Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ebud
What's DOS?
Views: 158
Message 1 of 5

T440 Won't start

My T440 has been working without issue for a few years, but recently it left to go to sleep and it would not restart... appeared completely dead.  Plugged in the AC and got the 3 LED flashes at the power button, but still nothing... no power.

After reading other posts I ended up opening up the case and disconnecting the internal battery and the CMOS battery, reconnecting them, close it up and plug in the AC and it's working again once I update the time settings in the BIOS.

I have since update the BIOS to the latest version, fully charged the batteries and used the Lenovo tools to check the system and all reports good including the batteries, but it's still having issues

1. I can't shut it down, it does a restart unless I hold the power button.
  2. If I leave it to go to sleep I get the "no start/no power" issue and need to open up the case again.
  3. If I force a shutdown and leave it overnight I getthe "no start/no power" issue and need to open up the case again.

Obviously this is not ideal and I would like to resolve/fix whatever the issue is?

PS - The reset hole on the bottom doesn't work

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 107
Message 2 of 5

Re: T440 Won't start

Hi Ebud! 

Welcome to the Lenovo forum discussion! 

We recommend contacting the Lenovo Think Support at 1-800-565-3344 and inquire for a complete diagnosis/repair service as this could be a possible hardware malfunction with the laptop. 

Alternatively, you can bring the laptop to a service provider https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht118678?CID=ww:lenovosocial:20x9m6 (filter by country) and inquire for a warranty service. We hope everything will turn out smoothly. 

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Disapp2
Blue Screen Again
Views: 48
Message 3 of 5

My T440s has been perfect from the start (2014), but now it either won't start or will start and goes as far as the user icons to click. I have gone through all of the posts for this problem and acted upon the following:

1. Removed the battery pack and pushed the reset button for 5 seconds. Result: nothing.

2. With the battery pack removed, I opened the case and unplugged the internal battery. Then I plugged in the external power supply and tried unsuccessfully to start the computer. Next I unplugged the external power supply, replugged the internal battery, closed the case, put back in the ext. battery pack and put it on the dock this time (in case there might be a problem with the ext. power supply). The computer started normally with its sounds and pictures until it came to the icons for entering the user programs. At that point it went dead. The ON"button blinked several times and went off. It would not come back on.

At this point I am out of options. Any  more suggestions? Please! I am on an old and sluggish Dell with XP and hope I can receive an email if anyone replies. Thank you.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 45
Message 4 of 5

Try hitting F10 at startup to get to built-in diagnostics.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Ebud
What's DOS?
Views: 21
Message 5 of 5

Seems fine with the external battery removed, and will run without AC for a white, but basically needs to plugged in now. So either the battery is bad or some other electronic are toast. How can test the battery? I checks out as Good using the Lenovo software on the laptop and appears to full charge etc..

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors