cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
david4321
Fanfold Paper
Views: 15,908
Message 1 of 129

T440s: How to enable the Windows eDrive feature?

I would like to enable the eDrive feature on my T440s to encrypt my hard drive. How can I do this?

In order to do so,

• I enabled "OS optimized defaults" in the bios settings
  • Loaded them and saved them
  • Did a clean install of Windows 8.1 and removed all partitions during this process
  • Installed all Lenovo drivers
  • Installed all Windows updates
  • Tried to turn on bit locker

According to [1] "If everything is eDrive compliant you won’t be asked whether or you want to encrypt all or part of the drive". However, I am asked whether I want to encrypt all or part of the drive!!

So my questions is, what is wrong? How can I enable the eDrive feature?

[1] http://www.anandtech.com/show/6891/

david4321
Fanfold Paper
Views: 15,774
Message 2 of 129

Re: T440s: How to enable the Windows eDrive feature?

The problem seems to be the Intel Rapid Storage AHCI Driver. Without installing the driver offered on the Lenovo page (12.8.0.1016) and using the driver that came with Windows 8.1 (9.4.0.1023), it works.

Does anybody experience the same problem? Is there gonna be new driver that supports the eDrive feature?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 15,736
Message 3 of 129

We just recently became aware of this problem with the 12.8.0.1016 RST driver from Intel.  You are right - it is somehow blocking the hardware-encryption mode of BitLocker (eDrive).  Right now, I don't have any solution except to use the Windows 8.1 inbox driver like you said.  Sorry for this trouble.  When we get more info from Intel, I will share it here.

lax20531
SCSI Port
Views: 15,694
Message 4 of 129

Thank you david4321 for posting this question. I've spent hours trying to determine why the eDrive capability is not functional on my Samsung 256GB SSD. In my case it's a T440s Win 8 preload with the Win 8.1 upgrade on top.

I've tried everything I can think of, including setting passwords on all levels of UEFI, disabling 30-Day standby (I thought I had read something was incompatible with that and encrypted wake), and trying both legacy and TPM 2.0 without success.

I then saw your post and uninstalled the Windows Update that initially installed AHCI v 12.8.0.1016, taking Intel Rapid Storage back to version 6-something, then I installed version 9.4.0.1023. No success. I saw the same tips in the anandtech.com site you referenced as well.

It seems I must have violated some limitation or prerequisite of eDrive during my installation but I have no idea how to repair this without using the nuclear reimage option.
dmytty
Paper Tape
Views: 15,669
Message 5 of 129

This problem of no edrive enablement also occurs on the T440p and T540p with the Crucial M500 1 TB ssd.

I have used Drivermax (I have a Pro account) to download the aforementioned Intel driver (9.4.0.1023) but this did not help.

I believe Intel and Lenovo should make this a priority. 

dmytty
Paper Tape
Views: 15,667
Message 6 of 129

Did you do anything else other than install the 9.4.0.1023 driver? This is not working for me on the T440p and T540p as a solution.
lax20531
SCSI Port
Views: 15,635
Message 7 of 129

....and here I thought I was the only one experiencing this issue.    My T440s (model 20AQ004HUS) has the Samsung 256GB SSD and is marketed as an eDrive in the TABook.  I'm using the Lenovo preload and didn't change any partitions.  IIRC there is some conflict with encription and wake commands and this might seem to make 30-Day Standby and Intel SmartConnect iSCT incompatible.  On a sidenote, I just noticed that TVSU updated iSCT to version 4.2.40.2384; however, the program is now missing from Start so I have no idea how we're supposed to enable/disable the functionality.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 15,622
Message 8 of 129

As far as I know, there is no version of Intel Rapid Storage (RST) driver that works with eDrive.  The only way to make it work is to use the Win8/Win8.1 inbox driver "Standard SATA AHCI Controller".  We are currently asking Intel about why their RST driver is not compatible with eDrive, and when I have more info I will post about it here.

Now, about how to enable eDrive.  The Microsoft design is that eDrive only gets enabled when partitions are created on a blank drive.  Microsoft does not provide a way to enable eDrive later - I have no idea why.  Because the Lenovo preload ships with eDrive disabled (*), this means the only way to enable eDrive is to wipe your SSD and start over.

You can check whether eDrive is enabled or not by going into BIOS F1 Setup and looking in the Security -> Password menu.  If you see "Hard Disk1 Password" option at the bottom (below Power-On Password), it means eDrive is enabled.  If you don't, then you either don't have an eDrive, or else the eDrive is disabled.

(*) Lenovo screwed up and shipped some eDrives in the enabled state - but because the Intel RST driver is in the Lenovo preload, even with an enabled eDrive it is not possible to use BitLocker in Hardware mode.

You may have a question about why Lenovo ships eDrives in the disabled state.  And here are the reasons:

1. eDrive prevents you from using ATA Security (e.g. BIOS HDD password).  Some customers prefer to use HDD password security, rather than BitLocker.
  2. eDrive prevents you from using normal OPAL Security (e.g. Hardware encryption management software from third-parties)
  3. Most security-oriented customers do not want security-activation processes (e.g. enabling eDrive) to happen in the Lenovo factory.  They prefer security devices to ship inactivated, and then activate them themselves, later.

Let me know if you have other questions and I'll try to help as best I can. 

dmytty
Paper Tape
Views: 15,616
Message 9 of 129

We are currently asking Intel about why their RST driver is not compatible with eDrive, and when I have more info I will post about it here.

Lenovo might be 'asking' Intel but I am 'demanding' that Lenovo/Inel correct this situation. Also, why does Lenovo not make Edrive enablement a configuration option?
dmytty
Paper Tape
Views: 15,615
Message 10 of 129

.... The Microsoft design is that eDrive only gets enabled when partitions are created on a blank drive. Microsoft does not provide a way to enable eDrive later - I have no idea why.

Please clarify. Obviously partitions are created on a blank drive. Do you mean that Winodws must be installed to a blank partition to enable Edrive? Must Windows also be installed to a blank partition on a machine in which the BIOS has enabled Edrive?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors