Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PatriN
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,666
Message 21 of 34

Re: T440s WWAN no longer working on Windows 10 Pro

Hi x220forme, thanks for replying. I downloaded g7wt12ww.exe and tried several times but i get the message "This device cannot start (code 10)."

P.S. The card was using Microsoft's drivers by default.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,649
Message 22 of 34

Thanks for clarification.

It seems wwan card is in the "airplain mode" presently. So, make a sure at least Lenovo Power Management Driver and Hotkey Features Integration Ppackage are installed.

Then, do you see the wwan item in the wireless devices control window (press Fn+F5 for that)? I hope hardware wireless devices switch is turned on.

Again, do not install drivers from package you've downloaded. Firstly, unpack that one and then perform manual installation via upgrade button.

Please, clarify, what's the real name of wwan device within Device Manager? Is it a single wwan device? Are there another unknown devices in the DM?

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

PatriN
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,640
Message 23 of 34

Lenovo's PM and Hotkey Feutures are installed already. I press Fn +F5 but i don't see a WWAN icon, I am currently connected to a WiFi though. I tried to manually install the drivers again, but no luck (DM --> Update Driver Software --> Browse my computer... --> Let me pick... --> Have Disk... --> c:\drivers\win\wwansr\uncompessed_drivers\drivers)

Under Network adapters, when using this driver the name is Generic Mobile Broadband Adapter. When I use Microsoft's driver the name is Sierra Wireless MC8355 - Gobi 3000(TM) Module. 

There are more devices related to Sierra Wireless MC8355 under Modems (Sierra Wireless MC8355 - Gobi(TM) 3000 HS-USB Modem 9013 #2) and Ports (COM & LPT) (Sierra Wireless MC8355 - Gobi(TM) 3000 HS-USB Diagnostics 9013 (COM8), Sierra Wireless MC8355 - Gobi(TM) 3000 HS-USB NMEA 9013 (COM6). 

All devices are fuctioning properly according to the view from DM...

Highlighted
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,621
Message 24 of 34

The series of em8355 device items look properly, except of the primary adapter, Generic Mobile Broadband Adapter. Windows 7/8/10, by default, establish wireless broadband connection using its mobile broadband service, via this adapter, not the modem device. The name "Generic..." means proper Sierra driver hasn't been installed or replaced by the MS's one. Please, clarify its USB Hardware IDs:
- double click
- Details tab
- Property list
- Hardware ID item
Have a look at the field below. What are their?

So, try to perform the following actions:
1. use "dialup" connection via modem device, if win10 supports that (I can't clarify but heard - no).
Open control panel applet (win+R, inetcpl.cpl), Connections tab, Add button.
If win10 supports dialing service for the internet access you should see mc8355 modem as an available device. Contact your broadband carrier (or ask a Google) to specify dialing number for its broadband connection (it should be like *99# or *99***1# or similar), fill out the form and make dialing profile. Then try to establish "dialup" connection. Note, dialing method doesn't mean access via slow GSM network and a high price for the Internet access. It just means Windows will not use Mobile Broadband service via broadband network adapter and use virtual modem port for that. Results (the spead, access tarification, available services etc.) will be the same.

2. Did you try to upgrade Generic device diver in the manual mode? If no, perform that to replace Windows default driver for the Sierra one. What do you see as result?

3. Remove all mc8355 device items and their drivers from the system (within Device Manager). Do you see any unknown or mc8355 device item with new ID 9012 (instead of 9013) and QDLoader in the title? If no, rescan hardware configuration. I'm afrade Generic device with ms drivers will appear again but hope w/o the rest items. Anyway, install Sierra drivers via upgrade.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

PatriN
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,611
Message 25 of 34

Thank you for the effort and time. Smiley Happy

the id's are the following:

USB\VID_1199&PID_9013&REV_0002&MI_05
USB\VID_1199&PID_9013&MI_05

1. I don't know how to setup this thing, i will need much time to find the credentials.

2. Whenever i try to update this adapter with the Sierra driver, the device doesn't start and it appears as Generic Mobile Broadband Adapter. When it's updated with Microsoft's driver, it displays correctly. You mentioned something about manual mode, is there another way besides the one i described in a previous reply..? (DM --> Update Driver Software --> Browse my computer... --> Let me pick... --> Have Disk... --> c:\drivers\win\wwansr\uncompessed_drivers\drivers).

3. I removed all of them, but for the Network adapter i have no option to remove the driver's software.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,599
Message 26 of 34

1. I described almost everything in my post how to prepare dialing connection type

2. please, cpecify again:
- the name (or behaviuor) of the mc8355 network adapter with the Sierra drivers
- the name with ms drivers

Yes, I mean the method you've described

3. is the remove button absent at all?

PatriN
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,574
Message 27 of 34

Sorry for replying after so many hours. I was testing my T430 with Windws 7 also. One thing I noticed was that that the default firmware which is installed is for CDMA use. So I changed the configuration file as the following document suggests and I managed to use my WWAN to connect.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht050584

Next, I did a clean install of Windows 10 and succesufily managed to install the Sierra driver, version 12.4.1011.27 which is for Windws 7. Now everything is in place, the icons are also displayed (Fn + F5). I managed to enter my card PIN in order to connect, but now I am stuck there. When I hit connect,  it takes me to Cellular Settings (Network & Internet) and there is a message "Get the recommended app". When i click on it, it does nothing.

Then I manually installed Sierra driver, version 13.7.1050.46 which is for Windows 8.1, but i still get the same message ("Get the recommended app").

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,563
Message 28 of 34

OK, a good find of a known feature.

So, decide what OS version will you continue to work on since the troubles, their sources differ and workarounds, solutions differ too.

PatriN
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,560
Message 29 of 34

I am planning to keep Windows 10 on my T430. If there is a way to bypass/solve this error while connecting, I will be a happy man. 

Thank you for your help x220forme..!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,553
Message 30 of 34

You'll be, I hope.

For the win10 return to the post above, #26. Or we can continue with your current OS.

Also, since your laptop and wwan card differ as the OP has, let me to split this thread into the different ones, with your posts as a separate thread?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors