Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stillbluewaters
Token Ring
Views: 313
Message 1 of 15

T440p Wifi Card Wires

Hello, I tried finding an existing thread for this none address my issue. Here's the scoop:

I was doing an upgrade and when I removed the wifi card, the little wires came right off on their own with no effort on my part. It seems now that the wires will not connect back to the board. I can't even see how they would connect and stay on, looks like they've been just sitting there all this time but working. So question is, how do I get the little wires back onto the board? If something's broken, I'll need a card replacement but what about the wire ends? Will I have to replace the two wires also and I'm not sure where the wires go to the other end or if they can be replaced? Just how were the wires connected to the board before? Is there a preferable brand and model of card I should use? This one is H17087-001. I know I sound like an amateur because honestly I am and this is only second laptop upgrade. The first was an HP. Thanks for any info or suggestions.

'

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 289
Message 2 of 15

Re: T440p Wifi Card Wires

Whether your machine is an HP or a Dell or a Lenovo or anything else, the wireless connections and cards are the same.  I cannot see your machine so I cannot be sure, but you have 2 or 4 wires in your machine.  The black and gray wires go to the wireless card and you may have a red and a blue wire for a WWAN card that may or may not have or be connected.  There are connectors on the card that get attached to the antenna wires that run behind the LCD panel  It sounds like you moved the card around without disconnecting the wires and you may have broken the connectors off the card.  In that case the connectors from the card may still be stuck inside the wire ends.  These parts are small and fragile and you may need to get some help here.  Wireless cards are fairly cheap but the wires are difficult (time consuming) to replace and with a 5-year-old machine, you don't need to break too many things before it becomes cheaer to replace, rather than repair, so BE CAREFUL.

Here is the manual:

https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/t440p_hmm_en_sp40a25467_04.pdf?linkTrack...Smiley Tongue

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
stillbluewaters
Token Ring
Views: 282
Message 3 of 15

Thank you for that information. My card has 2 wires, black and one marked white so I know where they connect. The red and blue wires routed to the adjacent area are not connected to anything, never were. I looked at some new cards with a zoom and the connections look just like my card. If there are little tabs or something that insert they're likely broken off. I don't a screen upgrade before so disassembly of the display is not big deal for me but it looks like the wires go underneath meaning I'll have take the entire machine apart to get to the wires. The there is the question of how to they connect on the other end to what? As well as where on earth could I find those replacement wires? Is there any way to remove the broken tabs from the card if that's the case?

I did not do anything to cause it; a simple bump of the wires for removal would have caused it to happen by itself since that's all I did before removing the card.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 254
Message 4 of 15

The round connectors are soldered onto the card and cannot be replaced.  It is more likely that you broke the connectors  and are still attached to the wires.  In that case,, you could replace the card and reuse the wires.  The wires are attached to the back of the lid with an adhesive tape.  

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

stillbluewaters
Token Ring
Views: 226
Message 5 of 15

I'm confused. Do you mean that the wires are soldered on the display end or at the wifi card. I was told they just disconnect from the card. If something is broken off, I can't see it nor know how to reuse the wires if something is stuck in the connectors. I see a tiny metal "looks like a little cup" on the wire's end with a metal dot in the center. Maybe I can solder them back on. I don't know.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 224
Message 6 of 15

If you see the cup, nothing is broken off.  Those cups fit over little terminals at the end of the wireless card.  From your description, I thought you broke the terminals off of the card

Rich

stillbluewaters
Token Ring
Views: 215
Message 7 of 15

Well then maybe I'm alright then. I just can't get the wires to reconnect or stay on. Oh well, I'll scratch my head over it some more.

stillbluewaters
Token Ring
Views: 154
Message 8 of 15

I'm probly thinking wrong here but is it possible to swap the red and blue unused wires with the black and white wires to my wifi card? Or am I going to need to replace the antenna wires and the wifi card? Something wrong with one or the other cuz they won't hook back up? The red n blue wires are unused and have what looks like identical little connectors on them. I know some put an M.2 SSD on those but I don't need that. Can the extra slot be used for wifi card? I'm not made of money. Suggestions please?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 150
Message 9 of 15

You need to look at the ends of the wires and the card's connectors under magnification to see which side is damaged.  Both shold be round.  Maybe you bent one part or the other.

Rich

stillbluewaters
Token Ring
Views: 147
Message 10 of 15

Sorry but that  doesn't help a lot. Can the wires be sliced with new end connectors?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors