Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Martytoof
Blue Screen Again
Views: 49,709
Message 1 of 62

T440s, major WiFi and Bluetooth instability

Hello,

I've owned my T440s for a few weeks now and it's a great laptop in all respects but one: My WiFi stability is horrendous.

I've done a clean install of Windows 8.1 and downloaded all the appropriate drivers from the Lenovo website.

The symptoms are as follows:

- I will connect to a WiFi access point and begin to work.

- At some point during the day the WiFi card will simply just stop sending and receiving traffic. I can open a cmd window and ping my default gateway and all packets are dropped. 

- While this is happening Windows still shows my WiFi link as CONNECTED. 

- Putting the laptop into airplane mode and turning it off again seems to fix the issue.

- This happens with a NUMBER of wifi access points, so I'm fairly certain it is not the infrastructure

My old gateway laptop which this T440s replaced has never had a single issue connecting to, or remaining connected to any of these wifi networks. 

I've tried a number of things:

- Installing drivers from Lenovo's website (currently up to date as of 12/12/2013)

- Installing drivers directly from Intel's website

- Letting Windows manage my WiFi

- Letting Intel ProSet utility manage my WiFi

- Disabling the ability for the system to put the WiFi device to sleep to conserve energy.

I'm getting rather frustrated and some searching reveals a handful of people who have the same problem, but not enough that it is some kind of inherent fault in the card. 

It's getting to the point where I'm seriously considering buying another M.2 WiFi card to replace what is in there now just because I can't be at a Client's site and have to refresh my WiFi every few hours while I'm doing critical work. 

I mentioned bluetooth in the subject because I'm having the same trouble with Bluetooth. I will get random disconnects to my Bluetooth mouse. Putting the laptop into airplane mode and then off again will fix the issue, but it usually disconnects shortly thereafter again.

I believe my card is the Intel 7260-ac with on-board bluetooth. any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!

sjahanmi
Token Ring
Views: 49,628
Message 2 of 62

Re: T440s, major WiFi and Bluetooth instability

Try disabling the Bluetooth in Device Manager and also in the Bios (optional) and restart and see if that solves the problem.
Martytoof
Blue Screen Again
Views: 49,624
Message 3 of 62

I'll give this a try, thanks. Hopefully this isn't the best option, though, as I love using my bluetooth mouse Smiley Very Happy

tekko
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 49,588
Message 4 of 62

Same here.

ThinkPad Laser Bluetooth mouse disconnects periodically.

Lenovo, please help us with this issue.

I don't want to disable bluetooth.

Martytoof
Blue Screen Again
Views: 49,575
Message 5 of 62

Well, unfortunately I disabled bluetooth both in BIOS and device manager and my WiFi still cut out on me this morning. Down to either a problem with the card itself or the drivers being flake with Win8.1. I don't really want to downgrade to Win7 if I don't have to so I'm hoping Lenovo addresses this issue. 

tekko
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 49,519
Message 6 of 62

I solved the ThinkPad Laser Mouse disconnection problems! In device manager, I unchecked Allow device to go to sleep on the Bluetooth card and since then the mouse didn't disconnected and it's 4 days already. One issue solved, BTW I'm not having WiFi disconnect problems from that moment either, but from what I heard this is a problem in the Intel 802.11ac card new funcionality for power saving, and some (most) routers don't implement it or implement it wrong. So I decided I'll buy an 801.11ac router - ASUS RT-AC68U or ASUS RT-AC66U or TP-LINK AC1750. But I heard that better go with asus routers than tp-link. Good luck with your problem.

widerporst
Punch Card
Views: 49,453
Message 7 of 62

I'm also having major problems with WiFi disconnects. Today, I had four "disconnects" in about three hours. I'm experiencing this problem with two different routers (some Buffalo device running OpenWRT and an AVM FritzBox), so I'd prefer having a firmware or driver fix rather than buying a new router.

Has anyone found a solution other than using a new router?

cbautis2
Bit Torrent
Views: 49,424
Message 8 of 62

One solution is to install Windows 7 since Intel has more stable drivers for that OS than both 8 and 8.1

On my Y470, I have the Intel 7260N (not AC) using 16.1.5.2 drivers. I'm always connected to the 2.4 GHz band (4 year old draft-n single band router). The only tweaks I did is to turn off power saving features and enable WMM in advanced settings. No disconnects ever, but once per 2 - 3 weeks I get speed drops to 11 Mbps (5 GHz band completely disappears when this happens too) and the only fix for that is disable/enable the adapter. Also, I get occassional ping spikes up to 500 ms to the router (maybe interference @ 2.4 GHz can also be a factor for this but I highly suspect that it's the drivers). I'm hoping that 16.7.x.x drivers will finally fix this issue.

Lenovo Y470: i7-2670QM | 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM | Nvidia GeForce GT 550M | 500 GB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD | ASUS PCE-AC56 802.11ac Network Adapter | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
DocFire
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 49,418
Message 9 of 62

I can agree with you guys. Suffering also from Bluetooth disconnects with my Xperia Z1.

jonhyeknudsen
Blue Screen Again
Views: 49,287
Message 10 of 62

Hi

Tried that, and thought it had helped, at least for the rest of that day. Since then I've hade plenty of Bluetooth disconnects to my Microsfot Sculpt Comfort Bluetooth mouse. Sometimes it just doesn't respond for a second or so, but minutes later it will just give out completely and only connect if I eaither search for hardware changes in the device manager in windows 8.1 or shut off and on the mouse.

I have also seen Wifi instability, but since I have the wireless broadband, I am less likely to notice it, since the computer just continues on the 3G. Should not have to be this way though. This machine is much too expensive to have such silly problems.

I really hope Lenovo gets their act together and get some driver-updates or something going, that solves these problems.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors