Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
awitko
Paper Tape
Views: 613
Message 1 of 6

T440s - "Bad" Battery Reported by Lenovo Companion

I have a T440s which I bought in July 2014. It is out of warranty. Lenovo companion reports my "primary" battery is "BAD" but says absolutey nothing else even though it reports a full charge. In fact the lenovo battery icon in the corner of my display shows battery is green and 100%. I'd like to understand whether this battery is bad in the sense that it should be removed from the computer immediately, or whether it has detected that it is no longer holding a full charge and could be left there. I am almost always at the desktop in a docking station so I don't need the full charge.

I don't understand why all they report is "Bad". Any suggestions as to how I might find more or if it is just reporting lower capacity and nothing more?

Also, it was kind of confusing which battery they meant when they said "primary" is bad. I could see an argument that either is the primary battery. Better to have used the terms integrated and removable. I removed the removable battery and reran the test to determine the primary battery is actually the integrated battery. I think the service person said the opposite.

The lenovo companion page that reports the battery is BAD has a link for more information and it goes to a general lenovo webpage that has nothing to do with support. They are trying to get me to apply for a lenovo credit card I think. Its so disgraceful how they dropped the ball on this one.

Alex

Moderator comment: Model added to subject for clarity.

okedokey
What's DOS?
Views: 533
Message 2 of 6

Re: T440s - "Bad" Battery Reported by Lenovo Companion

Yes, I have the exact problem too.  Would like ot see a resolution and clarificaiton for this issue ASAP lenovo.

bump

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 519
Message 3 of 6

Battery health (such as good, bad, etc) refers to the ratio of "Full charge capacity" to "Design capacity", when considering battery age and cycle count.

You can find these things in Lenovo Settings -> Power -> Power Status, click on "Show Details" for the battery.

Can you tell me what's reported for:

- full charge capacity

- design capacity

- first used date

- cycle count

awitko
Paper Tape
Views: 507
Message 4 of 6

@someotherguy wrote:

Battery health (such as good, bad, etc) refers to the ratio of "Full charge capacity" to "Design capacity", when considering battery age and cycle count.

You can find these things in Lenovo Settings -> Power -> Power Status, click on "Show Details" for the battery.

Can you tell me what's reported for:

- full charge capacity

- design capacity

- first used date

- cycle count

So it seems I had to download lenovo settings to do this? Why in the world would you not report this same information in Lenovo companion when you report the battery is bad?

I want to share the readout of the details but I can't cut and paste it. Again, why do you not anticipate that is something people might want to do for customer support purposes? 

It says battery 1 can only store 68.88 percent of its original capacity. 15.98/23.2 WHr. First use 6/28/2014. Cycle count is 19. 

Battery 2 is at 82.7%. 19.42/23.48 WHr. First use 7/8/2014. Cycle count is 60.

Question - if the lower capacity is fine by me, is there any possibility that the battery has other problems that might cause damage to the laptop (e.g. leakage, erratic output, etc.).

I am learning for the first time the option to set the battery threshhold lower. It seems the default settings for both batteries in this mode is 80%. Is that the recommended setting for someone like me that rarely uses the battery only mode, and then rarely uses it for extended time off ac power?

When I have the laptop docked in your docking station, is there any issue with removing the second battery so as not to wear it down?

Thanks.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 500
Message 5 of 6

68% is considered bad for that cycle count and age.  It does not mean there are any other problems like you mention.

It is OK to remove the 2nd (removable) battery if you want to.

The 80% threshold can help preserve battery health if the PC is really plugged in 24/7/365 but a better way is to let the batteries discharge every now and then.

awitko
Paper Tape
Views: 493
Message 6 of 6

@someotherguy wrote:

68% is considered bad for that cycle count and age.  It does not mean there are any other problems like you mention.

It is OK to remove the 2nd (removable) battery if you want to.

The 80% threshold can help preserve battery health if the PC is really plugged in 24/7/365 but a better way is to let the batteries discharge every now and then.

Yes I would say the laptop is in the docking station all the time. I often use it for 12 hour days on AC power. I might remove it once or twice a month to take it out of the office for a day.

When you say discharge it once in a while, how often? In my usage it would have to be a deliberate effort since I don't need extended battery power often.

I guess that is what the 19 and 60 cycle counts mean is that I discharged the first battery about once every 38 days over the two years I owned it and the other about once every 12 days.

Alex

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors