Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
neoxid501
Fanfold Paper
Views: 23,755
Message 1 of 6

T460S Ram Upgrade

Hello, I am considering purchasing the T460S however I have a question about the SODIMM slot.

Is the DDR4 slot visible once the maintenance hatch is opened on the bottom? And if so, are any sorts of driver updates required for the RAM to operate correcly, or would getting any 4GB DDR4 SODIMM stick work fine (with equal or higher clock speeds)?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 23,722
Message 2 of 6

Re: T460S Ram Upgrade

Hello and welcome,

This should help with the 1st question:  Hardware Maintenance Manual - ThinkPad T460s

As to the 2nd, no drivers should be necessary.

And for the implied 3rd,  I'd be inclined to use memory manufacturer's compatibility tools.  As an example, here's what Crucial has to say:  http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Lenovo/thinkpad-t460s

Another point of reference:  http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool%5CSys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad%20T460s/ThinkPad_T460s_Platform_Specific...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

neoxid501
Fanfold Paper
Views: 23,699
Message 3 of 6

So I've never successfully installed RAM on my own before haha...

I should be able to just install the compatible stick, turn on the computer and Windows should recognize the extra available memory right?
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 23,677
Message 4 of 6

That's the way it should go as long as you have a 64-bit version of Windows.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Bobbo756
What's DOS?
Views: 18,258
Message 5 of 6

On the crucial website, it lists both 2133mhz and 2400mhz.  Lenovo lists the max ram speed at 2133mhz.  Is there any advantage to using the higher 2400mhz ram?

neoxid501
Fanfold Paper
Views: 13,286
Message 6 of 6

Mega late reply haha

I don't think so no, RAM should always operate at the slowest clock. Also RAM upgrade worked without a hitch so ya Smiley Tongue

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors