Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DThompsonMG
Paper Tape
Views: 646
Message 1 of 5

T430s with Nvidia does not drive multiple monitors

I just received a new T430s (to replace my T420s with i7 and Nvidia).

The T430s is Type 2352 with i7 and the Nvidia card.

When I attempt to use it with my Docking Station 3 (170 watt version) with 3 external Lenovo monitors  -  the T430s will only drive 1 external monitor and the laptop screen.

The T420s would drive all 3 external screens and the laptop screen at the same time.

The T430s has the 2.05 bios update.  The Nvida control panel is version 296.88  (later versions result in either BSOD or non-installs).

The Nvidia control panel task tree does not list any branches except the 3D one.  i.e.: it does not list either "Video" or "Display".

I have already spend 2 hours with phone support at Lenovo (they do not have a clue what to do - except replace the Nvidia card).

The Windows update lists both a Intel HD 4000 update and a Nvidia update as available.  Both fail to install or result in BSOD.

The Lenovo update does not list any updates available to either the HD 4000 or the Nvidia.

Does anyone know if the T430s with the Nvidia will drive 3 external monitors and the LCD (a 4th) from the 170 watt dock like the T420s did?  And if so, how to get it to do so.

Thanks.

(Very frustrated  -  as I set up 2 MacBook Airs in less time than it took on the phone with Lenovo Tech support to provide no answers).  I will probably direct my IT dept. on Wednesday to stop buying Lenovo and MS products and make the switch to Apple across the board.

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 642
Message 2 of 5

Re: T430s with Nvidia does not drive multiple monitors

The monitor support is inconsistent across this platform. The T530 would have the best multi monitor support. These as well as other fact need to be verified in advance. There are some threads on this already which you may be able to search for. I am amazed at how many people buy a 4xx series when they want to use it as a desktop equivalent with many monitors. They're small for a reason. Sorry but having read so many posts I have to chuckle.

T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

ThorsHammer
Bit Torrent
Views: 637
Message 3 of 5

See http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=HT074304 for the supported configurations.

All monitors are driven with the Intel HD 4000.

DThompsonMG
Paper Tape
Views: 575
Message 4 of 5

Spoiler
Update:  Lenovo had the motherboard replaced.  Same problem.
Spoiler

Spoiler
The issue is the software from either Nvidia or Lenovo does not allow this machine to support the 4 monitors that Lenovo claims it will suppoort in their on-line marketing materials (using the 170 watt Docking station).
Spoiler

Spoiler
Lenovo's solution was to issue a RMA.  A process that took 2 more hours and 4 phone calls.

ThorsHammer
Bit Torrent
Views: 570
Message 5 of 5

Where do you see "Lenovo claims it will suppoort in their on-line marketing materials (using the 170 watt Docking station)." ???

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors