Message 101 of 174

Re: T440s speaker noise

Any update regarding this issue?

cshen24
Punch Card
Views: 2,374
Message 102 of 174

Updates would be great.  I just wanted to add that this issue is present in the W540 as well.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/W540-Speaker-hissing-sound/td-p/1426495

Krystian_PL
SCSI Port
Views: 2,362
Message 103 of 174

That's terrible. I hope they will do sth about it, because I wanna buy (or maybe I'm considering..) T440s during March.
And I can change my decision and buy sth cheaper or buy Macbook Pro or Air..

If this is only software issue, hopefully they will fix it, but if this is a hardware issue... (?)

Sinbad
Punch Card
Views: 2,218
Message 104 of 174

Still no update or information. First and last time I buy a Lenovo.

Krystian_PL
SCSI Port
Views: 2,211
Message 105 of 174

Knock, knock! Mark_Lenovo please give as un update.
You're working on this issue, you don;t know what to do?
Thank you for any info.
jiriberan
Punch Card
Views: 2,057
Message 106 of 174

still no update?

I'm seriously thinking about getting refund and run away from Lenovo.

This kind of incompetence to communicate is totally unacceptable in this business class laptops.

tolga9009
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,025
Message 107 of 174

I did and I'm quite happy right now! Sold my T440s in favor of the Dell Precision M3800. It's not a perfect machine neither, but does most of the stuff better than the T440s, eventhough it's a bit bigger. The amount of issues I had with the T440s was inacceptable for the premium price, so I've immediately sold it after repair. The speaker noise issue probably won't be fixed anymore, because it hasn't been confirmed by Lenovo yet - they can't fix a problem, which they can't identificate. To me, it seems like a mix of hardware / software issue. Only when the audio chip is powered down for power saving purposes (which happens, when muting audio), the noise goes away.

cshen24
Punch Card
Views: 1,657
Message 108 of 174

UPDATES?

Former Administrator
Views: 1,603
Message 109 of 174

All,

At this point we need another sample and preferably from the US.  We have brought several systems in from europe and our teams there have been unable to hear / reproduce the issues described there.

So our investigation is still open, but we probably need a sample here in the US.

If you are in the US and think you have a good example T440s, where the abnormal noise is noticable under normal conditions, please contact me by PM.  I'm looking for a solid "worst case" example rather than something marginal that could only be heard in dead quiet room, with volume turned up and ear near the system.  

I'm noting that, not to downplay the feedback, but I think we do better when we can get a worst case example - generally it helps us see / understand the issue faster and then the fix tends to benefit all.

I'll look for your PM's.  

Many thanks

Mark

joestoy
What's DOS?
Views: 1,556
Message 110 of 174

May I add my two cents?  I have had my T440s for less than a week -- 12GB RAM, SSD, the bigger removable battery.  It came with Windows 8.1, and I have also installed Ubuntu 13.10 (so it dual boots).  I have not updated any drivers, so apart from any automatic updating it might have done, it's at it arrived from China and the Ubuntu download.  I notice the problem only on Linux (but maybe I haven't used the Windows installation enough yet to come across it).

The problem occurs only when on battery power (and perhaps for a second or two after plugging the mains back in -- I guess until it changes its mode).  And it only occurs with external speakers.  On battery power,

(a) pressing any of the three speaker buttions causes an immediate loud click;

(b) a few seconds after that (but immediately after pressing the button if switching on muting), there is a very loud whooshing noise, increasing in volume, going on for almost a second, and ending at maximum volume.  (Imagine Superman flying in and coming to a sudden stop.)  The loudness is independent of the volume setting, and independent of whether the speakers are supposed to be muted or not.  I imagine that with some headphones the noise could be ear-damaging.  (I note in passing that when computers start causing physical injury to their users, it might well end up affecting the vendot's revenue account.)  After this, a gentle quiet hissing from the speakers continues.  The hissing continues if the mains is plugged in; if a button is then pressed, there is a final loud click and the hissing stops.  (After that, on mains power there are no loud clicks.)

I regret that although I'm in the US, I need to use the machine, so I can't volunteer to send it away.  But I hope this description might give you some clue about where the problem lies.

Regards

joe stoy

Top Kudoed Authors