Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tu86r
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,203
Message 1 of 6

T460P ssd upgrade

Hi all,

I have the t460p shipped with a Toshiba NVME SSD - Full spec name:  THNSF5256GCJ7 Toshiba XG3 Series 256GB MLC PCI Express 3.1 x4 NVMe (SED / TCG Opal 2.0) SATA Express 2.5-inch Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Recently i had the opportunity to buy a Transcend MTS400 M.2 (42mm) ssd for cheap (90 bucks) via a friend, this means it will occupy the WWAN slot. 

• Question 1: Will both drives work in this scenario? Or do i have to replace the toshiba with a regular 2.5" SSD (like a Samsung 850 evo/pro) in order to also use the Transcend alongside it.

• Question 2: Will i get performance benefits replacing the Toshiba with a regular 2.5" Samsung 850?

I have seen that user ¨otheos¨ managed to get a M2 2280 PCIe NVMe ssd working, using a adapter bracket from a T470 (M.2 2280 SSD AdapterBracket, Lenovo FRU 01HY319). If i go for this solution, the WWAN slot will be useless because it gets deactived according to his findings - so this is not an option for me.

Please help me clearup some questionmarks Smiley Happy my aim is a maximum performance setup.

otheos
802.11n
Views: 3,084
Message 2 of 6

Re: T460P ssd upgrade

My findings so far:

The Toshiba drive is fast because it uses both PCI lanes. Expecte 1500MB/s read, 1000MB/s write (according to review on Youtube)

Swapping the Toshiba drive with a SATA SSD 2.5 like the 850 Evo or even Pro will give you more storage but peak read/write will be in the 500MB/s region. 

Keep in mind that sequential read/write is NOT the only characteristic that matter in real life performance, but I have no evidence to make a claim on whether there will be a difference in performance from the Toshiba to the 850 drive.

The WWAN 42mm slot does NOT work with a SATA SSD when the 2.5 slot is occupied with a SATA Express (either Toshiba or T470p M.2 to SATA Express caddy). I have tested the latter, and there is evidence for the former on the same german review of the T460p I mentioned in pt. 1

The mod with the caddy uses the unit from the T470p (FRU 01HY319), NOT that of the T470. The unit from the T470 is different, has a separate wire that connects to the mainboard.

The caddy from the T460p connects a PCIe 4x SSD to  SATA Express that only has TWO PCIe lanes. As such don't expecte manufactures quoted performance of the SSD if it is more than 2000MB/s. But I will test a bit more and get back later on this. 

Using your Trascent M.2 drive with a T470p caddy will NOT produce any advantage in performance as this unit is a SATA drive. This is a waste of time.

At this point, you cannot use the M.2 you bought with the Toshiba or the T470p caddy. you have two options.

Sell Toshiba and Transcend and buy caddy + 1TB PCIe SSD. If you can afford that, it's great. 

The other option is to use your Toshiba and mod your laptop to use the M.2 via USB. 

I haven't tried this yet, but I will soon.

The USB3 port on the right side (power button) is on a separate mini board that attaches to the mainboad with cable and two screews on the chassis. I currently have a spare mSATA SSD which I had connected with an M.2 to mSATA adaptor in the WWAN port. In your case you have your M.2 Transcend. I have bought an mSATA to USB3 board (tiny thing) and an M.2 to USB3 board also exists for around £15 ($15). 

I plan to remove the USB port from under the power button and fold the wire inside where the CMOS battery is (plenty of space there and no other components. I will then connect my mSATA to USB3 to that port and effectively have an SSD internally connected to USB3. This gives me plenty of space (512GB) and good speeds for extra storage without having external dongles or having to buy anything else. 

I have not tried this mod yet, I will next week and report back. The only problem is space inside the laptop but I think I will make it.

Thinkpad T480s, Thinkpad T460p
otheos
802.11n
Views: 3,150
Message 3 of 6

Just to make sure we got this correct, the caddy that works in the T460p is that of the T470p with FRU 01HY319. The T470 (not p) has a different caddy with a separate wire to connect to the mainboard and it DOES NOT work with the T460p (or T470p).

You can either change the Toshiba with a SATA SSD (850 Evo/Pro) but I have no comment about the performance. Sequential read/write for the Toshiba is around 1500/1000 and for the 850 is around 500/500MB/s. But sequential speed is not the only indication of performance. 

With a SATA 2.5 drive you will be able to use your M.2 drive as well.

The other option is to sell the Toshiba and your M.2 drive and buy the T470p caddy and a large (1TB) PCIe 2280 M.2 SSD and use that.

My plan is to try to use an M.2 to USB3 miniboard to connect the spare M.2 I got (2242 SATA) internally. I plan to use the USB3 port under the power button that is on a separate board and can be removed. There is space inside the laptop where the CMOS battery is. 

This will allow me to have 512GB of very fast storage (even at higher latency) without any externa devices. But I will need to test and report back, later next week.

Tu86r
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,143
Message 4 of 6

Thanks for the clarification.
I've been looking for the T470P caddy and found it cheap via ebay already;

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T470p-PCIe-M-2-2280-M-Key-auf-2-5-SATA-Express-FRU-01HY319-/...

So i might sell the M.2 drive and the Toshiba drive, and go for a large Samsung 960 PRO or similar..

Only thing that bugs me is that i can't use the M.2 drive then, and only with a regular SSD :/

otheos
802.11n
Views: 3,105
Message 5 of 6

That's a good price. The are €15 on Lenovo's site but orders below €100 have a €15 postage cost, so you better get the one off of ebay.

When it comes to buyiung an NVMe SSD, don't go with the ridiculous expensive and fast ones, as you are limited to only 2x PCIe. As such you will not see more than 1800MB/s rates.

This is my 960 Evo in the pictureCapture.PNG

It is rated at 3000+ read speeds. I wish I had spent less and got a WD Blue (the one I tested with). I would have saved a bit of money.

Tu86r
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,083
Message 6 of 6

@otheos Those speeds are not bad!

I might as well go for the WD or EVO 960 depending on the prices.

For the Transcend 42mm SSD i bought, i found a little sleek looking external case. Upon moving the test set-up to a USB 3.1 port, the maximum recorded speeds were similar to that of the native M.2 SATA interface (see Benchmark results). 

I might as well keep this as a external disk if i can't sell it. 

IMG_20170227_222650 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors