Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DennyK1
Paper Tape
Views: 189
Message 1 of 4

T460 in ultra dock not recognizing external HDMI monitor at startup

I'm not sure whether this belongs here or in another section but here goes.

Situation:  T460 in mechanical ultra dock 90W with external display HDMI connected to dock, laptop lid closed.  Has been working great 3 years.

At startup, since Win 10 1903 update a few weeks back, external display flashes splash screen and indicator quickly green, then goes yellow and display dark.  Laptop light/fan stay on and is running.

If pull and reconnect power at dock, ext display will go green and come up.

If pull and reconnect HDMI connector at display or dock, display will go green and come up.

If open laptop screen, can enter password and get screen swapped over to external only and get going, when close lid, goes to sleep per power settings, but then wakes up and external display is working.

What I've done:

With power disconnect/connect at dock fixing, I flashed latest dock firmware to 2.33 but that didn't solve.

Updated BIOS from 1.36 to latest 1.41 level, didn't work either

Updated graphics driver to latest 25.20.100.6472 from Lenovo, I have read here there is later version from Intel directly  https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T470s-40A20170US-external-display-issues...

It almost seems like there is some power setting that 1903 update changed where the laptop doesn't know it is in dock with external monitor connected.

What is the consensus on next step?  Thanks

schmidtj
802.11n
Views: 153
Message 2 of 4

Re: T460 in ultra dock not recognizing external HDMI monitor at startup

Restart the Video Driver: CNTL+SHIFT+WIN+B

OR Turn off Fast Startup

DennyK1
Paper Tape
Views: 102
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for taking the time to respond.  Would you expect these to be a one-time solution, i.e. as I understand, eliminating fast start up is actually a "harder shutdown".  Once that hard shutdown is accomplished, would you expect I could resume the fast start up or am I stuck operating in that mode forever?

I have also seen the restart graphics adapter solution somewhere and I assume that is a one-time solution as well.  When I am in this situation, I am at windows logon screen and don't know if any of the Control+ Win+ etc key commands work?

Thanks again for the help.

schmidtj
802.11n
Views: 95
Message 4 of 4

IMO this is a Windows 10 1903 issue and therefore in MS's wheelhouse.

Turning Fast Startup ON will cause the issue to return.

If you want to keep Fast Startup you can restart the Video Driver every time you reboot with the above hot key sequence.

Since I bypass the logon screen I do not know if you can restart the Video Driver at that poing. Sorry.

Neither is an ideal solution.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors