Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
treecko
Paper Tape
Views: 78,273
Message 1 of 84

T440s doesn't wake up from sleep

I got a new T440s about 2 weeks ago and sometimes it doesn't wake up after it goes into sleep mode. It gets stuck on a black screen and the mouse cursor is visible, but moving the mouse or pressing keys on the keyboard fails to wake it up. When this happens, I have to restart the computer by holding down the power button for 10 seconds. I am running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit and hybrid sleep is off. I'm just really confused because sometimes it wakes up perfectly and sometimes it doesn't. Thanks!

cpush
Punch Card
Views: 78,125
Message 2 of 84

Re: T440s doesn't wake up from sleep

hi treeck - are you using an external display through the mini display port?

I have this issue as well on my T440p.

Even wtih max power performance power settings and hybernate disabled, almost every time the displays turn off, they do not turn back on.. it's almost as if the system still goes into hibernate anyway, and it does not wake up.

When I hit a key or move the mouse it seems like it tries to turn on, and the backlight (only) on my laptop comes on (black screen) with my external monitor staying completely off. 

the system does not respond, and I have to do a hard power down, then back on to get the system back.

I've about had it with this. I've tried all the latest drivers, switching USB ports, nothing has worked.

Interested to hear about your details.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 78,484
Message 3 of 84

If your system has fingerprint, this may be the cause:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=SF13-D0217

cpush
Punch Card
Views: 78,106
Message 4 of 84

Thanks for the reply, but I've already tried that. I've even tried upgrading the driver from the manufacturer.

Further, I've tried disabling it device manager - none of which have worked.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 78,086
Message 5 of 84

treecko
Paper Tape
Views: 78,077
Message 6 of 84

Thank you someotherguy, upgrading the fingerprint manager seemed to work for me. cpush, I hope you will find a solution to this problem soon. 

MT2014
What's DOS?
Views: 78,054
Message 7 of 84

I just purchased T440p on 9/1/14 and had to send it to Lenovo service centre by the 14/1/14 as it would randomly go to sleep despite BIOS and systems update.  Initially force shut down, unplugging and removing battery seemed to help for the first few days but eventually nothing seemed to work.  Powering on would see the microsoft logo for window 7 for a while before the whole screen goes blank.  So far I have yet to hear from the service centre which has relocated.  Phone calls are also not helpful as no one seems to know where the thinkpad is.

cpush
Punch Card
Views: 78,047
Message 8 of 84

Re: T440[p] doesn't wake up from sleep

Hi someotherguy, firstly thanks for your replies!

I'll try to document my issue a bit better.

My setup:

Thinkpad T440p

CPU: i7-4700MQ

OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64 (Upgraded via STORE from Windows 8)

Display: FHD WWAN

Graphics: Intel HD4600 / GeForce GT 730M

Memory: 16 GB GSkill 1.35v

HDD: Samsung 840 Evo SSD (250 GB)

Power: 135W AC Adapter

Wireless: 7260AC w/ Bluetooth 4.0

External display: LG 23EA63V-P (LG 23 Inch IPS Panel @ 1920x1080) 

Connection: MiniDisplay Port to DVI Adapter with Dual link DVI-D Cable

Power settings: Max Performance / Always On

Sleep: Never

Turn off Displays: YES (this is the issue!)

I have disabled hibernate

I have disabled fast boot

I have installed all latest Windows updates and Lenovo drivers.

Nothing to call out in device manager

The issue:

Since adding the external display, both displays intermittently (90%) fail to wake from DISPLAY ONLY sleep. The system does (*knock on wood*) wake from manual setting of Sleep. However, when the displays turn off after the allocated time, it seems like my system is in tandem assuming some sort of sleep state. It does not look like only the displays are sleeping.

Once the monitors turn off, moving the mouse or hitting the keyboard will initiate some system feedback (backlight only on laptop lights up with blank screen, fans spin up) but the external monitor does not power back on, and the keyboard lock keys do not respond. The only way to get my system back is to hard reset.

Now I have read several users having similar issues. Many users have solved this in different ways (from display to usb to power to memory), and it's very hard to identify the culprit in my situation.

Other issues (possibly related)

-Sometimes system turns off by itself (rarely occurs)

-Sometimes after desktop is idle for 1 minute, system Logs Off (and in turn displays turn off)

What I've tried that has NOT worked (aside from latest drivers)

-Disabling Hibernate

-Removing all USB devices 

-Disabling Wireless adapters

-Disabling Bluetooth

-Uninstalling Bluetooth (yes I've updated to latest drivers)

-Disabling Fingerprint Reader (yes I've tried the latest drivers)

-Updating to latest BIOS (although I updated last night and I think it was to 2.18 that was just released?)

-Installing Intel HD Drivers versions: 3345/3355/3379 

-Installing latest Nvidia Optimus drivers

What I've tried that SEEMS TO SOLVE IT (at least temporarily) 

-Switching Single Link DVI Cable -> Dual Link solved it temporarily, but the issue came back.

-Uninstalling Intel HD4600 Drivers (using an old 3316; but this causes high CPU usage and System interrupts)

-Disabling CPU management in Power settings in the BIOS (this to me is not a solution)

-Switching to MiniDisplay Port to HDMI adapter & HDMI Cable; this was my biggest victory last night - I was able to get the displays back 100% of the time (3 tests)

-Switching BACK to my DVI adapter and cable - this has me puzzled. I would rather use DVI, so ruled out using HDMI as a solution. Once I changed the cables, I was able to resume the system again (in my few tries). We'll see how long this lasts..

So I'm still not sure what the issue is. Things I would try, but only if necessary..

-Shorter Dual Link DVI Cable

-Different MiniDisplay to DVI adapter

-Reset PC and OS (factory settings AND fresh install)

-Windows 8 Pro (do not upgrade to 8.1)

-Different Memory 

After checking the Event Log, I've had Critical Events (system powered down unexpectly) each time I've had to hard reset. I try to see if any Event occured just prior. I've noticed several Warnings for the following, but have found no pattern tied to the crash

-igfx.dll has stop responding / has recovered

-issue with Finger print reader (I need to reference Event Log for details)

-issue with Bluetooth (I need to reference Event Log for details, but I believe this was when I had it disabled in the Device Manager and it was looking for the driver)

Sometimes there is no event just prior to the crash at all, which leads me to believe these are just OTHER issues I need to deal with.

Any other experiences/thoughts/advice would be most appreciated! I have been so incredibly frustrated recently, coming back from another room finding my displays off and having to hard reset. Sure there are workarounds, but I am in seach of a solution. 

And this is only ONE of the issues I've had with this device.

DJ_IT_Pro
What's DOS?
Views: 78,012
Message 9 of 84

I have had the same/similar problem on a T440p Win 7 Pro machine.  Chat support changed power settings to disable CPU deep sleep.  Did not resolve continued problems.  I disabled CPU Poser Management in BIOS, which seemed to help for one day.  But soon as I turned machine over to end user, problems related to sleep and startup occurred.

Basically, when waking from sleep and after Windows logo appears, screen goes blank (normal) but hangs, hangs, hangs.  The only way to get any response is to forcibly power off (hold power button for 6 secs or more; just briefly pressing it puts it in sleep mode again according to my power settings).  Repeat same steps but this time having to tell system to boot normally, results in same hang.  3rd or 4th time through system might get to login screen.

Sometimes, after login screen system will hang just before loading desktop (background is the configured desktop background) but icons never appear, and mouse/keyboard/FN key combinations are not responsive.  Again must power down forcibily.  After 2 or 3 repititions of this nonsense, the maching might be functional.

Support was worse than unhelpful.  Support was insulting in that no matter how many times I repeated what had occurred and what I had done, they still went through their checklist.  So not only did they not have an answer they made me repeat a half dozen times what I knew did not work.  I asked for a supervisor and a week later I am still waiting for a return call.

If Lenovo is serious about being a first consideration for corporate purchases, then they would take a lesson from Dell and provide fast, responsive, and priority support.  The Home Office mandated this machine, but I would NEVER EVER recommend it to a client.   I know I am not alone in this regard.

DJ_IT_Pro
What's DOS?
Views: 78,011
Message 10 of 84

It is sad that we have to write a treatise on why a computer won't wake from sleep.  This is basic laptop functionality that appears to be broken on the new generation of Lenovo Think Pads.  Some one at Lenovo (This Director of Marketing or other high paid Executive) should be making heads roll for putting out a product that is just flat out broken.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors