Did you mean: 
whydoesthisfail
Paper Tape
Views: 186
Message 1 of 3

T440S hangs all the time

My t440s will hang all the time, like this:

https://youtu.be/HROnaWhrRDg

The keyboard and mouse are unresponsive. If sound is enabled it makes this horrendous sound. There is no blue screen. It has to be power cycled. It happens every few weeks or so.

Has now done it in Windows 7,8 and 10. Have tried updating all the drivers, and it still happens. Have tried using and not using peripherals, and it still happens.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 172
Message 2 of 3

Re: T440S hangs all the time

Could be a bad hard drive or RAM (both of which can be tested using Lenovo Solution Center), but I would start by noting the time of the hang, and then rebooting and checking the Windows Application and System event logs upon restart to see if there are any errors reported that stand out.    

I once had an issue similar to what you are seeing, and the logs pointed to a hard drive controller error, which in the end was not the controller, but a bad/loose ribbon cable that seemed to act up when the system got hot.

Open Windows Event Viewer

• Start >> Run and type: eventvwr 
  • Press Enter

Good Luck, 

whydoesthisfail
Paper Tape
Views: 167
Message 3 of 3

Re: T440S hangs all the time

Thanks for this. Unfortunately, the system has passed all lenovo tests over the two years I have owned it, and I couldnt find any events preceding the crash.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors