Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ThinkTom
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 10,223
Message 1 of 32

T450 Windows 7 x64 System Update launches Ultra Dock BIOS update

UpdateTool.jpgI recently upgraded System Update on my Thinkpad (T450 with Win7 x64) to Version 5.07.0029. After the upgrade, System Update detected a BIOS update for my 3.0 Ultra Dock (type 40A2; FRU 04W3951). However, the BIOS update does not execute correctly. It launches the Synaptics video hub IC update tool, however the "Update firmware" button is asking for the location of the *.eeprom file, and the "Cancel" button fails to close the window. Clicking on the red 'X' of the window causes a new pop-up to open stating "Synaptics video hub IC update tool has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly."

Manually downloading the BIOS update and launching shows the same update tool window and behavior.

Within System Update, I marked the update as hidden. When I reopened System Update, clicked "Next" from the Welcome screen, and during the Processing Package Information stage, the pop-up UpdateTool window opened automatically.

So, I uninstalled System Update, rebooted, downloaded System Update from the Lenovo Support page,and reinstalled.

Now when I launch System Update, the UpdateTool window opens during the Processing Package information stage before I even see the list of packages available to update my system.

Any help preventing this UpdateTool from auto-launching when I run System Update would be appreciated.

Thank you!

elitecruises
Paper Tape
Views: 9,421
Message 2 of 32

Re: T450 Windows 7 x64 System Update launches Ultra Dock BIOS update

I have the identical problem w/ a Carbon X1 20FB. Appreciate a fix, LENOVO!!!
ThinkTom
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 9,414
Message 3 of 32

I recently contacted Lenovo technical support about this, as my laptop is still under warranty. After the technician uninstalled and reinstalled the System Update software, he observed the problem reoccuring. He then informed me that this was a software issue, and transferred me. The software team stated that I would need to pay money to have this issue addressed.

I don't think Lenovo will address this issue, so if anyone has any ideas, troubleshooting steps, or workarounds for System Update issues, please share! Thank you in advance!

onix
SCSI Port
Views: 9,181
Message 4 of 32

Add my computer to the growing list -- T460s, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

jammer32
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,069
Message 5 of 32

something similar on X1 Version 4.  Every time I launch it this error occurs.

"Synaptics vidio hub IC update tool has stopped working"

From what I can find this is for a dock that I have never even plugged into this X1

elitecruises
Paper Tape
Views: 9,062
Message 6 of 32

Welcome to the miserable club. Maybe Lenovo will EVENTUALLY do something about the problem.
ThinkTom
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 8,789
Message 7 of 32

UPDATE: I recently upgraded my System Update software to version 5.07.0037.

I had high hopes for this upgrade as the release notes mention fixing some undisclosed issues. Unfortunately, now when I launch System Update, the firmware upgrade software launches TWICE during "Processing package information 

Since the 'cancel' button does nothing, I close the application by selecting 'Update firmware, cancelling the next dialog box, and then cancelling the original window. Immediately thereafter the firmware update applet launches again!

I cannot wait until the next version of System Update. I may be spending all day closing firmware windows... :-(

valkyrie
Paper Tape
Views: 8,676
Message 8 of 32

Count me in as well.  T450s with the same issue.  This is very frustrating.  A new System Update doesn't appear to have fixed the problem for me.  Come on Lenovo, this seems to be a widespread issue.

elitecruises
Paper Tape
Views: 8,673
Message 9 of 32

Welcome to the miserable club.  Really not good that Lenovo appears to be ignoring the issue.  I have a new Carbon X1.  Same problem.

ThinkTom
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 7,244
Message 10 of 32

January 2017 and this issue is still not corrected!  Now there is a new behavior: TVSU must be scheduled to run silently, because occasionally I will see the Synaptics "UpdateTool" appear on my desktop unsolicited.

So what was originally only a problem when manually running TVSU is now a recurring hassle that constantly reminds me of Lenovo's lack of customer service!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors