Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
raleighgirl
Paper Tape
Views: 488
Message 1 of 7

T450S not using available RAM

I have a T450S laptop. It came with 8 GB of RAM (4 on the board and 4 GB SO-DIMM). I replaced the SO-DIMM with a Crucial 16GB one. When I look at the system information, it indicates that I have all 20 GB of RAM available. I recently asked the computer to do a relatively big, but not that big, processing job that took a long time (14 minutes). While it was crunching, I checked the resource monitor and it indicated that only 3.9 GB of the RAM were being used and that  ~16GB were available - but the extra 16 wasn't being used, just sitting there being available. When the processing completed, the resource monitor still says that 3.5 GB are being used with "regular" computing - so basically, nothing was different with the big job compared to just ordinary tasks. How do I make the computer use all of the memory that it has? I've looked all over for some sort of setting.

memory.png

Guru
Views: 469
Message 2 of 7

Re: T450S not using available RAM

It's possible that the processing job wan't RAM intensive, or was a 32 bit process.

What was the software you were using?

If the software was only 32 bit, then it will only ever use 4GB of RAM.

I am a volunteer. Please post your questions in the forum, as I will not reply if they are sent in a personal message.

W530(2436-CTO): i7-3720QM, HD4000 + K2000M, 32GB RAM, 1TB, 750GB Ultrabay, 250GB mSATA , Ubuntu 18.04, Ultimate-N 6300.
TP Yoga 14(20FY): i5-6200U, HD 520 + 940M, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel Wireless 8260, Ubuntu 18.04
Yoga Home 900(27ibu): i7-5500, HD5500 + 940A, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Windows Insider Fast
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 448
Message 3 of 7

Big job doesn't necessarily translate to a lot of memory.  If you needed to spell check the U,S. Library of Congress against the Unabridged Oxford English dictionary.  You could probably load the entire dictionary into 2 MB.  You would need a couple of file buffers and a small lookup routine.  It would be a huge task, but would require very little memory, and more memory wouldn't help.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
raleighgirl
Paper Tape
Views: 424
Message 4 of 7

I'm using Atlas.ti 7.5.12. It's a qualitative software program and runs on 64 bit machines. According to their website under recommended configuration:

"Bigger is better! The more available resources (especially RAM and processor power) your system has, the more comfortably and smoothly will you be able to work with ATLAS.ti. For work with multimedia material, embedded content, or for running auxiliary applications we strongly recommend PC systems of a solid mid- to upper-level capacity."

I have Windows 10, 64 bit. I have a big project - 3200 documents. I've coded 48 of them and I was running a 'code x document' output. It took 14 minutes for that to be produced.  The documents themselves are very small - no more that 6-8 sentences each and there are 20 codes. While I probably should have filtered for only the documents I coded, it still took a long time. Even opening the project takes about a couple of minutes. When I upgraded my T450S from 8 GB ram to 20, I expected a noticeable performance improvement, but I haven't seen it and it seems like it isn't being used when it should be. Is there some sort of setting I need to find to "turn on" the extra RAM?

Skoop
Bit Torrent
Views: 419
Message 5 of 7

It might run on 64 bit Windows, but is the software 64 bit? 

I looked and looked on their site and couldn't find much at all about it.  The fact that they recommend 2 GB RAM suggests that it's 32 bit. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 403
Message 6 of 7

If you are running a 64-bit operating system, the memory is there.  It is between the application program and the operating system to get it allocated.  The way that is done depends on the language that was used to write the application.  Hundreds of years ago, I did some C++ programming and the instruction was malloc or you you could create big things with the "new" operator.  It is VERY unlikely that any limitation could be related to the fact that the machine is a T450s.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
raleighgirl
Paper Tape
Views: 397
Message 7 of 7

I've posted to the Atlas.ti forum to ask them about 32 vs. 64 bit operations in their software. I'll check back here when I get their answer.

Thanks.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors