Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SaajidS
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,777
Message 1 of 34

T430u - Crashes when resuming from sleep mode after Windows 8.1 Update

Hi Guys,

After updating my OS to Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit (from Windows 8 Pro 64-bit) on my T430u i am experiencing a problem when resuming from Sleep Mode.  I usually lock my PC and press Fn+ F4 to take the system into sleep mode.

When opening the lid to resume, the system crashes and reboots.  Since updating to Windows 8.1, this has happened 3 days in a row (Today being day 3).  I have all the updated drivers as per Lenovo System update.  Windows update does not have anything for this either. 

On Windows 8 Pro 64-bit, prior to the upgrade, this was not a problem and worked beautifully. 

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? is there a solution for this?

Guru
Views: 5,724
Message 2 of 34

Re: T430u - Crashes when resuming from sleep mode after Windows 8.1 Update

Hi there, welcome to the forum!

There is a possibility that Hybrid Sleep is responsible for this behavior. Try disabling this feature from your Power Management settings and see if the situation has changed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.
SaajidS
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,709
Message 3 of 34

Hi BigBlack,

Thanks for the response. However, Hybrid sleep has always been off.

I noticed the past couple of days, it seems to be crashing with with an error now System Thread Exception not handled and this seems to be pointing to the Microsoft Virtual Wifi Driver (VWIFIFLT.sys) as the faulting module/file.

Trying to research this further, any solutions will be appreciated if you have come across it. All of this has started after the upgrade.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Regards,
Saajid
Guru
Views: 5,706
Message 4 of 34

It seems that the driver for your Wifi card has a conflict with the Microsoft Virtual Wifi Driver. These things happen in transitions, unfortunately. I need some more information though to see if there's a solution.

So, which is your wifi adapter? Have you activated Internet Connection Sharing now or in the past? Which is the driver version reported by Windows for your wifi card?

Seeif the manufacturer of your wifi card has released a driver for win 8.1. If it is so, download and install it. Please report back here, let's hope there's an easy solution.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.
SaajidS
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,696
Message 5 of 34

Thanks again for the response. Unfortunately it is a Broadcom Wifi Adapter (According to the drivers but the Lenovo Parts search site has no definite description of the item), and they do not have drivers for it on their website, they request you to contact your vendor. Yesterday I had also switched off my Wifi adapter as I use the Ethernet connection here at work.

I noticed something very strange as well, system update 5.03 seems to not be picking up the new updates available for windows 8.1. I found a few items which I had to manually download and update namely, Lenovo dependency package, Power management, finger print software, etc. No wireless drivers there though. I discovered this after comparing the versions installed on my PC to the latest available on the Lenovo site. This is rather worrying.

I have tried identifying the wireless adapter from the Lenovo Parts site, but it only has the description as being FRU CBT 1*1 Combo for the WLAN, which doesn't help with the drivers. By comparing the device description on Windows Device Manager, it has been narrowed down to the Realtek drivers or Thinkpad Wireless drivers...both have support for the exact same description. I will try downloading the Realtek drivers and the older version of the Broadcom drivers that is on the website and try them both and see if there are any issues. Will also check if Realtek have released any new drivers for this as well. Will let you know the results.
Guru
Views: 5,690
Message 6 of 34

Hi SaajidS, don't mention it, I'm glad if I can help.

It seems there is a bit of confusion around the manufacturer of your Wifi card. If it's Thinkpad or Realtek, ok, it's the same manufacturer, Realtek. But it cant be at the same time Broadcom, this could be the cable ethernet adapter.

Could you please clarify by giving the Hardware Id of the Wifi card? You can find it in Device Manager -> Network adapters-> double click your wifi adapter -> go to Details tab -> click on the drop down menu, select "Hardware Ids -> copy and paste this information here.

Also, can you remember if you have ever activated Internet sharing Connection from the adapter's settings?

SaajidS
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,685
Message 7 of 34

Hi,

I have uninstalled the device, even selected deleted the software/drivers when uninstalling from device manager. This is what Windows detects the adapter as:

Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter

As far as I can remember, I have never activated the Internet Connection sharing on the adapter.

as per your request, this is the Hardware ID:
PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4727&SUBSYS_060814E4&REV_01
PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4727&SUBSYS_060814E4
PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4727&CC_028000
PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4727&CC_0280

When installing the Realtek drivers, windows comes up with an error and states that the device is now disabled. That's when I decided to let the system auto detect the drivers.

Thanks for your time and effort on this issue, its driving me crazy!
Guru
Views: 5,678
Message 8 of 34

Ok, so it's certainly a Broadcom wifi adapter. The Lenovo nomenclature refers to it as "1x1 11b/g/n Wireless LAN PCI Express Half Mini Card Adapter (43142)". But why are you trying to install Realtek drivers?

The only driver I could find is this one, for Windows 8. Please uninstall all other drivers, reboot and install this one, or let Windows find a suitable driver and see if that works. Also please read the document from the link, it gives detailed instructions on installation and uninstallation, how to check version number etc.

It might be the case that you have to wait a bit for an updated driver for win 8.1 to resolve the problem, but It doesn't hurt if we try to find a solution.

SaajidS
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,674
Message 9 of 34

According to the description on the device manager, it had it listed as "1x1 11b/g/n Wireless LAN PCI Express Half Mini Card Adapter". Upon investigation on the drivers, it came up with two different manufacturers that had the same description listed in their support section (When you click on learn more). Hence, I decided to try the alternate to see if that would help.

Thanks for the link, I was going to try this one as well as my searches had also found the same. It is a lower version than the one that was installed on mines (which Lenovo System Update had updated).

Will let you know if these had any impact, it is possible that we might need specific 8.1 drivers for this bit of hardware, but hey...if gets sorted out before that...that's cool too!

Btw, I did uninstall the drivers in the method described, and also installed it as requested.

Thanks again for all the effort and time in assisting, very much appreciated!
Guru
Views: 5,654
Message 10 of 34

Yes, you are right about the description, the only part of it that is different are the numbers in parenthesis and you only can see that in the description at the end of the page.

Anyway, good luck, I hope it gets solved. Win 8.1 has brought a variety of glitches here and there, most of them drivers issues I think. Most are solved with newer drivers from the manufacturers. Thanks for reporting about this with details, it will help others as well!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors