Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stability
Paper Tape
Views: 1,518
Message 1 of 6

T450s Ultradock Ethernet not working

The Ethernet port in my Thinkpad Ultradock 40A2 won’t connect to the network anymore, and displays a status of “Network Cable Unplugged” even though there is a verified working connection plugged into the dock.  This dock had worked flawlessly for four months until yesterday when I needed to use the Ethernet connection on my Thinkpad T450s (undocked).  Previously I had only used the laptop undocked in WiFi mode.  My T450s’ Ethernet port works as expected when undocked, but neither the laptop Ethernet nor the dock Ethernet work when the T450s is docked.

I have tested this connection with different cables, routers, and laptops to verify 100 percent that everything downstream from the dock is working correctly.

I then upgraded (via WiFi) all drivers and BIOS for the T450s and upgraded the Ultradock Firmware.  Immediately after that, the dock Ethernet connection worked until the laptop was rebooted then it reverted to the adapter status of “Network Cable Unplugged” in Control Panel>Network Connections.

My wild guess is that after enabling the T450s Ethernet port something in the OS is forcing the Ethernet port on the laptop to have priority over the dock Ethernet port, but the T450s’ Ethernet port is designed to not function when docked.  I have no idea how or where I would investigate or change this behavior.  Ethernet has priority over WiFi in advanced settings.

Should a second, separate Ethernet adapter be showing in Control Panel>Network Connections for the dock?  I only show one Ethernet adapter.

OS is Windows 10 64bit.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,500
Message 2 of 6

Re: T450s Ultradock Ethernet not working

There will not be a second port.  When docked, the port on the laptop is simply turned off and switched through to the one on the dock. Are any errors appearing in the device manager?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Stability
Paper Tape
Views: 1,494
Message 3 of 6

No errors in Device Manager.  I'm thinking about deleting the ethernet port driver and letting Windows discover it and reinstall.  

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,466
Message 4 of 6

That sounds good.  Also, inspect the port, looking for bent pins.

Are you plugged in or on battery?  If plugged in, is AC plugged into dock or laptop?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Stability
Paper Tape
Views: 1,434
Message 5 of 6

Power is plugged into dock.  Have inspected the port, no bent or askew pins.

Before this happened, I had ordered an identical dock (and a T460) for my business partner, and I have another identical Ultradock arriving today, so I will be able to try a different dock to see if there is an issue with the dock.

Lenovo support responded to this by sending me a box for me to ship them my laptop for a week.  That is an undesirable option, and there's evidently no live support available to help me troubleshoot port settings.

claudfiore
What's DOS?
Views: 378
Message 6 of 6

All of these threads seem to just stop without a final solution!

I have a 40A20090UK 90W UK ultra dock with a T460 i5 laptop running Windows 10 docked, and the LAN port on the dock does not work at all. I have tried updating firmware on dock, Laptop BIOS to most recent, removed and reinstalled LAN drivers while docked, and still no LAN when the laptop is docked. only WIFI. Undocked, the laptop LAN works fine. I am out of ideas now, have tried everything, including another dock (same problems) everything else on the dock is working fine. There are no bent pins, cables have been tested, everything works directly on the laptop, but not when docked. Has anyone got a solution to this at all?

Thanks.

C

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors