cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guldmissen
Blue Screen Again
Views: 144
Message 1 of 4

T440 with only backlight on - should I buy it?

Hi

I have a chance of buying this Lenovo Thinkpad T440 for a resonable price. The thing is the display only shows the backlight as shown in the picture I have attached. 

Would it be safe to say that, if I buy it, and hook it up to an external monitor and that display comes on fine, then I can just purchase a new 1600x900 display for the T440, replace it and all will work wonderfully?

Or is it something else that makes the screen look like this? Thanks in advance.

ThatsSoTimur
HDMI
Views: 126
Message 2 of 4

Re: T440 with only backlight on - should I buy it?

It depends if the specs are good. I have a Thinkpad T410 and it's been a great laptop these years. The external monitor will display it fine. The display may have a connection issue with it's built in display. For example if the ribbon connector isn't plugged in well or one of the pins is not in this happens. But just in case do your research

Guldmissen
Blue Screen Again
Views: 122
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for replaying... But my real issue is that I would like a fully working laptop and I am worried if it's just the screen of the laptop which is the issue and can be replaced... Or maybe it's something on the motherboard that isnt just right away fixable? Does anyone know?

Edit; It's an Intel i7-4600U 2,1GHz

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 79
Message 4 of 4

It is impossible to be certain without swapping parts.  This sort of problem is USUALLY a bad panel.  There are separate outputs for external displays so a working external display is not a guarantee that the LCD output is good.  I can say that there are fewer things that can go wrong with the motherboard's display output if the motherboard has integrated (Intel)) graphics, rather than a discrete GPU.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors