Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andreasd
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,556
Message 1 of 28

T460p: Trackpad & Touchpad stop working

Unfortunately, the trackpad and touchpad of my T460p stop working intermittently. The problem seems to occur after the laptop is going into hibernation. When it boots up afterwards, neither the trackpad nor the touchpad or the mouse buttons work, and the device manager shows the Synaptics device having a hardware issue. The problem persists when rebooting the system and even when using a different operation system (e.g. Ubuntu via a Live USB).

I tried upgrading the Synaptics drivers (v19.0.19.1), which does not solve the problem though. I also tried different driver versions (e.g. the ones offered on the Lenovo site), without success. I encountered this problem both on Windows 10 Home & Windows 10 Enterprise Edition, as well as various Linux flavors (Ubuntu, Fedora).

The only workaround that I found is to shut down the laptop, remove the battery and reboot it afterwards, which seems to reset the faulty state the touchpad is in. I strongly suspect that this is a problem with the firmware of either the mainboard or the Synpatics device itself, which puts it into an invalid state when going into hibernation.

For now, I disabled hibernation mode, which avoids the problem but is not ideal of course.

Did someone else run into this problem? Any ideas how to permanently fix this? I'm very happy with the T460p otherwise but this problem just drives me crazy as it's impossible to use a laptop without touchpad/trackpad when traveling.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 12,517
Message 2 of 28

Re: T460p: Trackpad & Touchpad stop working

I could not reproduce this, but based on what you are saying I think it might be a BIOS problem (not a driver/firmware problem).  Can you please check what version of BIOS you are using?  I am using 2.03 from here:

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/ThinkPad-T-Series-laptops/ThinkPad-T46...

andreasd
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,488
Message 3 of 28

Yes I applied all updates from the Lenovo website (BIOS included), they don't solve the problem.

I tried installing a different version of Windows 10 through my MSDN subscription (Home, Enterprise, Enterprise Inside) as well as several Linux flavors (Fedora 23, Ubuntu 16.04, Mint Linux), but all of them have the same problem.

This is really frustrating as it's such a basic function of the laptop that is essential to get any work done.

I already contacted the Lenovo support several times about the issue and asked if I could get the laptop replaced, which they said was not possible and that I could only send it back and order it again (which I don't want to do as I bought it with a 7 % discount that is no longer available). What is even more frustrating is that no one at Lenovo seems to acknowledge the problem or be able to offer a good solution to me, which is something that I've never experienced in my 10 years as a Lenovo customer so far.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 12,483
Message 4 of 28

I have never seen or heard of this problem before.

Can you please try loading default settings in BIOS Setup?

I'm wondering if there is some non-default BIOS setting that is causing this problem...

andreasd
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,475
Message 5 of 28

Thanks for the quick reply, I just tried this but it doesn't help. The BIOS version is R07ET63W (2.03, dated 2016-03-15), the Firmware Driver Version is R07HT13W (1.03).

Now even taking out the battery and completely powering off the system does not resolve the problem.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 12,473
Message 6 of 28

I'm thinking there must be some hardware problem unique to your system.  Probably the best thing to do is request warranty service/repair, or else return the system if you are still within the time where you are able to do so.  I'm sorry but I really don't know what else to suggest.

andreasd
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,471
Message 7 of 28

Thanks, I will do that. I tried updating the BIOS again to v2.04 but saw no change.

andreasd
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,347
Message 8 of 28

So I finally got a replacement for my T460p and it has exactly the same problem:

The touchpad works fine initially but when putting the laptop in suspend mode and waking it again, the device stops working. Rebooting does not help, the only solution seems to be to fully disconnect the laptop from any power source and restart it afterwards.

As the problem shows up in two different systems I have to conclude that it's a driver/firmware issue rather than a hardware problem. After doing some research it seems I'm not the only one having issues with Synaptics touchpads, albeit on other systems:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-11e-Windows-E-and-Edge/Touchpad-permanently-not-working-after-...

Any suggestions?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 12,342
Message 9 of 28

I still have no idea about this problem.  It doesn't happen on any of my systems here.

Are you using the Lenovo preload, or something else?

Are you using all default BIOS settings, or something else?

Can you tell me how to set up the system to reproduce this problem?

andreasd
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,335
Message 10 of 28

I use Windows 10 Professional 64 bit (10.0.10586). In the BIOS, I enabled the legacy boot option (as I installed Linux on the system). I also enabled virtualization features of the CPU, as I use Virtualbox to run a virtualized Ubuntu installation (16.04) on Windows. I installed all drivers from the Lenovo website and updated the BIOS firmware to the latest version. I use the Synaptics driver version 19.0.17.30 (I tried using older drivers as well though).

I could imagine that the virtualization might cause the problem with the mouse, although I haven't found any reports of similar issues on the Internet and I was not able to reproduce the problem deterministically. It seems to occur whenever the laptop has been suspended for an extended period of time.

Thanks for investigating this problem in any case, I appreciate the help!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors