Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ffxxt
Paper Tape
Views: 3,367
Message 1 of 10

T460S stuck key help!!

Hi All,

I've got a new think pad t460s, and my Ctrl button is acting sticky. When I press on it, it sticks downwards and takes awhile to pop up again. 

I did did spill some sticky liquid over the keyboard ytd but I wiped it up real quick and I am pretty sure the Ctrl key was not affected (I don't think it got onto the Ctrl key, and the other keys that got the liquid are fine). 

I've tried to peer under the Ctrl key and I don't see any sticky residue but clearly something isn't right! Is it safe to remove the key to give it a clean? And if so, could anyone provide some guidance on how to do so? I've done some googling but it appears that some keyboards cannot be dismantled this way and I would run the risk of ruining the key completely. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you!!

pwsymonds
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,339
Message 2 of 10

Re: T460S stuck key help!!

If you spilt something on the keyboard, and now its sticky, it sounds like it could be the reason to be honest.

Anyway, check this link out

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/pd104003

With the keyboard removed, you might find it easier to clean the underneath of the individual key. 

ffxxt
Paper Tape
Views: 3,319
Message 3 of 10

Thank you so much for your reply!! I apologize in advance for my disastrous lack of computer knowledge- but what would be the best way to clean underneath each individual key? Would dismantling the key be a possibility? Or would I be better off trying to get an interdental floss of some sort (the sort with a tiny brush at the end) and wiggling it beneath the key? 

@pwsymonds wrote:

If you spilt something on the keyboard, and now its sticky, it sounds like it could be the reason to be honest.

Anyway, check this link out

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/pd104003

With the keyboard removed, you might find it easier to clean the underneath of the individual key. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,309
Message 4 of 10

I have never had good luck cleaning keyboards after a spill.  The keys can be removed and you can clean under them with pure alcohol, but if you have never done it, they are easy to break.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Highlighted
ffxxt
Paper Tape
Views: 3,299
Message 5 of 10

Sigh, I feared as much. Alright I'll try to give gentle cleaning a go, thanks very much for your input! Appreciate it. 

@richk wrote:

I have never had good luck cleaning keyboards after a spill.  The keys can be removed and you can clean under them with pure alcohol, but if you have never done it, they are easy to break.

Guru
Views: 3,259
Message 6 of 10

Go slow when trying to remove the key. I find that removing and replacing them isn't terribly difficult with the keyboard removed from the machine. The difficult part is repositioning the key back onto the keyboard. If you slide things around too much, then the little button underneath can come undone. Once that little silicone button is removed, the key tends to not work at all.

Cleaning it with alcohol is your best bet. I'd also dry everything off with a can of electronics cleaner and let it sit out overnight to make sure it has dried completely before reattaching the keyboard.

The good news is that replacing a keyboard isn't terribly difficult. You are going to do everything to you'd have to do to replace it to clean it anyway. So, if cleaning it doesn't work go ahead and order a new keyboard if spills aren't covered by your warranty.

X1 Carbon 3rd Gen Type 20BT i7-5500U, 2560x1440 (non-touch), Win 10 Pro, 8GB RAM, 512 SSD, Intel 7625 WiFi, BT 4.0 | ThinkVision P24q-10 monitor

------------------------------------------
When asking for help, post your question in the forum. Remember to include your system type, model number, and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help others with the same question in the future.
ffxxt
Paper Tape
Views: 3,241
Message 7 of 10

Thank you very much for your detailed reply!

So what I've done so far-

(1) Tilted the laptop and looked under the key (as much as possible) under a bright desk lamp. Did not see residue of any sort. 

(2) Cleaned around and under the key with an alcohol swab. Swab came out completely clean. 

I reckon if the malfunctioning key was indeed caused by the spill, I would see at least some sort of residue, which I did not. So I'm pretty sure I wiped everything up when spill happened (it wasn't a major spill and I cleaned it up quickly). Also, strangely enough, since my initial post, I realized that the key works perfectly well at times, and starts to get stuck (with a weird clicking sound when pressed) out of the blue. 

After reading all the comments, I think I am not confident enough in removing and replacing the key without doing any permanent damage. So I guess a trip to the IT support center (it's a work laptop) is in order if this key doesn't spontaneously resolve by itself- been avoiding it, because the wait is horrendous and it's  generally a pain to make the visit. 

Thanks again to all for your advice!

@nibs wrote:

Go slow when trying to remove the key. I find that removing and replacing them isn't terribly difficult with the keyboard removed from the machine. The difficult part is repositioning the key back onto the keyboard. If you slide things around too much, then the little button underneath can come undone. Once that little silicone button is removed, the key tends to not work at all.

Cleaning it with alcohol is your best bet. I'd also dry everything off with a can of electronics cleaner and let it sit out overnight to make sure it has dried completely before reattaching the keyboard.

The good news is that replacing a keyboard isn't terribly difficult. You are going to do everything to you'd have to do to replace it to clean it anyway. So, if cleaning it doesn't work go ahead and order a new keyboard if spills aren't covered by your warranty.

@nibs wrote:

Guru
Views: 3,234
Message 8 of 10

I hope the wait isn't too bad. Let us know what happens.
X1 Carbon 3rd Gen Type 20BT i7-5500U, 2560x1440 (non-touch), Win 10 Pro, 8GB RAM, 512 SSD, Intel 7625 WiFi, BT 4.0 | ThinkVision P24q-10 monitor

------------------------------------------
When asking for help, post your question in the forum. Remember to include your system type, model number, and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help others with the same question in the future.
John31415
What's DOS?
Views: 2,006
Message 9 of 10

I have a brand new T460s, and my left control key is acting flakely. I have been using thinkpads exclusively since the triple clocked 386 in 1993/4 or so, and I know the keyboards. I have spilled nothing near it, it is PRISTINE. I have only partly finished copying old files and setting up apps, and have barely used it. YET, the control key fails when I do copy and paste or cut and paste which I do frequently, even without thinking (even while editing this note). This is driving me crazy... Symptoms: I do a control copy (CTL-C) and then a control paste (CTL-V) and I get a "v", not the desired text. Sometimes I go back and try again, and realize the text I was copying was replaced by a "c"... usually, but not always a repeated effort at CTL-Z will restore the original text. The flakey ness is worst with natural typing, but occurs even with a very deliberate two finger CTL-C, pressing the center of the keys. works best pressing on the right edge of the key. I think there may be a manufacturing defect. I MUST have a working IBM (sorry Lenovo) quality keyboard. I want to know if it is ill-advised in the T460x to remove a key, and see if there is a hair or something below it. I've removed keys in other models, and will look online for examples, but would like to know if a) lenovo considers warrantee void if one tries to remove a key to fix such a problem, or b) if they are happy to have a user sort their own issue because they have designed the T460s to be end user serviceble regarding key issues of this type.
John31415
What's DOS?
Views: 2,000
Message 10 of 10

I watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU-iMa4WbZw and removed key without ill effect, removed a small hair fragment, reassembled key, this took a minute. However, the key is still flakey, the hair removal had no discernable benefit.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors