Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wantathinkpad
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,416
Message 1 of 9

T440s Fan Error: Power on, Fan starts, then stops, then fan error

Hello all, I have a T440s out of warranty that has the fan error. I have had the error for the past two days  I used compressed air and that did not really work. In the past two day it has restarted, but now it won't start with the fan error. 

I press the power power button, the fan starts, the THinkpad logo comes up, the fan starts, then I get fan error.

Video here--> https://youtu.be/Piv5mAv-y1E

I understand the fan error occurs when there is a problem with a fan, or their is  a problem with on the motherboard. How does one tell the difference? I don't want to buy a fan and then realize is it the motherboard? What has the solution been. I have searched and their does not seem to be one for the T440s?

Also even more frustrating, right now I can't get the unscrew the screws holding down the fan. If I can't do that how can I even replace it. 

Anyone know the replacement fan part number and where to get one? Right now I am looking on Amazon.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,389
Message 2 of 9

Re: T440s Fan Error: Power on, Fan starts, then stops, then fan error

If the fan spins for half a second at power up, the problem is almost always the fan itself.  (spinning too slowly due to grease drying up or debris build-up).  I think 04x0444 and 04x1849 are fans for machines with nVIDIA graphics, and I think 04x0445 and 04x1850 are the fans for machines with integrated graphics.  

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
wantathinkpad
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,349
Message 3 of 9

Thanks. I have the integrated graphics version so I just ordered  a new fan off of Amazon.

However, I can't get the screws holding the old fan to budge. Don't know what I am doing around. Tried all 4 and none would budge.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,343
Message 4 of 9

I used to buy electronics screwdrivers and they never were satisfactory and never fit the heads well.  I got a cheap set from home depot and the largest philips bit fits the heads perfectly.  (Some tiny screws need a smaller bit, but normal screws like the fan screws are perfect.  It never wears out either.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-8-in-1-Precision-Slotted-and-Philips-Screwdriver-Set-71281H/2046643...

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
flguy
Paper Tape
Views: 534
Message 5 of 9

Hi - I am having a problem with the fan in my T440s as well and want to get a new one to replace the existing.  Can you suggest a legit place to purchase one?  I'm not sure if the ones I am finding on Amazon are legit, plus some are used and I dont want to buy a used one.

Thanks in advance!!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 529
Message 6 of 9

Encompass is the Lenovo-sanctioned parst vendor for the US.  I did a quick check on the part #s that richk posted - looks like they are available.

https://encompass.com/

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

flguy
Paper Tape
Views: 527
Message 7 of 9

Thanks for the link!  I believe they are out of the one I need, but I will continue to check for availability.  I am after '04X1850 or 04X0445'.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 519
Message 8 of 9

@flguy wrote:

Thanks for the link!  I believe they are out of the one I need, but I will continue to check for availability.  I am after '04X1850 or 04X0445'.

https://encompass.com/item/10654123/Lenovo/04X0445/Fan_Use_Part_04x1850

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

flguy
Paper Tape
Views: 507
Message 9 of 9

Top Kudoed Authors