04-25-2018

FI

17 Signins

159 Page Views

• Views: 159
  • Message 1 of 3

T440s will not detect DDR3L RAM

2018-04-25, 17:56 PM

I am trying to add a 4Gb SODIMM to a Lenovo T440s (model 20AQ0062MS with 4 Gb soldered on the motherboard). The RAM is Lenovo part number 0B47380 and should according to http://www.lenovoquickpick.com/deu/accessory/0B47380/lenovo-4gb-ddr3l-1600-pc3-12800-sodimm-memory be suitable for the T440s. I specifically checked that it is 1,35V DDR3L, and I've also tested the same module in another computer, verifying that the module itself works.

This computer (BIOS and all firmware versions newest available per System Update) will not detect the added RAM at all, it just continues to report the built-in 4096 Gb as before, and does not give any POST errors. Hardware diagnostics do not report any failures in any of the components, but tests only the same 4 Gb when doing the memory test. A complete hardware reset (removal of all batteries including clock backup) did not change things at all.

What am I doing wrong? This is the first time ever I encounter this problem with a ThinkPad, since I started working with the original ThinkPad 700 and 700C back in the early nineties (I used to work at IBM Helpware and OS/2 Hotline 1992-95) :). Thankful for any hints.

/MarcusBr, Finland

Options

10396 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39210 Signins

404877 Page Views

• Views: 404877
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: T440s will not detect DDR3L RAM

2018-04-26, 19:56 PM

That stick should work.  I would remove and replace it.  If it still doesn't work, either the memory stick or the slot is defective.  Since you tried it in another machine, the stick is probably good, but I would try a different stick before giving up.  Sometimes a stick can be barely within specifications and not work on one particular machine.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

2 Posts

04-25-2018

FI

17 Signins

159 Page Views

• Views: 159
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: T440s will not detect DDR3L RAM

2018-04-27, 16:25 PM

I tried the stick in another identical T440s (we got a few Lenovos to refurbish), and another stick with the exact same specs (but different manufacturer) in this computer. In both cases neither Lenovo recognized the added RAM (both at same bios and firmware levels). I'd imagine that a full hardware diagnostic should find any fault in the slot or the controller, but both computers pass all tests. Both RAM modules I'm trying to add also pass the diagnostics w/o problems in a different brand of computer that also uses low voltage DDR3L, so the sticks certainly do work. I'm baffled, to say the least. My next step is probably to do a full teardown of the laptop and start heating up the old soldering iron, but I'd rather not go there yet.

Edit: CPU-Z shows the second slot in the SPD tab, but it is of course empty. So the slot is visible to the OS, but the module (any of the ones I've tested) don't show up. It seems a bios issue to me, but can't be sure with all these newfangled uefi stuff and whatnot.

br,

/MarcusBr, Finland

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save