NZ

16 Signins

85 Page Views

• Views: 85
  • Message 1 of 10

T440s not responding / restarting

2014-03-27, 0:55 AM

Hi

I have a 3 month old T440s. The computer won't boot and the LED lights behind the Fn, F1 & F4 keys are permanenty lit. Holding down the power button isn't force restarting or doing anything. 

Any suggestions as to what to do?

Thanks

Options

3017 Posts

03-15-2014

Bangalore

1126 Signins

57257 Page Views

• Views: 57257
  • Message 2 of 10

Re: T440s not responding / restarting

2014-04-01, 10:58 AM

Hi Swazi,

Welcome to Lenovo Community!

I’m sorry to hear that you are facing the issue with not responding on your ThinkPad T440s.

• Please check with connecting only power adapter.
  • Check with removing the battery and connecting only power adapter.
  • Check with removing both power adapter and battery, press and hold the power button for 30 seconds and after 30 seconds connect only power adapter and try to switch ON the system.

If the issue still persist after performing above troubleshooting, then it might be issue with system hardware so we request you to visit nearby authorized Lenovo service center.

Click here to open a link where you can select the country and get the exact contact support number. I’m sure they will be a great help.

Hope this helps! 

Best regards,

Hemanth Kumar

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Options

10381 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39198 Signins

404692 Page Views

• Views: 404692
  • Message 3 of 10

2014-04-01, 15:28 PM
Resetting the machine requires that you remove the internal and external battery. Your machine is probably under warranty, so I will suggest you call support

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

1 Posts

07-16-2014

Canada

1 Signins

8 Page Views

• Views: 8
  • Message 4 of 10

2014-07-16, 14:33 PM

I had the same problem and solved it by inserting a paper clip into the emergency reset hole in the bottom of the laptop (this is also explained in the user guide). 

Options

8 Posts

01-31-2014

NZ

16 Signins

85 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

2014-07-16, 15:04 PM

Hi What's DOS

Thanks for your message. If this had of indeed fixed my problem I will forever kick myself...

Instead I took it to Lenovo to repair under warranty. This took them over two months to do mainly because they somehow managed to smash the screen in the process and didn't have the parts to repair (even though supposedly Lenovo is an international company and presumably shipping machines and parts all around the world every day).

And to make matters worse, I finally got the machine back last week and they have now returned to me a machine that only charges when it is off (I now get an incorrect AC adapter error message everytime I insert the AC adapter when it is on) plus the fingerprint reader isn't working (it is saying there is no reader equipped). Possibly there are other problems that I haven't discovered yet.

I had Lenovo out for about 5 hours trying to fix these latest two issues but were unable to. I think they are just hoping I will disappear.

I am completely demoralised with Lenovo and the lack effort and care they have in trying to resolve what is practically a brand new machine.

Thanks anyway.

Options

53 Posts

04-06-2009

New Zealand

101 Signins

812 Page Views

• Views: 812
  • Message 6 of 10

2014-07-22, 10:03 AM

I had a similar issue. The first time it was faulty memory .

Lenovo took my machine for a month to fix that. 

Then, it was still crashing after getting it back, so lenovo took 2 months to change the motherboard. 

Got it back again, it was still crashing -- the lights would stay on after a bsod and I'd need to wait for the battery to run down.   I didn't know about the reset button. 

Anyway, I returned the machine and got a refund.  To be fair , the issue was intermittent and would have been hard to properly diagnose. 

Options

8 Posts

01-31-2014

NZ

16 Signins

85 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

2014-07-28, 18:26 PM

Hi wreck1080

Lenovo wanted to replace my computer as well, but then they realised they were unable to do so because the International Warranty apparently only covers parts and not replacement (unfortunately I have relocated overseas for a couple of years). This was more frustrating becasue Lenovo themselves were the ones who damaged it when they were trying to fix the original problem. 

The whole situation has been an utter shambles from Lenovo and I am bitterly disappointed as I purposely purchased a new computer before heading overseas so that I would have one that was covered by international warranty so I could have some support and service while overseas. I've got a friend in yachting who is constantly living in different places in some pretty small and remote locations. His computers are constantly failing apparently something to do with living on a boat and the salt etc. He always buys Dell and has had probably half a dozen computers replaced in some far flung places, no questions asked. Dell arranges the replacement computer to be sent to him wherever he is. Compared to this service Lenovo has been an absolute joke.

Anyway, the latest is that it seems I am going to have to put up with this problem for the next 6 months until I return home to visit family and I can take it back to Lenovo in my home country and get it replaced.

Pretty annoyed...

Options

1 Posts

07-17-2015

VietNam

3 Signins

33 Page Views

• Views: 33
  • Message 8 of 10

2015-07-17, 3:46 AM

I had same issued with my X240. I follow your suggetion and it was fixed.tks

Options

1 Posts

10-14-2016

FR

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 9 of 10

2016-10-14, 7:53 AM

Dear All,   I just had the problem of swazi explained in his/her first thread.

It is solved with the solution of 6885 but  I would like to add a precision : 

Remove battery and sector before to reset the laptop with the paper clip in the reset button back on the computer near the battery.

f you dont' remove battery and sector, it will not work.

Now my laptop starts again :-)  

so cool ...

Have a nice day to everybody.

Options

2 Posts

08-04-2017

US

1 Signins

12 Page Views

• Views: 12
  • Message 10 of 10

2017-08-04, 14:24 PM

This helped me solve my problem. Thanks! the key was to remove the battery and AC adapter then hit the reset button. I put the battery back in and it booted up just fine.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save