cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lemming2060
Token Ring
Views: 916
Message 1 of 4

T440p: A digitaly signed driver is required (Samsung 850 EVO SSD)

Hello,

I have Windows 10 (64 bit) and all the latest Windows + Lenovo updates. The SSD's are Samsung 850 EVO (system) and Samsung 840 EVO (data).

Since a few weeks ago, I started seeing a pop-up message, whenever I boot the computer. It says that "A digitaly signed driver is required". Also, the Samsung Magician software reports, that AHCI Mode is deactivated and SATA Interface is N/A.

Does that mean that my system is not running on full performance? And is there are solution for these issues?

Thank you!

screenshot.1.jpgscreenshot.2.jpg

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 905
Message 2 of 4

Re: T440p: A digitaly signed driver is required (Samsung 850 EVO SSD)

That appears to be a problem with Samsung's Magician software not complying with Microsoft's Windows 10 driver signing requirements, which have been out for over a year.      

Last year, Microsoft announced that "beginning with the release of Windows 10, all new Windows 10 kernel mode drivers must be submitted to the Windows Hardware Developer Center Dashboard portal (Dev Portal) to be digitally signed by Microsoft.", and that starting with Windows build 1607, Windows will not load any new kernel mode drivers which were not properly digitally signed.  

Driver Signing changes in Windows 10, version 1607

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/windows_hardware_certification/2016/07/26/driver-signing-changes-in...  

Supposedly that would only affect fresh installs of build 1607 and not upgrades, but they might have recently tightened the reigns even more to prevent malicious drivers from installing, which is good for Windows 10 security, but bad for vendors like Samsung if they did not meet the new requirements.

You might check with Samsung Support to see if they have an updated version of their Magician software/drivers that has been digitally signed so you can get the full performance out of our Samsung drives.

Best of luck,

lemming2060
Token Ring
Views: 899
Message 3 of 4

Thank you for the explanation.

I have a fresh install, yes, so maybe that could be the cause.

I'll contact Samsung and see if they're preparing a fix anytime soon.

Thanks again.
lemming2060
Token Ring
Views: 810
Message 4 of 4

@JDGillis

As you have suggested, I checked with Samsung, if they have a soulution for the mentioned issues. I wasn't expecting much, because I thought that I have the latest Samsung Magician installed (version checking always said that I have the latest version, 4.9.7).

However, it turns out that 4.9.7 won't automatically update to version 5 - you need to install it manually. Thar's what I did, after Samsung told me so, and everything works fine now! Yeey!

Thanks again.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors