AT

5 Signins

149 Page Views

• Views: 149
  • Message 1 of 2

T460p Lid Sensor Replacement

2019-10-04, 9:38 AM

Hello,

Since a few days ago, my T460p is switching off the Display randomly (and going into standby), which is really annoying. This does not just happen when booted into Windows, but can sometimes also be seen during boot. I think the issue is caused by a (semi-)broken lid switch as the phenomenom can be perfectly reproduced by holding a magnet just right above the area between the headphone jack and the fan outlets on the left side of the keyboard. I already tested the left side of the display frame with a needle and there is a magnet just above the rubber spacer. This means the magnet would be at the described place bewteen headphone jack and fan outlet when the lid is closed.

Since I don't have warranty anymore I would like to replace the sensor/switch on my own. However, I am unable to find a replacement part. So, I was wondering if the sensor may be placed on the audio card (https://download.lenovo.com/Images/Parts/01AV906/01AV906_details.jpg - maybe the component labeled U0101?). Is anyone here able to confirm this? I would like to know that before disassembling my notebook :)

Thanks!

Solved! See the solution
Options

3 Posts

01-08-2018

AT

5 Signins

149 Page Views

• Views: 149
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: T460p Lid Sensor Replacement

2019-10-20, 13:49 PM

For anyone with the same problem:
Since I opened the notebook and tested a little bit with a magnetised screw driver bit, I was pretty sure that the mentioned component on the audio board was the sensor. So, I ordered a used audio board (01AV906 / NS-A613) for about € 22 and replaced the card. Everything is working fine so far and the screen flickering/stand-by issues are gone. Be aware that you have to remove the heatsinks/fan-unit to reach the screws for the audio board. This means you should repaste both GPU and CPU. So, be sure that you have some isopropyl alcohol (or some special cleaning wipes) as well as some thermal compound around. The whole repair process took me about 45 minutes.

Cheers!

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save