Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ThinkPadderUK
Punch Card
Views: 10,397
Message 11 of 18

Re: T460 Blurry display and scaling issues

I wouldn't blame Lenovo here. Medieval 96 dpi should go away as soon as possible. The trouble is, unlike in Android, which was born when the phones were starting to have higher and varying dpi so from early stage developers hadn't have the chance to tie anything on the screen to physical pixels, Windows developers lived in 96-dpi world for most of their lifetimes. Now they have to switch to varying dpi world, which they only will when forced (that is, there will be too many high-dpi displays with Windows computers for them to ignore). Even that 'scaling' on Windows is a medieval concept, it still indicates as if the universe was going round 96 dpi (100%), which doesn't have any sense. It's not anywhere close to human eye resolution, which lies somewhere around 350 dpi (from 10 inches distance). That means slightly above 4K for 14" screen.

ocddave
Punch Card
Views: 10,397
Message 12 of 18

Typing has been an issue with me to, especially the reversed FN and CTRL keys, I am used to finding the CTRL key in the bottom most left corner on my other laptops, drives me nuts when I do CTRL+C , CTRL+A, and CTRL+V when working. I find the whole FN functionality backwards thinking to begin with, the FN should be off by default, and I shouldn't have to hit FnLk and put up with the a light. F1-F12 should be default, not secondary.

ocddave
Punch Card
Views: 10,386
Message 13 of 18

ThinkPadderUK wrote:

I wouldn't blame Lenovo here. Medieval 96 dpi should go away as soon as possible. The trouble is, unlike in Android, which was born when the phones were starting to have higher and varying dpi so from early stage developers hadn't have the chance to tie anything on the screen to physical pixels, Windows developers lived in 96-dpi world for most of their lifetimes. Now they have to switch to varying dpi world, which they only will when forced (that is, there will be too many high-dpi displays with Windows computers for them to ignore). Even that 'scaling' on Windows is a medieval concept, it still indicates as if the universe was going round 96 dpi (100%), which doesn't have any sense. It's not anywhere close to human eye resolution, which lies somewhere around 350 dpi (from 10 inches distance). That means slightly above 4K for 14" screen.

Yes, but these are business laptops, which will more likely be using older legacy software, than other users. Home computer users and gamers can expect changes, but generally business lags behind. So no matter what they should do, its just not going to happen, in most cases some of these older legacy systems are not going to ever get updated. Build the system for what it is going to be used for, and test it in that environment, not just add the latest and greatest and hope for the best.

Former Employee
Views: 10,238
Message 14 of 18

In response to customer reports that the “My Computer” icons appear blurry on T460 and X260 ThinkPads running Windows 7, 8.1, or 10, Lenovo has released a solution via Intel HD Graphics driver update, version 20.19.15.4454.

<20.19.15.4454> (R02D221W)

- (Fix) Fixed an issue that Distorted Icons/Labels appears if resize the application windows manually

- (Fix) Fixed an issue that Garbage show on Device Manager when resize Windows

The latest version of the graphics driver can be downloaded here: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds105822

Thank you,

KenovaOne
Punch Card
Views: 9,917
Message 15 of 18

Hey. My Yoga 2 13 had the same problem. Just found this fix two years after purchase. I show you how to turn on proper scaling of mmc and installer programs with two registry entries. Clear fonts without exception.

https://youtu.be/3w6SaeuCJ_o

If you're already comfortable with the registry, go to HKCU>Control Panel>Desktop and change the Win8 scaling key to "1" and add a new key "LogPixels" with a value 78 (which changes the windows default of 96 pixels to 120 pixels). You shouldn't need all of the compatibility fix stuff after this.

Crystal clear across the board for the first time!! Cheers!

xtdv
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 9,760
Message 16 of 18

My T460 with FHD display has blurry when set scale to 125% too. It's Windows issue, not display driver issue.

I found a topic can solve my problem

http://www.tenforums.com/general-support/11079-fix-windows-10-blurry-text-windows.html?s=0c457ed9a79...

Hope this help.

ThinkPad T460
T43 > T60 > T61 > T400s > T420s
nikolatim
What's DOS?
Views: 8,442
Message 17 of 18

Installation of  driver you suggested failed with the message "This computer does not meet minimum requirements for installing the software"

I have T460s, type 20FA-S4R500.

Any idea what could be the "minimum requirements"?

Vexena
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,424
Message 18 of 18

The driver he suggested is for the T460 and not compatible with the T460s, you can download the newest graphics driver for your model here:

http://support.lenovo.com/be/nl/downloads/DS119528

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors