Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vegarab
Paper Tape
Views: 1,350
Message 1 of 6

T450s cracked glass - need replacement

I have a T450s with a slight crack in the glass-protector. It is a model with the 1080p IPS touchscreen, with no plastic bezels: It is glass all over. The glass got a crack that I'd like to get fixed. The touch and screen is 100% functional, just the glass cracked.

I haven't been able to find any good parts for changing the glass only. Is this even possible?

I just want the cheapest possible solution here, I can do replacements myself, just need the correct parts: I don't really need the touch, just want the 1080p IPS panel to work nicely.

Thanks.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,330
Message 2 of 6

Re: T450s cracked glass - need replacement

The thing you call the "glass" is really the static discharge digitizer.  There is a matrix of very fine wires running through the glass and it is bonded to the LCD panel.  It can only be replaced as a complete unit.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Vegarab
Paper Tape
Views: 1,314
Message 3 of 6

Thank you for the reply.

Alright, so the fact that the touchscreen is still working is pure luck - because it is part of the glass itself?
If I understand you correctly: There is no way to replace the glass without replacing the screen in its enterity? Where the parts alone would cost ~200USD. Or would this part do the trick? https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/14-0-Touch-Display-Panel-For_60244185041.html?spm=a2700.77248... It looks like it's only the front glass-piece...

Is there a possibility to replace the whole screen assembly and get a matte one with the 'normal' plastic bezels? Or would this just be more expensive?

If neither of those options are viable, are there any *good* screen protectors I can place ontop of the broken glass to prevent it more cracking more? I don't really need the touch and the crack is barely noticable. I am just afraid it will crack more if I handle the laptop too roughly.

Thank you.

CrypticLottery
Token Ring
Views: 1,310
Message 4 of 6

Well, that Allibabi link is well over half the way to the cost of a new LCD unit. You have to buy a minimum quantity of 2, likely at a price closer to 79 bucks each than $40 each, given that they're offering 5,000 units a week and you're just buying the bare minimum, once. And that extra $40 spent goes to a) no doubt that the replacement part ordered will work and b) pretty simple replacement steps if you read Lenovo's hardware manual (https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/t450s_hmm_en_sp40g54937.pdf, printed page 84)

As for your question about a screen protector to help against the spread of the crack - I'm going to go with a no on that.

Once glass gets a crack in it, that's it - it will continue to spread. Think about an automobile glass, that's laminated during production. Even with that level of protection, once you get a crack over time it will continue to spread.

Good luck!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,301
Message 5 of 6

You can replace the assembly with non-touch, but you cannot just replace the panel.  Hinges, lid, camera, cables all are different

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Vegarab
Paper Tape
Views: 1,294
Message 6 of 6

What are the cheapest parts I can get for that then? I am very confused as to what parts of the monitor needs replacing, and the different models of screens. It seems there are matte non-touch, matte-touch AND all-glass fronts?

Thank you.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors