Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kazakov_bg
Paper Tape
Views: 971
Message 1 of 6

T450 screen flickering problem

Hello,

The screen of my T450 flickers and becomes purple when it is flexed. The problem goes away when you apply pressure on the bezel under the display so the problem must be caused by a loose connection.

I upgraded the original TN display of the T450 to an IPS screen so I presume that my warranty is void. My question is should I replace the screen again or is there a way to fix the connections in the soft black ribbon under the LCD panel? Is there a tutorial how this could be done?

Thank you for your suggestions!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 939
Message 2 of 6

Re: T450 screen flickering problem

I cannot be sure without seeing it, but it sounds like the contact tape is making poor contact inside the panel.  That can happen if the panel fails or if there was a problem when installing the panel, causing the screen to be flexed or stressed.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
kazakov_bg
Paper Tape
Views: 918
Message 3 of 6

Thank you for the suggestion. The contact tape on the bazel is not holding very well as I removed the screen several times. I'll put stronger adhesive tape to see whether this will fix the problem.

kazakov_bg
Paper Tape
Views: 898
Message 4 of 6

I removed the black secreen bezel and applied double sided tape in the bottom part. However, this didn't fix the problem but I odered a new bezel just in case. 

I just wanted to check whether there could be somehting else that I can try. The bezel looks to be purely decorative so I can't see how it can influence the flickering. 

The problem seems to come from the connections under the screen that are hidden in a soft black enclosure and revealed when the bezel is removed (see enclosed image). 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 891
Message 5 of 6

I am not talking about the adhesive holding the bezel.  The contact tape is a strip with electrical contacts that connects to the row and column drivers inside the panel.  On an FHD screen, there are 1920 on the horizontal run and 1080 on the vertical run.  When that tape delaminates, the panel fails.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
kazakov_bg
Paper Tape
Views: 870
Message 6 of 6

Ok, thank you. I will check whether there are any signs of delamination of this tape and whether it can be fixed. If not, I'll replace the screen.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors