Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Termsofservice
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,061
Message 1 of 17

T460p Major Display Issue

Hey folks, hoping I'm just missing something obvious here and it's not my device:

Something that has started to happen frequently on my brand new T460p is driving me nuts. My display (FHD non-touch) turns off, per the power settings, after 5 minutes of inactivity while on battery power. I prefer to keep this setting active as the display will eat up battery pretty quickly. When I click around to wake the display it will come back on but the cursor will not be visible. I can right click, the screen goes black, left click, the screen comes back. It will flicker whenever something is done that would change what's on the screen. I have to force the computer to sleep with the power button then bring it back awake using the power button and everything seems to be fine after that.

There is no reason why a fairly expensive laptop that is brand new should be having trouble turning it's display back on. I haven't dropped the laptop, I haven't handled it roughly. I've had it for about 2.5 weeks now and love everything about it, but I really need to get this display issue resolved. I've checked my drivers and the Lenovo tool says my system is up to date, and I keep the dGPU up to date as well.

Could it be a problem with the system deconflicting which GPU drives the display? Has anyone else had this problem with their T460-series laptop? I feel like this must be a hardware/software interface issue that can be resolved somehow. Any help or feedback is greatly appreciated.

Palaeiil
Paper Tape
Views: 1,051
Message 2 of 17

Re: T460p Major Display Issue

Hey

Seems most likely a drive issue. u can either use lenovo support to update or iobit driver booster. if not fixed try contacting lenovo and see if they can help. You could also uninstall the driver by device manager, which would make the device update by force 

Termsofservice
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,044
Message 3 of 17

Any suggestion on whether I should ditch both the iGPU and dGPU drivers, or just the iGPU since it runs the display for everything except specific applications?

Palaeiil
Paper Tape
Views: 1,015
Message 4 of 17

Not quite sure what your dGPU is, but usually what happens is that your dGPU will be the one choosing between iGPU or dGPU. At least for most of my laptops, that was the case. Go to support.lenovo.com and do a diagnostic test, see if anything happens. Also try putting the laptop on either performance mode or saving mode, to see if using only one gpu will fix the problem. 

For the drivers, update both, and if you go to the gpu settings, you can choose how you'd like to be set up, changing, or just one gpu. I personally would prefare the iGPU most of the times, as I use a desktop if in need of quality work. 

Driver booster is honestly the best method to update your gpu, usually works best! (I wouldn't pay for it, as it's not more useful, the free version will do the work) 

sometwo
Paper Tape
Views: 959
Message 5 of 17

Hi did you manage to solve your issue? I have this problem too. I tried updating and reinstalling my drivers but the issues still persist. Would love to know how you managed to resolve your problem if you have!
Termsofservice
Fanfold Paper
Views: 951
Message 6 of 17

So, an update, but  not quite a solution: For whatever reason when I attempt to wake the display by moving the cursor with the trackpad (don't use the trackpoint, so I'm not sure if it applies there, too), it will have this error. As a little gee-whiz I decided to try to ONLY wake the display by pressing a key. I.e. mouse click or keyboard strike. Interestingly enough this seems to be an adequate work-around for me. Or I guess I should say my problem hasn't occured again since I started doing this. Time will tell if it's dumb luck or actually the trackpad.

In a perfect world (or at least a quality-controlled/user tested one...) this would not be an issue. My guess is the trackpad might turn off like a normal mouse would, and then in conjunction with the trackpad being used, the cursor moving, and the display having to wake something just kind of gets confused. Again, it could just be dumb luck and my problem will crop up again soon.

So to be more specific about what I did: I made sure that my computer sleep timer and my display turn-off timer were adequately spaced apart. My display turns off after 5 mins of inactivity on battery. Computer sleeps after 10 minutes of inactivity on battery. Maybe make sure you have some decent separation between these two timers first as a display turn-off and simultaneous system sleep could feasibly cause issues. In conjunction with that whenever I want to wake my display I click the left click button only. I don't touch the trackpad or trackpoint, just left-click.

Try this out and let me know if it works for you too. It'd be great to pinpoint this problem and have more than just ONE anecdote. I'll post another update if my issue returns.

sometwo
Paper Tape
Views: 940
Message 7 of 17

Hi thanks for posting your workaround! Now that you mention it I do seem to only have this issue when waking the display using the trackpoint.

However, I can verify that a simultaneous display turn-off and system sleep is probably not the issue. My display off timer and computer sleep timer is currently well-spaced apart and I usually wake my display before the system goes to sleep. The issue only seems to appear when I wake my display before the system goes to sleep. I have not encountered such an issue after a system sleep.

I will try out your solution and hopefully that solves the issue.
Termsofservice
Fanfold Paper
Views: 925
Message 8 of 17

I don't have the issue after system sleep either, just with the display sleep. Hopefully what I suggested helps out. I'm not really sure what it might be otherwise. Please post if you come up with something else!

sometwo
Paper Tape
Views: 902
Message 9 of 17

I just had this issue when I used my mouse to wake the display. Perhaps this issue may be triggered when the cursor is moved and it is not just isolated to the trackpad (I don't use the trackpoint either so I am not too sure about that)
Termsofservice
Fanfold Paper
Views: 894
Message 10 of 17

Still no issues when using a mouse click to wake, though? Really strange... Maybe it's something with how the cursor is animated. Or maybe it has something to do with something on the display changing before the display is awake. It'd be nice to have confirmation from a couple other people, but at least between us we can narrow it down to the cursor moving to wake the display.

It'd be nice to have a solution instead of just a workaround, too. . .

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors