Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stillbluewaters
Token Ring
Views: 249
Message 1 of 10

T440p Keyboard Trackpad Stop Working After Spill

Ok, here's what happened. I spilled a small amount of water on the laptop keyboard area. I instantly snatched up the computer and flipped it over patting gently on the back to stop any water from getting into the electronics. It was just a small amount of liquid that spilled. I dried everything up good, then shook it around a couple times to make any water come out and dried some more. Then tried powering back up. The unit powers up fine and Windows starts. Only now the keyboard and trackpad are not working. I power off again and remove the keyboard which showed signs of moisture on its bottom and a little on the metal plate underneath. Dried everything good, tried again and still no keyboard or trackpad operation. I took the keyboard bezel off and dried everything inside where the spill occurred and showing any moisture. I let the computer sit in the sun all afternoon and in the house all night. Next morning I tried her again and still no keyboard/trackpad function. The lights are on to the mute and microphone buttons (F1 & F4), No keys work, typing or other functions, no trackpad at all. I believe I got all the moisture out of it. Will I need to replace the keyboard and trackpad or could something else be wrong. Odd to me that the f1 and f4 buttons are illuminated yet do nothing when pressed. Any help or info is appreciated. Thanks

stillbluewaters
Token Ring
Views: 246
Message 2 of 10

Re: T440p Keyboard Trackpad Stop Working After Spill

I opened Device Manager, uninstalled the keyboard, computer wants a restart so we go. After start, same problems. Checked DM again and keyboard was reinstalled now. Trackpad does not show in Device Manager now or before restart.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 243
Message 3 of 10

If you found signs of moisture or dried moisture under the keyboard, it is not clear what else was damaged.  Drying in the sun does nothing to solve the fact that when water dries (unless it was distilled water), there is a mineral residue left behind that can conduct electricity.  Shaking just moves any moisture around. increasing the areas that can be affected.  Mineral water or bottled water are worse.  Almost certainly, the keyboard and trackpad need to be replaced.  There is no way to know whether you did more serious damage.  If it were mine, I would replace the keyboard unit and hope for a good outcome.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Highlighted
JimBobMC
802.11n
Views: 242
Message 4 of 10

I personally don't "buy" the tip of using rice to dry out electronics, but you've not got much to loose.

If you know someone with a vacuum chamber having them pull a vacuum on the KB for a while would definetly clear any liquids.

but ... in  the end you may be a candidate for new KB .... on ebay thay are not that expensive  --  I think I paid $35 for the last one I bought for T440 (with backlight)

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an ”Accepted Solution“!
If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a Kudo
~~
Some years back I worked for IBM, currently I do not work for,
nor do I speak for Lenovo or IBM.
stillbluewaters
Token Ring
Views: 224
Message 5 of 10

Thanks for that info. So if I replace both will the trackpad then show up in Device Manager again automatically?

stillbluewaters
Token Ring
Views: 220
Message 6 of 10

Thank you for that suggestion. The drying in rice trick does indeed work, I've tried it and seen it done. Rice absorbs moisture. I hadn't thought of that, all I could try is the keyboard I guess. Thanks again Smiley Very Happy

JimBobMC
802.11n
Views: 211
Message 7 of 10

Rice is a cheap experiment.

I have only had to replace KB not trackpads, but would expect same result!

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an ”Accepted Solution“!
If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a Kudo
~~
Some years back I worked for IBM, currently I do not work for,
nor do I speak for Lenovo or IBM.
stillbluewaters
Token Ring
Views: 208
Message 8 of 10

Ok, thanks everybody. I'm going to get a new keyboard and if it works, I won't worry about the trackpad as I never could use one efficiently.

stillbluewaters
Token Ring
Views: 159
Message 9 of 10

My new keyboard is on the way. I'll let yall know how it comes out. You might want to know what to expect if you have an accident one day too. I acted fast buy still don't know if I saved the computer since it now won't start, only beeps the 1-3-3-1 when attempting power up. It did that to me once before just for unplugging the trackpad so I'm not sure those codes are reliable for what they're supposed to stand for.

stillbluewaters
Token Ring
Views: 134
Message 10 of 10

Happy Sunday! I've got good news. Smiley Happy

I put the new keyboard in and it didn't work; was still getting the 1-3-3-1 beep code on power up. So I took everything apart and cleaned the inside of the laptop, everything. I cleaned everything electronic real good with rubbing alcohol. Then reassembled with no keyboard or trackpad hooked up. Lo and behold she booted up. My laptop is saved! Hooked the keyboard and trackpad up and yes, I can type now Smiley Tongue Happy Days! I feel like singing. My summer video will get your feet tappin'.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1rsNEee46k  I feel good today Smiley Very Happy Been so down I needed something good to happen. Have wonder filled Sunday!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors