Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AlanHouston
Paper Tape
Views: 4,692
Message 31 of 39

Re: T460p Intel PTT EK Recertification Service High CPU usage

SHORT ANSWER:  Sign onto Windows using your full Microsoft password and do NOT use a PIN code to sign on.  That may solve the problem.

LONG ANSWER:  If Intel PTT is locking your CPU useage at 100%, pin the Task Manager to the task bar and "kill" Intel PTT whenever it pops up.  You can permanently solve the problem by using your full password to sign into Windows rather than a PIN code.

If Intel PTT still is popping up, go into the program files, find the Intel folder and rename the two files that begin "Intel PTT" by adding a "2" to their names.  You delete the "2" later to restore the files if you chose.

After you rename the "Intel PTT" files, it will NOT be possible to use a PIN code to sign into Windows.  You can also turn off PIN codes by pressing F2 at the beginning of computer startup, opening BIOS, then

editing BIOS by pressing "clear" next to Intel PTT in the BIOS security entries or by pressing "Disable" next to Intel PTT.  The press "Save" and press "exit".

The mystery:  Intel, Microsoft and Lenovo have been getting hundreds of complaints about this problem for two years.  Why do they ALL ignore the problem?  Why are dummies such as me forced to spend many hours coming up with solutions?

Highlighted
AlanHouston
Paper Tape
Views: 4,685
Message 32 of 39

Hi Jan,

I have the basic Ideapad 320-15IAP with the Celeron CPU and 4gb of RAM.  As of April 26, 2018, I have all of the latest updates from Microsoft and from Lenovo, including the new updated edition of BIOS.  When I sign into Windows using a PIN code, the Intel PTT function locks the CPU use at 100% , turning the laptop into a paperweight.

The temporary solution was to pin the Task Manager to the task bar and then close the Intel PTT function each time it appears.  The permanent solution is to turn off the PIN code sign on.  I went to BIOS and pressed "clear" next to "Intel PTT".  That erased my PIN code.  I was then required to sign on to Windows using my full Microsoft password.  To permanently block the use of PIN code sign on, BIOS has the option to "disable" Intel PTT.  

Next, I went into program files to the Intel folder and changed the name of the two Intel PTT files by adding a "2" to their names. ensuring that Windows can no longer inititate the Intel PTT process.

My CPU now runs in the normal 10% to 40% range and my Ideapad 320 is now an actual useful computer, not a paperweight.  My guess is that EVERY Ideapad 320 owner with current software who is using a PIN code to sign into Windows has their CPU locked at 100%.  That is a LOT of upset customers.

CTHennry
Paper Tape
Views: 4,375
Message 33 of 39

Hi all:

I own a new ideapad 2in1 11, Model 81CX (Win10) since a few weeks.

Everything is updated.

Yesterday, suddenly, the CPU usage was 100%, mainly driven

by the Intel EK Recert. Process. In Task Manager I stopped it

with End Task, but after a restart it comes back again.

Meanwhile I checked this problem online and didn't find any

good solution.

Does anybody know a fix for this?

I appreciate your comments

Best regards

CTHennry

rafaelscheel
What's DOS?
Views: 3,583
Message 34 of 39

Hello,

I had the same problem and it drove me crazy... After some searching, i realized that this is part of the software "intel management engine". Uninstalling "intel management engine" solved the problem for me.

Probably installing it again afterwards is a smart idea.

Behind this, is basically the Intel ME technology (for german speakers: https://www.heise.de/ct/hotline/FAQ-Intel-Management-Engine-3978291.html). Intel ME is still active (you can check that in the Bios). 

tESTING
What's DOS?
Views: 2,966
Message 35 of 39

I updated graphics driver via Intel Official page https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html Problem gone away.

tESTING
What's DOS?
Views: 2,961
Message 36 of 39

Also directx installed properly. Forget to mention that.

YTshashmeera
What's DOS?
Views: 1,934
Message 37 of 39

I first went to task manager,right clicked and clicked "go to details",then i right clicked again and set the priority to low and affinity to cpu3(i had a quad core)

that kinda gives me more room to work with my work without damaging any vital programs or security systems.
ALCINEY
Paper Tape
Views: 1,045
Message 38 of 39

Efetue uma inicialização limpa do sistema:

1. Pressione as teclas Windows+R para abrir o Menu Executar;

2. No Menu Executar digite Msconfig e clique em Ok;

3. Na guia Geral clique em Inicialização Normal;

4. Clique na aba Serviços e selecione Ativar tudo;

5. Habilite a opção Ocultar todos os serviços Microsoft e clique em Desativar tudo;

6. Clique em Aplicar > Ok.

Desativando serviços de terceiros no Gerenciador de Tarefas:

1. Pressione as teclas CTRL+SHIFT+ESC e clique em Mais detalhes;

2. Clique na guia Inicializar e desative todos os programas manualmente;

3. Feche o Gerenciador de Tarefas.

NOTA: Este procedimento desabilita todos serviços e programas de terceiros. Você pode posteriormente, se o problema for solucionado desta forma, habilitar os programas e serviços que serão inicializados com o Windows, seletivamente, ao invés de manter todos desativados. Se o problema voltar após ativação da inicialização de um serviço ou programa em especifico, o problema está exatamente na inicialização deste software e é recomendável removê-lo.

PC_LenovoPT
Paper Tape
Views: 416
Message 39 of 39

My AIO 510-23ISH All-in-One (ideacentre) desktop was having an high cpu usage since I blocked Intel(R) Technology Access LegacyCsLoaderService connections over my firewall, but finally (kudos to this forum! ;-) ) I was able to uninstall Intel's Management Engine services over C:\DRIVERS\AMT\ running SetupME.exe (since there was no uninstalling option over default windows programs manager). 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors