Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JeffBinCO
Token Ring
Views: 5,504
Message 1 of 12

T440s Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 with wireless-N router

What is the highest speed possible when connecting the wireless-AC wifi card to a wireless-N router?

My wireless-N machines get 100Mbps speeds on my wireless-N router but the wireless-AC machine only gets 35Mbps.  I understood "AC" to be backwards compatible with "N".  Is does connect but the speed is much lower than the "N" equiped machines.

Do I actually need an "AC" router?

Software Engineer
ThinkPad T470s (20JT) | ThinkPad ThinkPad T450s | ThinkPad X250 (20BX)
speculatrix
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 5,447
Message 2 of 12

Re: T440s Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 with wireless-N router

there are lots of problems wih the Intel 7260 card, it's not just you, issues are slow speeds, disconnects, no data transferred at all.

ianw01
Token Ring
Views: 5,426
Message 3 of 12

I was advised to opt for Intel here, and was (separately) under the impression that most issues were resolved with updated drivers. I'm hoping driver updates are the answer for you!

JeffBinCO
Token Ring
Views: 5,420
Message 4 of 12

Driver updates have not solved the issue.

Software Engineer
Guru
Views: 5,408
Message 5 of 12

You should still get normal N speeds using an AC card.

Unofficially, the latest driver package is 17.13.11.5:
http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php/downloads/Drivers/Intel/Wlan/PROSet-Wireless-WiFi-Software/...

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
JeffBinCO
Token Ring
Views: 5,403
Message 6 of 12

I just received a replacement wireless-AC card from Lenovo and it performs exactly like the original one.  No faster than 30Mbps on the N router while two other machines with N cards get 100+Mbps.

The router manufacturer (TP-Link) suggested tweaking some settings on the router:  change mode to 11an mixed, channel width to 40MHz, channel to 149.  I tried those as well but still no improvement on the AC wifi card.

Given the extremely high performance of all other devices connecting through the router I am confident that the router is working properly.

This leads me to believe that either these Intel AC cards all defective or there is some inherent limitation in the AC <=> N compatibility.

Software Engineer
JeffBinCO
Token Ring
Views: 5,365
Message 7 of 12

Resolved:  Intel Wireless-AC 7260 + ASUS Wireless-AC1900 router = FAST

Using an "AC" router I am finally able to get expected 100+Mbps speed from the Intel Wireless-AC 7260 wifi card.  T-mobile provided me with a fantastic free ASUS (RT-AC68U) Wireless-AC1900 router through their "Cellspot" program.

Lenovo tech support did a remote session into my machine and updated all the network drivers and power managements settings (again) but was unable to fix the issue.  The hardware support desk (great people) then referred me to the software support desk who tried to convince me that the T440s was completely incompatible with any 5Ghz network.  Obviously, that is not true.

I still do not know where the limitation lies.  Either the Intel AC 7260 is a defective design and is not fully backwards compatible with wireless-N.  Or perhaps the Lenovo drivers are bad?  Or perhaps it is a Windows bug?  At this point I can only tell you all that for me the AC router solved the problem.

Software Engineer
speculatrix
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 5,340
Message 8 of 12

the issue of the AC-7260 card being useless on non-AC wireless networks was extensively discussed on the Intel community forum at https://communities.intel.com/thread/47983 and I was very active on that discussion until I gave up, ripped out my 7260* and replaced it with an older slower but reliable card.

Despite many many people complaining about performance, Intel never admitted to their being a problem. I challenged them to say definitively that it was or wasn't a fatal hardware design flaw, but they never answered.

I's a very long discussion but essentially Intel would occasionally ask people to provide the make and model of their computer, the year it was built, what OS and driver version they were using, and then nothing would happen other than to recommend updating drivers and turning off power saving, which most didn't help anyone.

My personal* laptop at home is  Dell, who don't whitelist wifi cards, so it was easy. At work I have a Lenovo, and so I can't do that, and just have to accept that my wifi is very unreliable.

Skoop
Bit Torrent
Views: 5,339
Message 9 of 12

<<I still do not know where the limitation lies.  Either the Intel AC 7260 is a defective design and is not fully backwards compatible with wireless-N.  Or perhaps the Lenovo drivers are bad?  Or perhaps it is a Windows bug?  At this point I can only tell you all that for me the AC router solved the problem.>>

I think that you're looking at it from the wrong angle.  The adapter works great with hardware that can handle it.  --As you now see.   At this point in the life cycle of the part and the aging population of b/g/n routers, it's more a matter of the latter not being fully forward compatible. 

The card has design capabilities and usage cases that distinguish it from other consumer grade parts. A lot of the hate directed at Intel over there is from peeps who simply don't know what they got into with the card when they got it.  Some of them have discovered the meaning of the BIOS whitelist too late.  Some of them have routers/modems that are poorly compatible.  Some of them don't know how to configure the driver settings.  Some of them don't know squat about wireless networking.  Some of them don't know how or where to get a working driver. 

But the global claim that the AC7260 is a defective part and simply won't work is just not true.  That's why I quit posting over there.  The mods are hopeless and the vitriol is over the top. 

It's an OEM part generally, anyway.  That's why you see the Intel guys over there telling people to check with their OEMs for solutions, first.  Also, because Intel provides the latest drivers and fixes to the OEMs before they put them up on their own site.  They aren't Lenovo drivers per se.  If you unpack the driver installer file that you can download here, but don't install it, you can see the same folders of drivers for Windows versions that you'll eventually find in the Admin Sets at Intel. 

Also, it took Intel a while to get a well-rounded driver to handle the usage cases that they didn't know they'd have to when they released the card.  But that happened at about version 16.6, about a year and half ago.  In addition, I think they stumbled with Windows 8.1 pretty badly at first.  The 17.13 driver now, though, seems pretty mature. 

Anyway, glad you're finally seeing what it can do.  I'm not an Intel apologist, but I am a believer in informed discussion and edification.  Enjoy your 866.

speculatrix
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 5,337
Message 10 of 12

I don't have AC wifi at home, I have an expensive simultaneous dual-band AP which runs multiple ESSIDs, vlans and all sorts, and has excellent performance.  The only device I have which supports 11ac is my work laptop (my home laptop being downgraded to an Intel 6235 which works perfectly). I have no intention to upgrade my home wifi, given my internet connection is only 36Mb/s download, 6Mb/s up.

My employer has a wifi mesh with dual band wifi, 802.11an/a/n/g/b. They are not going to upgrade everything for the few of us with problematic wifi cards.

Intel have washed their hands of the problem, pretending it doesn't exist. See my previous post. They deserve the full opprobrium of all those afflicted by this fatally flawed unit.

Top Kudoed Authors