cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AcE-Krystal
Token Ring
Views: 2,768
Message 1 of 9

T450s startup takes 35 seconds before showing splash screen. (11 sec wake-up)

The follwing are my problems:

1. When starting up the machine, it takes about 35 seconds before the first screen activity appears (Lenovo splash screen). After that it boots quite normal.
2. When waking out of sleep mode it takes 11 seconds before I see the power led stopping to "breath" and the screen wakes up.

It feels like this is a hardware/bios related issue, as (so far I know) hdd/ssd is only accessed after the bios has loaded and has finished its hardware checks. When sticking in a bootable usb it only starts flickering after the bios had loaded on screen.

Question:
Does anyone has an idea why my laptop is waiting so long to boot or to wake up? I don't mind waiting a bit, but waiting for 35 seconds + the normal boot time is really annoying. Specially with the fact that the laptop doesn't show any sign of live for 35 seconds after briefly lighting up the keyboard backlights. The wake-up delay is also very annoying since even my 7 year old BSOD laptop wakes-up faster, and I'm using sleep mode a lot.

Some origins that I'm thinking about:
- Hardware check during initial hardware startup does not yet recognize a dedicated GPU card. (POST: Power On Self Test)
- I don't think this is a problem with my software since the problems occurs before reading any media.

Things I tryed already:
- Reset bios.
- Start in legacy mode.
- Bios update
- rebuilding MBR (although I don't expect this to be the problem.)
- Refreshing windows installation although I don't expect this to be the problem.)

This problem was already at the beginning (with origenal hardware):
From the first time I started the laptop (so even with the HDD) I noticed it took quite long to start. I remember pressing the ON/OFF button multiple times and thinking I did something wrong, when suddenly the "Lenovo" splash screen appeared.

I hope someone can help me!

AcE-Krystal
Token Ring
Views: 2,764
Message 2 of 9

Re: T450s startup takes 35 seconds before showing splash screen. (11 sec wake-up)

Also, can someone with a T450s + Nvidia 940M version confirm if he or she has the same problem or not?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,731
Message 3 of 9

Re: T450s startup takes 35 seconds before showing splash screen. (11 sec wake-up)

@AcE-Krystal wrote:

Also, can someone with a T450s + Nvidia 940M version confirm if he or she has the same problem or not?

Hello and welcome,

From full power down it's 1 second from power button press to Lenovo splash.  About 15 seconds to bring up log in screen.  From normal shut down (Win 8/10 style more like hibernation) it's 1 second to Lenovo splash, 8 seconds to log in screen.

This is with Win 10 installed but that shouldn't affect the power to BIOS splash time.  IIRC with Win 8.1 the times were about the same.

[edit] 256GB m.2 SSD  + 1TB HDD.  Booting from SSD.

[more edit] Sleep to login screen takes less than 1 second.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

AcE-Krystal
Token Ring
Views: 2,719
Message 4 of 9

Thanks a lot Zoltanthegypsy!

So then this kinda confirms that it is a problem with my hardware.
I contacted IBM already and they told me they will order a mainboard replacement. When they have it, an engineer will call me to replace it.

I have big hopes now that this will fix my problem since this will replace almost all hardware and firmware that has to do with the pre-boot enviroment.

I will post new updates.
AcE-Krystal
Token Ring
Views: 2,649
Message 5 of 9

My problems have been solved!

An engineer contacted me that they have recieved a spare mainboard and they wanted to make an appointment. I gave them the adress where I worked the next day since I'm very mobile, and the next day an engineer came by. He seemed like a skilled IBM engineer and tested my machine and came to the same conclusion as me. He then did a few tests to see if the problem was caused by something else then the mainboard but ended by replacing my mainboard with good care.

After the replacement the the boot and wake-up time was normal like it should be. I'm very pleased by the service Lenovo ThinkPad has given me.

I need to add that when I called for support I got someone on the line that could not really understand me, neighter dutch or english. But that was also duo a bad connection it seemed.. But after that call I did not really expect this would come to a good end. I was then really suppriced that 5 day's later a dutch engineer manager called me to make a appointment.

dbldutch
What's DOS?
Views: 2,050
Message 6 of 9

Did you have any trouble with your wireless as well?  I timed my T450 post time, and it was 35 seconds.  I also have an issue with my wireless, it regularly disconnects.  I ordered a new card, but I haven't had a chance to test it and see if it works better OR possibly fixes my incredibly slow post time.

AcE-Krystal
Token Ring
Views: 1,967
Message 7 of 9

I can't really remember if I had WiFi problems, I'm don't think I had them although it doesn't sound completely strange. If it happend it was only 1 time a day or something.

I do currently have a other problem that I directly noticed with my new mainboard, but I'm unsure if this is a software or hardware issue. That is my RJ45 network port sometimes doesn't refresh its IP even though a replug the cable or do a forced dhcp release/request. It will keep comming up with the last known IP or a 169. IP. If I try to dissable the network card hardware from the adapter manager I get crashe errors and freezes. you need a restart to fix it. As I'm a network architect and builder/tester this got me caught up in big problems some times. I now know I need to put my laptop in sleep every time I request a new IP to be sure I'm not getting hit by this problem. So I can live with it.. but I really hoped this would be a windows 10 related problem that would get updated. anyway... offtopic Smiley Tongue

I would indeed see if a new mainboard fixes your problems, thats what did it for me.

Arlyn23
What's DOS?
Views: 1,556
Message 8 of 9

I have a same problem, I just changed my old HDD with SSD, but it took longer time to start the splash screen than it's usual time. it needs around 35 seconds. I am in Japan, in your case, how did you claim your problem at support center?, I have told them my problem, and they said it was my problem because I replaced HDD with SSD.

Thank you. 

dbldutch
What's DOS?
Views: 1,531
Message 9 of 9

In my case, I was not using low voltage RAM, when i switched it out, all my problems went away

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors