Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
L-VonMatterhorn
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,570
Message 1 of 8

T460 won't boot: "to interrupt normal strat up, press Enter"

Hello community, hope you can help out me here Smiley Happy

well, my T460 it's been like this for a few days already, I can't find a suitable solution because I didn't find the exact same problem on the forum. It just won't boot W10 pro, not even a single time. It has happened before a couple of times, but eventually it worked and booted w10.

The first time it didn't show the "to interrupt normal strat up, press Enter" message, but after the second try it does, although Enter doesn't help, nor switch ON/OFF quickly does. I've also tried to fully charge it (it has the save battery lifespan mode ON, so about 85% is the max it can charge)

I run out of things to try, hope together can come to a suitable solution. Thank you! 

L-VonMatterhorn
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,547
Message 2 of 8

Re: T460 won't boot: "to interrupt normal strat up, press Enter"

Update#1
Yesterday I opened the laptop, unplugged the internal battery, 2x RAM slots and SSD to check if everything was well connected (it seemed so)

After replug everything back, tried again, and this time the screen won't show any Lenovo logo, no display at all Smiley Sad

WeChat Image_20181029122417.jpg
L-VonMatterhorn
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,510
Message 3 of 8

update #2

I've opened it again and switched the RAM modules a few times (non sense), the Lenovo logo is back with the "to interrupt normal strat up, press Enter" message, just like at the beginning, Enter key won't launch the BIOS.

BTW, the Fn key combinations work (I tried lite keyboard up and silence the sound through led on F1)

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,506
Message 4 of 8

It is hard to be sure without seeing it.  If I had to guess,, and I stress the word guess, I would say that the hanging at startup was the SSD getting sick and timing out.  Then, when you took it apart without disabling the internal battery, you blew a fuse on the motherboard.  If that is true, if you shine a flashlight into the screen from the side when you turn it on, you will see a faint image of the Lenovo startup screen.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
L-VonMatterhorn
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,500
Message 5 of 8

Thanks for your message. I just edit the previous message, the Lenovo logo is back full bright after switching the RAM modules, so we're back on the OP problem: can't boot w10, nor access the BIOS... any ideas? You think the EVO SSD might be it? It would launch BIOS anyway, right?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,489
Message 6 of 8

I was typing when you mentioned the RAM swap, so forget what I said about the fuse.  A drive that times out will not let you get to the BIOS.  Pull out the SSD and see is you can boot normally into the BIOS.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
L-VonMatterhorn
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,479
Message 7 of 8

Thanks, will try tonight when I get home and upate the thread Smiley Happy

L-VonMatterhorn
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,438
Message 8 of 8

SOLVED

It was the SSD, thanks for the help!!

I took it off and I was able to launch the BIOS, plus I installed an SSD from my other laptop and it booted w10, so new SSD it is... I was afraid it could be sth more expensive, but it's OK

The question now is EVO 850 VS EVO 860, the 850 seems to be faster, both 3DTLC

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors