cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BungalowBob
Paper Tape
Views: 1,751
Message 1 of 6

T460 sound via HDMI with dockingstation, no sound via direct connection to HDMI port

Hi,

I've a strange problem with the sound output via HDMI. If my T460 is connected to a dockingstation and my monitor is connected to the station via HDMI cable I've sound output from the speakers. So everything works fine and I can also the monitor as device for sound outpu at the sound options. Then I change only one thing at my setup. I directly connect the monitor with the same HDMI cable directly to the HDMI port of my notebook. The video signal is still transmitted perfectly but the sound is gone. Also the device for sound is gone from the sound options.

I've only graphics from the intel on board chip and all drivers are uptodate. I also reinstalled them several times.

What can I do to solve this problem? Always use the dockingstation is no option, because I also want to connect the notebook to a TV or so and I can't carry a dockingstation with me all the time.

Thanks for help!

BungalowBob
Paper Tape
Views: 1,741
Message 2 of 6

Re: T460 sound via HDMI with dockingstation, no sound via direct connection to HDMI port

BungalowBob
Paper Tape
Views: 1,686
Message 3 of 6

Re: T460 sound via HDMI with dockingstation, no sound via direct connection to HDMI port

Update: This workaround only works for a PC monitor. When I tried it at my TV I only got the video output and the only audio output device were the notebook speakers.

Very disapointing when I tried to watch a movie.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,683
Message 4 of 6

@BungalowBob wrote:
If my T460 is connected to a dockingstation and my monitor is connected to the station via HDMI cable I've sound output from the speakers.
Then I change only one thing at my setup. I directly connect the monitor with the same HDMI cable directly to the HDMI port of my notebook.

Hi,

I don't have a fix for you Smiley Sad  The implication of your statement is that the dock is still connected when you go direct to the laptop?  Is that the case?  (I don't think so...)  Do you get sound via HDMI direct if you disconnect from the dock?

It may help others help you to have that detail.

regards,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

BungalowBob
Paper Tape
Views: 1,669
Message 5 of 6

The notebook was still at the station when I directly pluged in the hdmi cable to the port at the notebook and booted my computer. I checked also the case if the cabel is connected while the notebook isn't at the station. No audio output device. While running I docked it at the station and connected the monitor via the station and within a couple the audio device was avaible and worked as it should.

It is a very wiered problem.

BungalowBob
Paper Tape
Views: 1,620
Message 6 of 6

Solution:

Download the newest Intel HD Graphics Driver (ver. 22.20.16.483 from 14.12.2017) and install it. After a reboot sound worked perfectly with devices connected via HDMI cable & port.

Short link to the driver at lenovo.com I used:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/de/de/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-T-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-...

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors