Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andreasd
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,064
Message 1 of 4

T460p: Recurring issue with trackpoint & touchpad after sleep / resume

I have a very annoying problem with my T460p: When suspending the laptop and turning it on again, the trackpad and touchpad devices stop working entirely (no response at all). The problem cannot be fixed by rebooting the machine and can only be resolved by completely powering down the laptop, removing the battery and restarting it afterwards.

Symptoms:

* During  boot, a message "PS/2 mouse not detected" shows up.

* The Windows device manager shows the synaptics touchpad as not functioning.

* The problem occurs both under Windows and Linux (Ubuntu 16.04)

I am running the latest BIOS version and have updated all drivers on the machine. I have also checked all BIOS settings. Lenovo already replaced the laptop twice, but the problem persists, hence I conclude that it's either a problem in all of the synaptics components or related to something else.

I have found many similar bug reports in this forum and elsewhere, not only for the T460p but also other models like the T440 series, hence this is not an isolated case.

Please bring this problem to the attention of the support staff, as this is something that is completely unacceptable for a laptop in this price range (especially since everything else is working perfectly).

The laptop has the following configuration btw:

* i7 6600HQ processor

* 20 GB Ram (4 GB on-board + 16 GB extra RAM)

* 2 TB HDD + 512 GB SSD via M.2 slot

* Otherwise standard configuration

Thanks for your help!

Puppy
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,036
Message 2 of 4

Re: T460p: Recurring issue with trackpoint & touchpad after sleep / resume

It indicates typical BIOS bug of ThinkPad .60 series. There are a lots of them. Have you tried to load BIOS default values ?

andreasd
Fanfold Paper
Views: 998
Message 3 of 4

Well I did not change any of the BIOS settings (apart from disabling secure boot, which kept Linux from booting), will give it a try though, thanks for pointing this out.

evanbarn
Paper Tape
Views: 728
Message 4 of 4

I did reset to the default bios settings and I can tell that it does not help. It also does not help to turn off the trackpad and/or touchpad in the bios settings. On my T460P it happens every 15 (cold) boots or something like that. Very annoying because you have to remove the battery and power and to reconnect after 5 seconds ... to give it another try.

To repeat the symptoms: At boot time, the message 'PS/2 mouse not detected' is displayed and the mouse and trackpad do not work.

Lenovo did replace the 'upper cover' with attached touchpad but the problem still appears.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors