Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheOne320
Paper Tape
Views: 208
Message 1 of 9

T440s RAM Module suddenly not recognised

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T440s University 20ARS0BH00 with 4GB Ram soldered in and an extra 8 GB as a SO-DIMM in a slot. About a week ago my system was feeling very sluggish and I went and checked Taskmanager and noticed that my ram was full while just browsing. I fired up cpuz and weirdly only 4GB Memory was displayed. Then I went to BIOS and even there only 4GB was recognized. I did not drop my laptop so a loose RAM module was unlikely, but I opened the case anyway (with antistatic wrist strap attached), carefully removed the DIMM, cleaned everything with pressurized air and put the Ram back in. After booting back into BIOS, still only 4GB is displayed.

Does someone know what the problem could be?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 168
Message 2 of 9

Re: T440s RAM Module suddenly not recognised

It could be that the DIMM has failed and it could be that the motherboard (slot or memory controller) has failed.  The only way to know which is to swap in a known-good DIMM.    The DIMM is most likely the cause of the problem.  They do occasionally fail.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Highlighted
TheOne320
Paper Tape
Views: 160
Message 3 of 9

I am getting a replacement DIMM in two days (exact same DIMM as the original). I really hope it is the DIMM. Can anything be done if it is the slot or would I need to replace the mainboard?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 148
Message 4 of 9

I have a rework station so I tend to look for burned capacitors or cracks,  In most cases I waste some time and don't fix anything.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
TheOne320
Paper Tape
Views: 132
Message 5 of 9

I received the new RAM today and swapped it out. The BIOS still only sees 4GB. Where would I look for "burned capacitors or cracks"?
TheOne320
Paper Tape
Views: 124
Message 6 of 9

Update: After resetting the BIOS, taking everything apart, cleaning everything, applying new thermal paste and putting it back together it is suddenly recognized the old ram module again. Now I have no idea what the problem was. Better send the new RAM back now. Sometimes computers confuse me.
TheOne320
Paper Tape
Views: 77
Message 7 of 9

Now it restarted and hat 4Gb again. It is not the Ram Module, I tested a new one. Sounds like a loose contact, but I checked the seating of the module in the slot. Anyone seen something similar?
JoaoIldefonso
Paper Tape
Views: 62
Message 8 of 9

Same here

Did you resolved the issue?

Thanks

TheOne320
Paper Tape
Views: 34
Message 9 of 9

No I did not. It now randomly has 4GB or 12GB each boot. I have run Memtest86 and the Lenovo Diagnostics and both did not report any error, while 12GB were detected. I have not yet managed to run Memtest86 or Diagnostics while 4GB are recognized.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors