key, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_PowerButtonAction

All of these are set to shut the system down. And yet the T430s restarts itself when shut down on AC power.

Any ideas on how to make Shutdown mean Shutdown and power off?

Message 2 of 19 (6,800 Views)

Re: T430s on AC -- Shutdown restarts, not shut down/power off

Call tech support. It new system.

If they don't have an answer or resolve it. Its DOA simple enough.
T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

Guru
Message 3 of 19 (6,785 Views)

So you think it's hardware? Drat!

I'm about to embark on several lengthy trips. I bought the T430s specifically for these trips so I don't want to leave it behind. Unless someone has a software fix I'm not likely going to be able to send this to Lenovo repair until after Canadian Thanksgiving.

Message 4 of 19 (6,776 Views)

Wow, tripplec really jumped on the DOA conclusion there.

For what it's worth, I'm getting the same problem, but only in Linux, and only sometimes (about 1/6 times). I'm pretty sure it's software, not hardware (since it never happened in Windows). There are lots of reports online about different systems having the same kind of behaviour. Some are due to flaky Wake-on-LAN features, others to USB things. Still looking for the right cure.

Haven't figured it out yet, but I'm almost sure there must be a (software) solution.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
T430: i7-3520M, NVS5400, 1600x900, SSD+HDD. Debian + Windows7.
SCSI Port
Message 5 of 19 (6,745 Views)

[ Edited ]

I'm afraid this is probably no help for hausman, but I did manage to fix the problem on linux... The system would reboot instead of shutdown only when on battery (and only on Linux). I use Debian with the laptop-mode-tools package, which seems to be the trigger for the problem (the actual cause being some ACPI bug in the kernel, apparently). Until that gets fixed, this was my workaround (based on https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=133108). The solution is Debian-specific. It includes a solution for another problem (error messages about the intel gigabit module e1000e slowing down shutdown)

Create a file called shutdownfixes.sh in /etc/init.d, as root:

#!/bin/sh -e
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:          MIHAI
# Required-Start:    
# Required-Stop:     
# X-Stop-After:      $network
# Default-Start:     
# Default-Stop:      0
# Short-Description: Things added by Mihai for shutdown.
# Description:       Things added by Mihai for shutdown.
### END INIT INFO

PATH="/sbin:/bin"

echo -n "Preparing PCI busses for shutdown..."
for i in /sys/bus/pci/devices/*/power/control; do
  echo on > $i
done
echo "done."

echo -n "Removing e1000e module..."
lsmod | grep -q e1000e && rmmod e1000e
echo "done."

And make it executable:

chmod ugo+x /etc/init.d/shutdownfixes.sh

Then install it:

su

cd /etc/init.d

update-rc.d shutdownfixes.sh start 8 0 0 .

And the next shutdown on battery should be clean. Hope this helps someone.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
T430: i7-3520M, NVS5400, 1600x900, SSD+HDD. Debian + Windows7.
Guru
Message 6 of 19 (6,736 Views)

bmihai wrote:

I'm afraid this is probably no help for hausman, but I did manage to fix the problem on linux... The system would reboot instead of shutdown only when on battery (and only on Linux). I use Debian with the laptop-mode-tools package, which seems to be the trigger for the problem (the actual cause being some ACPI bug in the kernel, apparently). Until that gets fixed, this was my workaround .... Hope this helps someone.

Thank you.

It does help in the sense that it indicates a software issue rather than hardware. Presumably the software will get fixed soon. I can live with this for a while. If I want to do complete shut down then I just have to remember to disconnect AC power first. A hardware issue would force me to send the T430s back for service which would be a real hassle.

Message 7 of 19 (6,728 Views)

bmihai wrote:

Wow, tripplec really jumped on the DOA conclusion there.

For what it's worth, I'm getting the same problem, but only in Linux, and only sometimes (about 1/6 times). I'm pretty sure it's software, not hardware (since it never happened in Windows). There are lots of reports online about different systems having the same kind of behaviour. Some are due to flaky Wake-on-LAN features, others to USB things. Still looking for the right cure.

Haven't figured it out yet, but I'm almost sure there must be a (software) solution.

Well it is a new machine and new series.

I had not read anything of anyone having an issue like that before. If its a Kernal bug then other systems should exhibit it as well. Mine included under the same conditions. If this can be replicated as a problem on other systems then Lenovo should get right on it and work for a resolution.

Thats good news I suppose but still a problem you would not want for a very long time.

I would still give them a call and have a case entered. The forum is not an official bug or repair reporting media. Although some issues have been excalated when presented formally to the correct teams for action.

T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

Paper Tape
Message 8 of 19 (6,018 Views)

I have this same problem (Windows 7). when connected to AC power and after shutting down the computer, it automatically restarts. When I shut it down again at the logon menu, it finally shuts off. I do hope someone or Lenovo will tell me what I can do to fix this. Last time I called Lenovo with another problem, some support person (who was not a technical expert, but a customer service rep who fielded calls) took down my number and my issue, but no one with any expertise ever called me back, so I don't have a lot of faith in customer support.

Guru
Message 9 of 19 (6,004 Views)

lak1 wrote:

I have this same problem (Windows 7). .... I do hope someone or Lenovo will tell me what I can do to fix this.

The problem went away for me after a BIOS update.

What version of BIOS is running on your T430s? (Start Lenovo Solution Center then look for it under System Information.)

Message 10 of 19 (5,959 Views)

Thanks for suggesting the fix and for explaining to me how to identify the BIOS version, which actually took me awhile to find despite your kind instructions!). So I am running G7ET60WW (2.02). I retrieved the current updates and saw that there was one for the BIOS, but when I tried download the update, it just kept getting to the end and saying it could not download! So maybe I will wait awhile and try again. All of the other updates downloaded and installed fine, but of course the one that I really want is not cooperating!

Top kudoed Authors