Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LeoB
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,448
Message 1 of 41

T450S and Pro Dock Problems After Recent Updates

A few days ago WIn10 downloaded and installed a huge update. After that finished I checked ThinkPad System Update and downloaded and installed a number of updates. That's when the problems began.

I've had the T450S and the Pro Dock (40A10090US) since March, replacing an aging W520 and dock. The Pro Doc worked fine except for an annoying issue. When the T450S was shut down in the dock there was a loud line buzz in the speakers connected to the dock. I gave up trying to fix that, I just shut the speakers off at the same time.

However, after the updates mentioned above two new problems surfaced.

• When the T450S is in the dock with the lid closed and powered off, booting it from the dock button turns on the T450S (lights come on) but nothing happens (blank screen when opened and no keyboard response). I have to open the lid, use the power button to shut it down, and then boot it with the lid open. Then it boots fine.
  • When it does boot up, it used to automatically go to the external monitor and leave the laptop screen off. Now it boots to both screens (Duplicate setting) and I have to use Win+P to force it to second screen only. This is in spite of the fact that Display Settings is set for second display only.

In the ThinkPad updates installed about the same time were two dock firmware updates:

• ThinkPad Pro/Ultra Dock Synaptics Firnware 2.22.000
  • ThinkPad Pro/Ultra Dock VIA Firmware 5041

I've tried it with all USB connections to the dock unplugged, but no change. When I connect the external monitor directly to the T450S and boot without the dock, it boots fine but still shows both displays and I still have to Win+P to force it to second screen, which makes me think this may be a Win10 issue, but Display Settings shows that it is supposed to boot to the external monitor only. Power setting is to do nothing when the lid is closed when on AC power.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks.

jacobwilliam
Paper Tape
Views: 3,403
Message 2 of 41

Re: T450S and Pro Dock Problems After Recent Updates

Do the firmware update for the dock. After the fuzzies happened to me twice this morning before updating, it hasn't happened in the last 3.5 hours after.
mlody
Paper Tape
Views: 3,399
Message 3 of 41

I have T450 and same issue with powering it up after the recent Windows/Lenovo updates. I used be able to power it on with the lid closed just fine, but now, it wont. I also have to open the lid and power it up with the lid open to boot up in the dock.

Does anyone know how to downgrade the firmware levels on the docks, or is there any other solution to this problem?

Highlighted
robsw
What's DOS?
Views: 3,366
Message 4 of 41

Yesterday, I updated my T450s and, among other updates,I updated the Ultra Dock 90W firmare to version 2.29.00.  Afterward, when the laptop is docked, with the cover shut, and I try to power up the unit, it won't do so.  When I open the laptop in the dock, the power indicator is green and there is a green light on the function key.  No matter what I try, the machine won't power up after this.  If I force it to shut down and then try to power it up open instead, it powers up normally and both the laptop screen and the attached monitor work and, if I close the cover after, the attached monitor still works.  Obviously, I can use the machine docked with this work around, but I can't figure out why it won't work when I try to poweer it up closed.  I subsequently updated to version 2.30.00 and the behavior continues.

What am I missing here? 

Moderator comment: Post and reply erged in. Subject edited.

Jerry_Lippey
SCSI Port
Views: 3,359
Message 5 of 41

We have the identical problem here with two T450s machines and two ThinkPad Pro docks.

But it apparently depends on the specific dock. Both machines boot properly in two other ThinkPad Pro docks (purchased at a different time) with the same updated firmware.

We'd decided to just accommodate to the workaround where necessary.

Edited to add: there are two utilities involved. I think we may have updated both. 

DockFirmware.jpg

-Jerry
Channel 9
wernerba
What's DOS?
Views: 3,346
Message 6 of 41

Getting the exact behavior. Wish I was able to roll back the firmware on the Ultra Dock.

LeoB
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,344
Message 7 of 41

According to the Lenovo website, I have the latest firnware for the Pro dock. I went ahead and downloaded it anyway and when I tried to install it the log said the install failed as it is already installed.

Jerry_Lippey
SCSI Port
Views: 3,346
Message 8 of 41

A moderator should combine with this thread.

Moderator comment: Done. Thank you for the heads-up.

-Jerry
Channel 9
LeoB
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,313
Message 9 of 41

Exactly the symptoms I have when I started this thread.
Jerry_Lippey
SCSI Port
Views: 3,252
Message 10 of 41

This is particularly inconvenient for one of our users, Leo. Have you found a solution?

-Jerry
Channel 9

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors