Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cilo59
Paper Tape
Views: 1,756
Message 1 of 8

T440 won't power on with bottom case on

Here's a new one, I have an T440 that will not power on if the bottom case is on. Take it off and it powers on via AC or on battery but if the case is on, the only way it boots is if the internal and external batteries are disconnected and AC is connected. I have tried 2 motherboards and 2 internal batteries. It has the latest BIOS and Lenovo updates (as of May 18th, 2017). Any one out there encountered a similar scenerio?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,693
Message 2 of 8

Re: T440 won't power on with bottom case on

What does the BIOS say under security/internal device access/tamper detection.  Examine the inside of the bottom case, especially in the area of the tamper detection switch.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Highlighted
cilo59
Paper Tape
Views: 1,681
Message 3 of 8

Tamper detection is disabled and I tried a bottom case off of a functioning T440 but the issue still prevails.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,664
Message 4 of 8

If you tried 2 motherboards and 2 covers, the only other part involved is the little power button card.  I'm not sure how it would cause your symptoms, but they do fail.  I would try that.  You only need to remove 2 screws from a hinge and swing it out of the way.  Be sure to get the card back so it is flat.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,660
Message 5 of 8

Can you provoke the failure by just having the base cover assembly in place - or do you need to install the screws to make it fail?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

cilo59
Paper Tape
Views: 1,636
Message 6 of 8

Just having the bottom cover on without installing the screws is enough to make it fail.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,628
Message 7 of 8

I am guessing a short in one of the cables that comes through the hinges.  It is possible the cover slightly moves one of them.

Rich

cilo59
Paper Tape
Views: 1,617
Message 8 of 8

We have a winner!, swapped out the whole LCD assembly and the laptop powers on just fine. Now to tear into the assembly and find out which cable it is.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors