Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Message 31 of 78 (7,002 Views)

Re: T450 - Windows splash freezes after BIOS update

• Did it occur on UMA or SWG system? (UMA as “Intel Graphics only”, SWG as “Intel & nVIDIA Graphics”) - UMA (I see no mention of nVIDIA anywhere)
  • Was it on a CPU model? - i7-5600U
  • Which OS? Win7, x86, or x64? Was it Legacy installed or UEFI installed? - Win7 x64
  • Was the BIOS updated by Winflash package or ISO package? - Lenovo System Update, Critical update
  • Were there any specific changes in the BIOS setup before BIOS was flashed? - I did change from default for the boot order.
Fanfold Paper
Message 32 of 78 (6,997 Views)

If the engineering team want one to work with, I'm more than happy to have this one collected and repaired since it's warranty has just expired ;-)

Paper Tape
Message 33 of 78 (6,968 Views)

[ Edited ]

I need my laptop back!  Here is the requested info:

• my 'Lenovo Service Request Confirmation'  - 402D7D8

• Did it occur on UMA or SWG system?  - UMA
  • Was it on a CPU model? - i7-5600U
  • Which OS? Win7, x86, or x64? Was it Legacy installed or UEFI installed? - shipped with Legacy installed Win7 x64, immediatly upgrade to Win10 x64 (still Legacy, as no change made)
  • Was the BIOS updated by Winflash package or ISO package? - Lenovo System Update, Critical update
  • Were there any specific changes in the BIOS setup before BIOS was flashed? - none that i recall in last several months

...and Win10 has been running fine for months and months; i was not in the process of upgrading to 10.

Fanfold Paper
Message 34 of 78 (6,898 Views)

It's been 3 days since the last message now.

I'm guessing that engineering still haven't managed to replicate the issue. Can we at least get some movement from support to commit to board replacements for the affected laptops, including those that aren't under warranty?

My client isn't going to be particularly happy about a trashed T450s from a BIOS update.

Thanks.

Highlighted
Fanfold Paper
Message 35 of 78 (6,862 Views)

[ Edited ]

I'm having the exact same issue after upgrading to 1.25. System was running, did bios upgrade, but did not manage to get into windows afterwards

Only upgraded because the update was marked critical.

Is there any resolution as of now?

Edit to answer the question list:

My service request # is: 402F9G4

Did it occur on UMA or SWG system? UMA
Which OS? Win7, x86, or x64? Was it Legacy installed or UEFI installed? Windows 7 x64 as installed by lenovo, did not reinstall it.
Was the BIOS updated by Winflash package or ISO package? Through the Winflash package
Were there any specific changes in the BIOS setup before BIOS was flashed Not that I know of.

BIOS Version: JBET61WW (1.25)

Embedded Controller Version: JBHT17WW (1.04)

ME Firmware Version: 10.0.38.1000

CPY Type: I7-5600U

Edit 2: After disabling everything that is to be disabled in the BIOS I was able to boot again!

By enabling every option one-by-one I was able to narrow the problem to the option "Execution Prevention" in tab Security -> Memory Protection.

As this basically disables DEP, this is not a lasting fix in my opinion, but at least it got me up and running again.

Lenovo, please fix this. I hope this added information helps

Paper Tape
Message 36 of 78 (6,842 Views)

I disabled "Execution Prevention" and it worked for me. Huge thanks to @rostvertol-mil!!! I agree this is a temporary fix, and will wait for a permanent solution.
Paper Tape
Message 37 of 78 (6,830 Views)

Same here Smiley Happy - very happy!

I disabled the Execution Prevention and am back up and running.

Thanks so much rostvertol-mil 

Jared

Paper Tape
Message 38 of 78 (6,823 Views)

So here is a question...

Is it that this group of users are the only T450s users who have Execution Prevention turned on in our BIOS and it's a conflict between Windows & the EP, or is it a conflict between some other common piece of software/malware that we haev and the EP?

I'm thinking that given we reached the windows splash screen it should be a Windows component that is the conflict, and not some other 'well behaving' piece of software. 

Just a thought - I guess that is probably up to the Lenovo Engineering team to figure out.

Fanfold Paper
Message 39 of 78 (6,806 Views)

I can confirm rostvertol-mil 's finding :  After disabling "Execution Prevention" in the BIOS the Windows on my notebook is starting again.

Thanks rostvertol-mil !  You are my hero!!!  ;-)

Paper Tape
Message 40 of 78 (6,796 Views)

Execution Prevention disabled, and i'm booting into Windows 10 again.  Thank you rostvertol-mil.

Top kudoed Authors