Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bsalmanjwt
What's DOS?
Views: 59,468
Message 1 of 21

T460 Windows 7 install error

Hello,

I recently received some T460s that I am to deploy to users in the company I work for. When we first get a new model, we make an image for the machine. For the T460, I can't get past the driver error that has, in the past, been typically associated with DVD drivers.

I looked around and discovered that the error pops up for computers that have USB 3.0 ports, and the fix has been to go into the BIOS and have them operate as USB 2.0 ports. I don't see any options in the BIOS other than completely shutting them off (which I can't do because I boot from a USB drive for the install). I've also tried putting drivers on another device also connected to the machine, but it doesn't get recognized.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can get around this? I don't have the option of using Windows 10, as the company is strictly Windows 7 for now. Thanks for any help you can offer Smiley Happy

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 59,451
Message 2 of 21

Re: T460 Windows 7 install error

Hello and welcome,

A little more detail might help.  You're getting the error that says something like "a required CD or DVD driver is missing"?  That can be USB 3.0 issues - among other things.

Are you using USB 3.0 media - flash drive or external HDD?  If so try USB 2.0 media or connecting via a USB 2.0 hub.  Not sure if your particular chipset defaults to 2.0 mode in that case but it's worth a try.

[edit] Checked my notes.  The USB 2.0 hub trick can allow a USB 3.0 boot flash drive to appear in the boot menu with some USB 3.0 chipsets.  It doesn't solve the OP's issue.  See below.  Sorry about the noise.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

stevenbe
Blue Screen Again
Views: 59,429
Message 3 of 21

hello - i think we have the same problem.

lenovo t460s is shipped with an pci-e ssd and windows 10 installation.

for company deployment i want to install windows 7.

just for testing i connected an lenovo usb dvd drive. during the winpe phase one errormessage appears that the drivers for the usb drive can not be found. in this window i can browse for drivers. when i connect an usb stick - i can not access to the stick because it is not recognized...

i tried with our company deployment tool CA - i have added the winpe 3.1 drivers for network card and storage.

no chance - installation quiets that winpe is not able to get the hdd. diskpart - list disk - no fixed disk is found.

so which driver i should load to get access to the pci-e ssd.

i have added just for testing - the whole chipset drivers, intel storage drivers, winpe drivers.

can someone help me with an windows 7 sp1 installation and pci-e hdd ?

thanks steven

bsalmanjwt
What's DOS?
Views: 59,416
Message 4 of 21

Hi Z,

Thanks for replying! I am using a USB 2.0 stick, and have also tried connecting it to a USB 2 hub as well, and get the same result.

Thanks!

Brian

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 59,375
Message 5 of 21

Windows 7 install ISO does not support PCIe/NVMe SSD.  To add this support, you need to apply a hotfix to the install ISO.  See here:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2990941

Windows 7 install ISO also does not support USB 3.0.  To add this support, you need to apply the USB 3.0 driver for your system to the install ISO.  You can get the driver from the support website, and add it using the same technique as shown in the MS link above.

comatose1122
Paper Tape
Views: 59,314
Message 6 of 21

After a whole day of searching to get windows 7 to install on this @#$#@$ t460 I found this:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility

Now I can install Windows 7 from a USB. However, when I get into Windows there are no USB drivers.

stevenbe
Blue Screen Again
Views: 59,266
Message 7 of 21

@someoneguy

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 59,262
Message 8 of 21

stevenbe

I'm using USB 3.0 driver from SCCM driver pack, but for your convenience, I zipped it up and put it here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62276273/share/drivers.x64.zip

This is what I injected into my Win7 install ISO, so I know it works.

comatose1122
Paper Tape
Views: 59,254
Message 9 of 21

Why did the team at Lenovo decide to EXCLUDE the USB drivers from the main download page and just include it in the SCCM package?

Users will first go to the download page > filter by USB to get the driver.

I am a seasoned IT expert and spent so much time trying to get the USB driver to work before I saw it in the SCCM package.

Also once you install the USB driver then a bunch of other devices show up as well e.g. touchscreen etc.

Lenovo team needs to go a better job of managing its drivers!

stevenbe
Blue Screen Again
Views: 59,236
Message 10 of 21

@someotherguy

thanks for your help again.

access to harddisk and access to usb is OK now.

BUT ...

i got the screen "where do you want to install windows?" when i select the harddisk i got the following errormessage:

windows cannot be installed to this disk. this computers hardware may not support booting to this disk. ensure that the disk controller is enabled in the computers BIOS menu.

bios is set to legacy only. what did i wrong?

Top Kudoed Authors