Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bonesbrigader
Paper Tape
Views: 3,720
Message 1 of 16

T440s dead again after 3 system board replacements

And now, according to the support rep, I have to mail it in, and be without it for another 2 weeks??

I got my T440s in November, used it every day for work and loved it, until about a month ago when it simply didn't turn on, and then the nightmare begins:

1. I took it to a Lenovo certified warranty shop, who replaced the system board, but still couldn't get it to power on.  He noticed I had on-site warranty, so suggested I use that.

2. A certified repairman came to my workplace, replaced the system board, and was able to make it turn on.  It worked for about a week, until one morning it no longer turned on.

3. Yet another certified repairman came to my workplace several days after that, replaced the system board, got it working again.  Less than 24 hours later, it no longer turned on.

At this point, most companies I'm used to dealing with would send me a brand new product, with instructions for me to send in my broken laptop (which is clearly a lemon).  Yet instead I'm told I have to send in my laptop, and be without a computer for TWO weeks, and then they MIGHT send me a new one if they can't fix it.

I'm generally a very patient person, sometimes to a fault, but this is unacceptable to me!  I paid a good amount of $ for this laptop, including extended warranty, because it's my work computer and I didn't want to risk being without it.  

Does anyone have a suggestion for getting a better resolution of this issue?

dizzbuster
Punch Card
Views: 3,680
Message 2 of 16

Re: T440s dead again after 3 system board replacements

As much as I hate to say it. Escalate, Escalate, Escalate. Get ticket numbers and be a pitbull. I don't know if that will work but that is what I would do. Frankly, I am awaiting my delivery of a customized T440s, 3/24 is the delivery date, and I am getting nervous about quality and support. Like everyone else, we all paid good money for a premium laptop and the quality and support is dubious at best. IMHO. I am an avid Thinkpad user and have used many during my career. They used to be quite solid and trouble free. I am starting to wonder.

It may have been better to have gone to BestBuy. At least there would be the option to walk in and tell them "I want a new one!"

Guru
Views: 3,653
Message 3 of 16

I assume you tried the static discharge trick?

Unplug the AC
Unplug the battery (really annoying now because you have to open it up to remove both batteries)
Tap the power button 10 times
Tap and hold the power button for 10 seconds
Reattach the AC
Try to boot

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
Guru
Views: 3,640
Message 4 of 16

You'll have to send it to the depot. After a certain amount of on-site repairs (2-3 in my experience) that fail to resolve the problem, the machine always goes to the depot.

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
bonesbrigader
Paper Tape
Views: 3,640
Message 5 of 16

@ColonelONeill wrote:
I assume you tried the static discharge trick?

Unplug the AC
Unplug the battery (really annoying now because you have to open it up to remove both batteries)
Tap the power button 10 times
Tap and hold the power button for 10 seconds
Reattach the AC
Try to boot

Yep, tried that before even getting it repaired the first time, and each time the person on the phone has made me try it. No go.

Thanks though

bonesbrigader
Paper Tape
Views: 3,637
Message 6 of 16

@ajkula66 wrote:

You'll have to send it to the depot. After a certain amount of on-site repairs (2-3 in my experience) that fail to resolve the problem, the machine always goes to the depot.

Good luck.

Thank you for the info.  In your experience how long does this typically take?  Also, if/when they do replace it, do I have any shot at making a slight configuration change (different WiFi card, same price though)?

Guru
Views: 3,624
Message 7 of 16

@bonesbrigader wrote:

@ajkula66 wrote:

Good luck.

Thank you for the info.  In your experience how long does this typically take?  Also, if/when they do replace it, do I have any shot at making a slight configuration change (different WiFi card, same price though)?

There's no "one size fits all" answer here.

The last time I had a ThinkPad replaced under warranty I got an entirely different machine, but that was with a system that was out of production.

My best guess is that you'd receive the exact same machine if your were to be replaced, but I don't work for Lenovo so I can't really tell you what the procedures are.

If the lemon in question were mine, I'd prepare for at least two weeks to a month of living without it.

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
bonesbrigader
Paper Tape
Views: 3,581
Message 8 of 16

Thanks again ajkula66 for the info.

Friday morning I got this escalated, and was told I'd get a call back from a manager in "24-48 hours".  No call after 48 hours, and I can't say I'm surprised, so I called them back.

Apparently Corporate will call me back "24-72 hours" after they receive the escalation request.  I was told that even though the request was made Friday at 9am, it was probably actually given to the superior later in the day, and that Corporate probably wouldn't have it until Monday.  That's when the 24-72 hour window starts.  So I should expect to wait until Thursday at the latest.  So much for "24-48 hours"!  This is to hear a decision about my "case".  My case? The laptop is defective!  Three unsuccessful repairs!  What "case" could they possibly have to make a decision about?

I am shocked at how bad this whole experience has been.  I just want a working replacement of my 4 month old Thinkpad that I paid over $2K for.  As much as I prefer a Thinkpad over a Macbook Pro, Apple would have replaced a lemon like this same day!  How can I possibly recommend Lenovo to anyone else after going through this?  

bonesbrigader
Paper Tape
Views: 3,515
Message 9 of 16

Gave them a call each of the last 2 days.  Each day, I was told a superior with the ability to handle the replacement would call me back later in the day to discuss my "case".  No call back either day from said superior.  

Just about one week since I got this thing escalated.  Combined # of days laptop has been broken: approaching 1 month.

I honestly hope none of you have to go through a situation like this... and mine is an open/shut case, I can't imagine what a murkier case would be like!

rugrat
SCSI Port
Views: 3,500
Message 10 of 16

Bones:

I was just about to extend the warranty on my Thinkpad. Now I'm not so sure. I'm shocked that an onsite NBD warranty has so little value.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors