Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EEKJeep
Paper Tape
Views: 1,939
Message 1 of 14

T440p mouse erratic and closing programs

Hello, I need some help!

I just got a new T440p a couple months ago and I'm having trouble with the mouse.  The cursor will randomly jump to the top right corner of the screen and close programs.  It is a completely random problem; nothing ever seems to trigger it.  Yesterday I installed the newest Synaptics Pointing Device Driver and I still have the problem.  It even seemed to add a new problem where the cursor started flashing and the computer was beeping.  It wouldn't respond at all, even after me leaving it to sit and sort itself out and I eventually had to resort to shutting down with the power button and restarting.  That problem hasn't occured since, but the cursor jump to close programs continues to be a problem.

I'm running Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit.

Any suggestions??

m5522
What's DOS?
Views: 1,856
Message 2 of 14

Re: T440p mouse erratic and closing programs

Did you find a solution to this? I have the same issue and need a solution!

Are you also left-handed? I think it may be with the hand hitting the pad causing it to jump in the opposite corer. For right-handed people, this would be annoying but not cause as much havoc closing programs with no X in the top left corner.

Never have had the issue with a wireless mouse when my hand is nowhere near the pad.

EEKJeep
Paper Tape
Views: 1,851
Message 3 of 14

Nope, no solution.  A few days ago I talked to my brother-in-law, who is pretty familiar with Lenovo machines, and he believes it's a hardware problem, so I'm actually taking it over to a local service center today.  Luckily, it's still under warranty, so hopefully they'll be able to fix it.

m5522
What's DOS?
Views: 1,848
Message 4 of 14

If your laptop is new, it may be under warranty and repairable by Lenovo.

I'm trying this band aid solution: disabling the touchpad. I just use
trackpoint anyway, so I'm hoping disabling the touchpad negates the problem.

Are you left handed too?

EEKJeep
Paper Tape
Views: 1,845
Message 5 of 14

I have the touchpad disabled and it still does it.  No, not left handed.  I'm not even touching the keyboard at all sometimes when it does it.

Yes, like I said, it is still under warranty, so I'm taking it to the local service tech so they can look at it.

m5522
What's DOS?
Views: 1,843
Message 6 of 14

Please let me know what they say

Guru
Views: 1,839
Message 7 of 14

Do you happen to have a touchscreen?

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
EEKJeep
Paper Tape
Views: 1,825
Message 8 of 14

I just got my laptop back yesterday.  They replaced the keyboard and pointer and that seems to have solved the problem.

alexandra2015
What's DOS?
Views: 1,684
Message 9 of 14

I'm having this same problem.   I have recorded the cursor randomly hijacking my screen for over 5 minutes- selecting text, opening and closing files, moving files in to the trash.  I found an important student folder in the trash one day.   I've reviewed all the blogs since 2014, and this seems to be a chronic issue and no lennovo engineer has weighed in with any suggestions.  The only 'fix' that one person found was an ad-aware issue, but i and several others do not have ad-aware, so this is definitely not the issue.  This is not just an inconvenience, it's a hazard-- deleting files and shutting down programs while in mid-stream renders the computer comletely useless.  I will not have any warranty protection on this.  Lennovo please help.  I bought this computer because it was supposed to be reliable.

EEKJeep
Paper Tape
Views: 1,679
Message 10 of 14

Agreed.  This is a major problem.  My keyboard and mouse have been replaced TWICE and the problem keeps coming back.  It also seems to be linked to a wireless problem and that card has also been replaced twice with continued problems.  I have never had a problem with previous Lenovo/IBM Thinkpads, but this one is definitely a lemon.  I can tell as soon as my mouse starts getting screwy that the next thing that will happen will be getting dumped off-line and having to battle to reconnect.  Sometimes the mouse will even act up to the point that it just flies around the screen and starts creating a beeping sound like it's being clicked continuously and the computer can't keep up with it.  The local warranty sevice center has given up (and I don't blame them) and now I have to deal with Lenovo directly whenever I can be without my computer for 2 weeks...that's hardly convenient. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors