cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
pdc
Token Ring
Posts: 43
Registered: ‎06-05-2014
Location: CH
Views: 38,280
Message 1 of 10

T440s - Backlit Keyboard

Hello! Very upset. I followed rigorously the purchase order process and was never asked for backlit keyboard feature which looks now as an option (I had it on previous T430 and used a lot). In some of the documentation I received I even have indicated that the model I have *has* this feature. So what is going on? Nothing pointed me to this *option*! Any suggestion?

Thank you in advance for your reply!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Posts: 12,035
Registered: ‎06-06-2011
Location: RU
Views: 38,168
Message 2 of 10

Re: T440s - Backlit Keyboard

Hi,

has the spacebar key the small backlight label?



x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

pdc
Token Ring
Posts: 43
Registered: ‎06-05-2014
Location: CH
Views: 38,157
Message 3 of 10

Re: T440s - Backlit Keyboard

Thank you for your reply.

No, neither I recollect my previous T430 had it. I could activate the feature via CTRL and then SPACE.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Posts: 12,035
Registered: ‎06-06-2011
Location: RU
Views: 38,148
Message 4 of 10

Re: T440s - Backlit Keyboard

In order to activate backlight keyboard should have that capability. Compare these keyboards images (google), with and w/o b/l capability - 04X0101, 04Y0824. Both of them are for t440s, US layout, Chicony. Have a look at the spacebar key. It might serve as indicator.

You might ensure whether your laptop keyboard has backlight on the support site, by laptop serial number:
http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/ibasepartslookup

Keyboard with b/l feature has "B/L" symbols within its description.



x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

pdc
Token Ring
Posts: 43
Registered: ‎06-05-2014
Location: CH
Views: 38,139
Message 5 of 10

Re: T440s - Backlit Keyboard

Thank you.

No, no chance. I do not have that feature. Do you know if a retrofit is possible? Would that be worth effort and cost?

Highlighted
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Posts: 12,035
Registered: ‎06-06-2011
Location: RU
Views: 38,162
Message 6 of 10

Re: T440s - Backlit Keyboard

Just choose keyboard layout you need (have a look at the fru_bom list below), get appropriate keyboard  p/n (FRU) and google aftermarket (ebay, amazon, probably aliexpress - cheaper, or a lot of IBM/Lenovo parts supplyers - more expensive). Get it and replace yourself (have a look at the Hardware Maintenance Manual below).

Or purchase keyboard replacement at the Lenovo authorized service provider in your country, for your money, of course.

I hope you understand #2 will be more expensive.

http://download.lenovo.com/parts/ThinkPad/t440s_fru_list_20140217.pdf
http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/t440s_hmm_en_sp40a25360_01.pdf



x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

is1981
802.11n
Posts: 337
Registered: ‎03-29-2008
Location:  
Views: 38,120
Message 7 of 10

Re: T440s - Backlit Keyboard


@pdc wrote:

Thank you for your reply.

No, neither I recollect my previous T430 had it. I could activate the feature via CTRL and then SPACE.


No, it is not activated via Ctrl+Space, it is activated by pressing Fn+Space. Perhaps you had Ctrl and Fn keys swapped on the T430?

pdc
Token Ring
Posts: 43
Registered: ‎06-05-2014
Location: CH
Views: 38,103
Message 8 of 10

Re: T440s - Backlit Keyboard


@is1981 wrote:

@pdc wrote:

Thank you for your reply.

No, neither I recollect my previous T430 had it. I could activate the feature via CTRL and then SPACE.


No, it is not activated via Ctrl+Space, it is activated by pressing Fn+Space. Perhaps you had Ctrl and Fn keys swapped on the T430?


Sorry, my apologizes. Of course the right activation was Fn and then Space.

pdc
Token Ring
Posts: 43
Registered: ‎06-05-2014
Location: CH
Views: 38,101
Message 9 of 10

Re: T440s - Backlit Keyboard


@x220forme wrote:

Just choose keyboard layout you need (have a look at the fru_bom list below), get appropriate keyboard  p/n (FRU) and google aftermarket (ebay, amazon, probably aliexpress - cheaper, or a lot of IBM/Lenovo parts supplyers - more expensive). Get it and replace yourself (have a look at the Hardware Maintenance Manual below).

Or purchase keyboard replacement at the Lenovo authorized service provider in your country, for your money, of course.

I hope you understand #2 will be more expensive.

http://download.lenovo.com/parts/ThinkPad/t440s_fru_list_20140217.pdf
http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/t440s_hmm_en_sp40a25360_01.pdf


Thank you. I am afraid that is the only solution, a solution nevertheless :-) 

Greg_B
Paper Tape
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎02-23-2015
Location: USA
Views: 35,145
Message 10 of 10

Re: T440s - Backlit Keyboard

Sorry for the bump, but I recently ordered a T450, and made the same oversight as the OP during configuration.  And, yes, I was rather bummed.

 

A request -- Lenovo, could you change the configuration screen so that it shows "(non-backlit)" for keyboards without the backlight?  I saw that configuration option ("Keyboard - US English") and assumed it was only asking for the language for the keyboard, not whether it had a backlight or not, so I never expanded the option.  Once I realized my mistake, it was too late because the order had already been sent to manufacturing, as verified by an online chat with a rep. Smiley Sad

 

Question -- has anyone here ordered the 04X0101/ 04X0139 keyboards that are available on Amazon et al?  Are those the same quality (or, perhaps, the same thing) as the OE ones (Chicony / Liteon) from Lenovo?

Check out current deals!


Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors